First trimester Blood test gender/genetic screening

I meant the nt scan and blood work. Trust me I know what's covered and what's not. (I'm not paying for any additional stuff that's not necessary lol) The new tests like materni21 and panorama are mostly u.s based and as u mentioned just kicking off here. I am in Toronto. I'm personally not interested in those tests, the tests I received are good enough. The nt scan gives me a sneak peek at the lil one between a dating scan and the 20 week anatomy one. I think most ppl love getting those extra tests to find out sex etc rather than to test for abnormalities. But if my doc felt I needed them and they were covered I'm in!

I haven't been offered the panorama test and I have had multiple miscarriages. But I am also 25. Honestly, as I am not high risk for the genetic disorders, I don't really care about it. I am considering staying team yellow (lol that might change) but even if I do want to find out the sex, I can wait until 20 weeks :)

Are you in Massachusetts daisy? It seems like it's offered there more

I'm in Mass. I doubt my old OB would have offered it to me, but the new one I go to is in Boston (state capital, very busy city). My OB offered me pretty much every test under the sun.

I think I just started thinking that maybe Massachusetts was being the front runner since you guys are ahead of the rest of us with the whole health care thing, so maybe you're ahead of us with the tests too? Probably just my pregnancy brain coming up with stuff.

My doctor didn't even offer the NT scan. I was offered basic blood tests at about 16 weeks, but that is too late in my opinion.

Alright! I WIN! So Kaiser DEFINITELY will NOT give you the Panorama Test. So I went straight to the source. Called their 650 #, asked for inside sales, and explained my situation. The sales rep gave me two doctors that they have worked with before who have done them a courtesy (probably for continued referrals) of SOMETIMES taking Kaiser patients. Most doctors do not like to see patients just once. So I called the first one. She was rude as all days. Called the second one and they have me booked for 3/3/15! It is going to cost $754 normally. They do a 50% (I double checked because that seemed INSANE) discount for check or cash. They charge an extra $25 if paying by credit card. Why is March so far away?!?!

I had normal blood testing done. At 28, I wasn't offered any type of Panorama test. Insurance only covers it if the doctor deems it medically necessary. Many doctors seem to be reluctant to do so since so many women are more focused on sexing the baby earlier than their 20 week scan and less concerned about the genetic abnormality results, for which the test is primarily intended.

I heard a couple arguing about it at my doctor's office. I didn't know what they were talking about until reading this thread.
The father just flat out told her she was being selfish just wanting to know the sex early and paying tons of money for an unnecessary test when they should be putting it towards diapers. Humorous but sad at the same time.

Sounds neat, though.

Many doctors seem to be reluctant to do so since so many women are more focused on sexing the baby earlier than their 20 week scan and less concerned about the genetic abnormality results, for which the test is primarily intended.

That is definitely me... I don't know the dad's family's genetic history and I don't want to ask. He's a spooked horse as is. Leaving him alone until the day before my prenatal when I'll shoot him a reminder text, butter him up, and hope he shows.

Most of my genetic concerns I don't think are covered. I did get preggo on some meds that might have genetic effects. My GYN didn't seem concerned, but my mom and coworker were. I am a carrier of the gene that causes bipolar. I know my family has a lot of eye development problems, but I don't think those can be detected. I just want to know ASAP that my baby is healthy so I can start shouting it to the world I'm having one. Extra bonus that I know the gender and can start keeping an eye out for sales and such.

Many doctors seem to be reluctant to do so since so many women are more focused on sexing the baby earlier than their 20 week scan and less concerned about the genetic abnormality results, for which the test is primarily intended.

That is definitely me... I don't know the dad's family's genetic history and I don't want to ask. He's a spooked horse as is. Leaving him alone until the day before my prenatal when I'll shoot him a reminder text, butter him up, and hope he shows.

Most of my genetic concerns I don't think are covered. I did get preggo on some meds that might have genetic effects. My GYN didn't seem concerned, but my mom and coworker were. I am a carrier of the gene that causes bipolar. I know my family has a lot of eye development problems, but I don't think those can be detected. I just want to know ASAP that my baby is healthy so I can start shouting it to the world I'm having one. Extra bonus that I know the gender and can start keeping an eye out for sales and such.

ME TOOOOO!! I can't wait to know the gender! We are going to have the envelope given to us privately though so we can't see the gender and then do a little gender reveal party. Well, I haven't decided. I don't know if I want to know before everyone else or at the same time!! I have been doing the silly little old wives tale tests and so far, it's a pretty close battle!

I thought about doing a baby/sex reveal party. Invite everyone under the false pretense of "I just graduated!" But I'm lazy and I hate parties haha. ;)

I know there are no rules. I've only seen one reveal party. Someone has to know though. To set up it up. The couple I saw had a party planner who did the party and gave them a box filled with either pink or blue balloons.

When the nurse called me with my Panorama results she asked if I granted to know, which of course I did! Then I called OH and told her and then my mother and grandmother haha. So everyone who knows about this pregnancy (just immediate family - my brother, parents, grandparents) know it's a girl. Thought about a reveal party, but everyone wanted to know! When we do our pregnancy announcement later on between 16-20 weeks we will show it's a girl then so people will find our about the pregnancy and gender at the same time.

You know, an alternative to doing a gender reveal party is doing a gender reveal photo shoot. One way is have someone put in the right color balloons in a box and then open the box and the pink or blue balloon fly out while they take pictures of your reaction. There are other cute options, too. I've thought about that as a fun way to find out without finding out in a room full of people. But I really think we'll just find out right away and then take a cute picture of our son holding the sonogram picture and pink or blue balloons to send out to everyone else.

I had the MaterniT21, back in 2012 when I was pregnant with daughter. I think back then it was only offered for high risk ladies, which I was. (1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18 and 1:17 for trisomy 21) When they called with my results and told me baby was clear I was crying so hard with relief I almost forgot to ask about gender LOL And then when she told me it was a girl, the tears started again. (and at the time, I was shopping in Walmart...must have looked mess)

I know this thread is old, but for anyone (like me) looking for information & opinions, I'm 31 & was offered this test. Def new for me bc it wasn't offered when I was pregnant with DD (she's 2 now). Still can't decide what to do though. Didn't get any testing done with DD because we would never abort, and our midwife pretty much presented the testing as "people only do these tests if they would consider aborting." Now that I know better - mental preparedness/ time to research therapists or doctors/ some conditions that can have in uterine surgeries to correct ahead of time/ knowing that my delivery hospital doesn't have a NICU, I'm actually considering it. But, I also know myself & think if something is wrong, if spend my whole pregnancy depressed & grieving, which I don't want to go through either. Just truly don't know what to do...

I know this thread is old, but for anyone (like me) looking for information & opinions, I'm 31 & was offered this test. Def new for me bc it wasn't offered when I was pregnant with DD (she's 2 now). Still can't decide what to do though. Didn't get any testing done with DD because we would never abort, and our midwife pretty much presented the testing as "people only do these tests if they would consider aborting." Now that I know better - mental preparedness/ time to research therapists or doctors/ some conditions that can have in uterine surgeries to correct ahead of time/ knowing that my delivery hospital doesn't have a NICU, I'm actually considering it. But, I also know myself & think if something is wrong, if spend my whole pregnancy depressed & grieving, which I don't want to go through either. Just truly don't know what to do...

If you find out ahead of time though, you have the rest of the pregnancy to prepare for it and read positive stories from other mothers with babies that have went through it; versus finding out after you just went through labor and you're exhausted/emotional. Our daughter was born with a non-serious condition, and it was still a lot to take in on top of everything else, and we're going to be doing whatever we can to find out if our next has the condition as well, just so we're ready.

It's such a personal choice though; good luck with your decision!

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone who wants it done but their doctor will not do it.

I have insurance through Kaiser. My last bfp, I told my gyn I wanted this test done. Mostly because I'm impatient and wanted to know the gender, but both family lines have some genetic issues that I worry about passing on. My doctor refused no matter how persistent I was. She said that they only offered the test to people who were high risk for genetic defects or of advanced maternal age (I was 25 at the time). So I absolutely could not get it done at Kaiser.

Now, I'm persistent. So I called the Panorama company directly and asked them what I should do. They put me in contact with two gyns in my area, but they did say a lot of gyns will not take you just the once. The first one I called was a complete b*. So I did not schedule with her. The second place I called was very accommodating. They even said the test was $750, but if I paid cash they would knock the price down by half!!! So I had it scheduled for 10 weeks. They say you can get it done 8-9 weeks, but the doctor said he had a lot of women try to get it done at 9 weeks and it come back inconclusive so he suggested waiting until 10 weeks. Sadly, I lost that bean at 6 weeks. But once I get my bfp, he will be my first call. :)

Interesting timing of this thread being resurrected. I started the thread with my last pregnancy, but I lost the baby at 9 weeks, unfortunately. I'm pregnant again now (10 weeks), and still wondering about this, haha! I asked my OB and she said to ask the specialty place I'm going for my NT ultrasound when I go there. So I will, but I've already researched my insurance coverage and I don't think they'll cover it for me... so... I may just have to wait until 20 weeks for the gender!
I would do it if it was covered, but at the same time sometimes more testing can lead to unnecessary worries. On the other hand, being prepared for certain things is helpful.

Good luck to those getting it!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->