First trimester Blood test gender/genetic screening

DaisyAnne

Reaction score
I'm really just curious how many of your doctors have asked you if you want to do the first trimester blood test genetic screening where you can also discover the gender?

This wasn't available when I had my son, and I think it is so cool how they can tell so much from a blood test on the mom! I'd love for them to offer it to me, but I've heard that some just offer it out to everyone and other doctors reserve it for over 35 and high risk. How many of your doctors are offering it?

My doctor offered it and I had my blood drawn on Wednesday. I'm 34 and will be 35 when Baby is born, so not sure how helpful that is.

Hopefully someone younger will come along and answer.

I don't see my doctor until 9 weeks. I just emailed her, so when she emails back tomorrow I'll ask her about it. I don't want to flood her email haha. I'm 25 and will be 26 when I give birth. I might even go so far as to request it even if she doesn't offer. I wish they could screen for bi-polar. My grandfather is bi-polar and 3 of my uncles are, only my dad and one uncle managed to avoid having it but they could have been carriers. Which means I could be a carrier. And I would like to mentally prepare myself if my kid is going to be bat you know what cray every now and then.

And I don't know how to write this that doesn't sound like Hermione Granger lol so pleeeease do not take it that way. But the Sociologist in me has to say that just a reminder sex refers to the biological definition of man versus women whereas gender refers to the socially constructed roles. So my sex and gender are both female, but one of my friends is sex male but gender female. He was born physically male but identifies as a female.

Emailed my doctor. She usually gets back to me within a business day. :)

Where I live the 1st trimester screen is part of every woman's prenatal care. Over 10 yrs ago it used to be for 35 and over but that changed. The screen includes nt scan and blood work but not gender reveal. We are able to find out the sex at a 20 week anatomy scan. In otherwise uncomplicated pregnancies such as mine have been that's about it. I had a baby at 35 and will have this one at 36.

We always get testing at 12 weeks. It's just part of the care no matter your age. We don't do anything in regards to gender until 20 week scan though :)

I asked for it (I'm 32) because I had an mc in October and was planning on getting a d&c to run genetics if this one didn't pan out either. They said the maternity21 test is only for 35 and up but there are like 5 or so other companies that run a similar test with no age requirement. My doctor only does the harmony test. Not sure why. I was hoping to get panorama, but they weren't familiar at all.
I did call both companies personally to get info for my insurance company and they said they'll charge your insurance a boat load, but if insurance rejects the claim outright, they'll only charge you 30-50% of the cost.

For those who aren't aware yet, they really can find out the gender with a blood test on the mom in the first trimester now (I think you have to be at least 10 weeks). They've discovered that some of the baby's DNA is in the mom's blood, so they test your blood sample for the Y chromosome (that's for males). If there is no Y chromosome, then you're having a girl. If there is Y chromosome present, then you're having a boy. This is for the Maternity21 or Harmony (I think there are others ones out there, too) like Sass827 mentioned, but it's more trying to replace an amniocentesis (which is higher risk and invasive), the NT is different from what I understand. Since they only draw the mom's blood for it, it is low risk (the same as any other blood test in pregnancy). The test is more for genetic screening, but can also reveal the gender early for you in the process. It's really very new- I'd never heard about it with my son who is just 2 now.

Here's one article that talks a little about it and the other tests available: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/babys-dna-in-moms-blood-noninvasive-prenatal-testing/

Oh, and they offered it to my sis-in-law who is younger than me (I'll be 31 when baby comes), and she has a low-risk pregnancy, too. That made me hope we could have it, too

My doctor is saying it will replace the 12 week scan for me but a bnb friend had the panorama and is still getting the nt scan as well.

Are you talking about the panorama test? I had it done the end of January and just got my results today. You have to be at least 9 weeks for that test. I'm 25 and my doctor offered it I didn't have to even ask. Although I did have a previous miscarriage, but that's not why she offered it. I'm also still getting the NT ultrasound.

They only offer this test for high risk women over 35 years old at my doctors office. Otherwise I would have jumped on that in a heart beat! Lol

My GYN just emailed back. She said it is only offered to women over 35 like everyone else said. I emailed her back and asked if I requested/paid for it, if Kaiser would let me do it. Because come on. To know the gender at 7 weeks. Sign me up.

The self pay for harmony is roughly $500 and panorama basic is $795. Panorama full panel is $995.

In the UK everyone gets the choice of having testing from a scan at 12 weeks with a blood test to show if there are any risks. You can then get a follow on test if you're high risk. Also get an anomaly scan at 20 weeks z

My doctor was like no. haha I might just go through the pano site and see what happens. It says something about having materials sent to your doctor. If I could do that and they do it, then I would. Otherwise, I might have to start looking into private practices who do.

Too bad you guys aren't in Canada. It's freeeee and offered regardless of age or risk.

Lmfao! I was engaged to a Canadian so spent weeks at a time visiting him in Hamilton. Free healthcare wasn't enough to get me to be Canadian haha

Too bad you guys aren't in Canada. It's freeeee and offered regardless of age or risk.

This is actually incorrect. The regular IPS (Integrated Prenatal Screen) is covered, yes. That includes the NT ultrasound and bloodwork that assesses the risk for certain defects. What the previous posters are referring to is a new test called NIPT (Non-Invasive Prenatal Test). It is more accurate than IPS, screens for more disorders and also determines gender. It is offered by several different companies, one of which is Panorama (Panorama Test). This is most definitely not covered here, and is around $800-$1100 out of pocket.

There is a study going on in certain locations in Canada where you can participate and receive free NIPT. I believe it's called the Pegasus Study. It's not available where I'm located (yet). I'm near Toronto.

I guess I will just have to wait until my next appointment to see if they offer it to me! According to my sister-in-law, everyone she knows around here who's pregnant is being offered it, regardless of age, etc. I guess many insurances in the U.S. will cover much of it if it's done through the doctor's office (but it depends on your coverage,of course). However, then talking to other friends today, they said they had not been offered it :shrug: I'll just have to wait and see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->