Fleas!

Cat_pj

Reaction score
I know there isn't much traffic on this forum but I don't have anywhere else to ask really.....I have a problem with my kitten and fleas!

He had them 2 weeks ago, treated him and they seemed to die. But then within a week they were back. I took him to the vet to get his jabs and I asked why they were back, as I thought the frontline would get rid of them.

The vet said the fleas larvae or whatever they are would still be in the house, I said fair enough but I thought they'd be repelled by the treatment. MIL had said it lasts 6 months and don't believe the company peddling the expensive treatments!

The vet replied that the fleas go onto him and then die. But its become apparent that he's riddled. He's never even been outside, so annoyed!! I've treated him again because luckily the vets gave a free treatment. I've laundered all the cusion covers, his bed and blanket he sits on. I'm hoovering the couches/ rug and sprayed this flea killer spray around. Surely that'll be it, right?!?!?

you need to break the cycle so doing what you have done repeatedly for a couple of weeks plus making sure you use the appropriate treatment on the kitten should break the cycle. You can also use flea bombs to fumigate your house which work well. Cats get fleas unfortunately, the frontline means that the ones that are alive will bite and die but the eggs and larvae need to be dealt with too and this will take time x

Thanks for your reply! Whats a flea bomb? Is it safe to use with my LO in the house? I'm trying everything I'm literally waging war on the little buggers!!

I know how you feel, we have an indoor cat and he managed to get fleas! It sometimes have taken us 3 months to get rid of the fleas completely.

u need to wash all your bedding, towels, LOs bedding..
treat the carpets too.
you can buy a powder to put down..

90% of the problem with fleas is in the house not the pet.. So if you think about how many fleas are on your cat..

Also, Frontline and other treatments that rely on fipronil are starting to work less well, as fleas become resistant.

We have had a recent battle with the little buggers. Vaccuum every day, empty the vaccuum each time and wrap the bag (or just the contents if it's a bagless vaccuum) in a plastic bag and put in outside bin. Wash everything on 60, your bedding, the cats bedding, everything. Get yourself some diatomaceous earth (food grade, not the pink stuff for pools) and sprinkle on carpets and in any dark corners (under the couch etc) and on the cats bed. You can even put it on the cat!

You can keep track of how you're doing in the war by putting flea traps of bowls of water (it might have to be soapy water I can't quite remember) down with a lamp shining over them. Then count how many little buggers you catch each night and when you have a few nights with none you know you've probably won!

also the fleas dont like tea tree..
they hate the smell so i would invest in a few oil burners & use some tea tree oil in them..
i have 1 on every night, although i dont have cats the neighbours cat often visits for a cuddle.. i know they treat her for fleas but id rather be safe. xx

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wrote the original post a few weeks ago and basically have treated him 3 times since then and still struggling. We've sprayed the house twice, hoovered everywhere etc.

I think the situation is improving, going to try Advantage next week as I too have heard that Frontline isn't as effective as it once was.

Also getting tea tree oil!! :flower:

Be careful with treating multiple times. Flea killer is basically a poison, and too much can do serious damage to your pet. I was told by my vet to wait at least 2 and a half weeks between doses.

Yeah I have been waiting 4 weeks between each doses. Cheers x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->