Fleece liner ?s (Think I found some good fleece but is this how it's s'posed to work?

CloudyDay

Reaction score
I've turned my closets inside out, scrounging for old fleece clothing to cut up into fleece diaper liners for DS. I'm a bit perplexed because, when I run a stream of water on any of the articles of clothing, the water just beads off of it and leaves a thin layer of moistness on the surface of the fleece :shrug: I thought fleece was supposed to absorb the moisture, wick it into the prefold underneath it, then feel nice and dry on the surface. :confused: Is there a specific blend of fleece that's better suited for liners? I'm thinking the fleece I've got is probably good for making covers but not suited for liners. HELP! :nope:

I'm not sure, I know 100% polyester fleece is waterproof though. The liners I use are fleece, but are 100% cotton, and they absorb really well and keep her dry. I know others use ones they have made themselves though, so maybe they have the answer! :)

I made mine but I just went to the local material shop and asked for fleece so I'm not quite sure what it is, sorry. I wonder if fleece that's used for clothes treated in some way maybe?

I made mine from polyester microfleece that I bought at a fabric shop (fabricland- not sure if you have that chain in BC). It wicks the moisture away as long as it is in contact with Emma's bum (kinda like the slight pressure draws the moisture down to the absorbant stuff under). Could be that the fleece you've got is the good stuff with a tight weave too- if you can see through it a bit, it works well.

I cut up a fleece blanket I think it was cotton and it was quite a thin fleece x

Hmm... so it sounds like I should try to find fleece that is cotton, OR if polyester, the microfleece? :dohh: So much for trying to reuse! Any other tips from other mummies who've made their own liners?

If you have already chopped up the blanket into liners, you could experiment and try shaving the fleece down a bit to see if it lets the liquid through better :shrug:

So I found some fleece scraps that seem to act a little differently than the stuff I was trying to reuse. This new stuff will repel the water initially then "suck" the water into the fabric after a minute or so. It seems like it'll do the trick but the surface of it still feels damp to the touch, even after all the water's been sucked in. Is this how anyone else's fleece liners works? :shrug: I'm reminded of Kaite's experience:

It wicks the moisture away as long as it is in contact with Emma's bum (kinda like the slight pressure draws the moisture down to the absorbant stuff under).

Perhaps if my DS's tush is right up to the fleece, it'll work better?? Perhaps the pressure will create a stronger "pull" from the fleece into the absorbant prefold layer underneath?? :shrug:

its ok, the fleece you have will work, its likely because there was no absorbant material to wick to, try it with a flannel or something underneath and im sure you'll find it wicks much better :D

x

Thank you princessellie! I know I'm on the right track now... I've read about your wonderful craftsmanship w/ CDs and such! ;) Thanks a bunch!!

I used to wonder about this too. It seems that fleece is just magic :)

If you want to see how fleece works as a liner, next time your LO is having nappy off time put a towel on a changing mat, then cover it with fleece (a blanket?) and lie your baby on top. When LO wees, you'll see that wherever their bum is touching the wet on top of the fleece, the fleece lets the water through to the towel underneath. Where there is no weight on the wet/fleece, it takes a lot longer but will go through eventually. Once the wee is in the absorbant layer, it won't come back through (unless LO does a bucket load of wee!) because the wee is perfectly happy in the towel :)

I used to wonder about this too. It seems that fleece is just magic :)

If you want to see how fleece works as a liner, next time your LO is having nappy off time put a towel on a changing mat, then cover it with fleece (a blanket?) and lie your baby on top. When LO wees, you'll see that wherever their bum is touching the wet on top of the fleece, the fleece lets the water through to the towel underneath. Where there is no weight on the wet/fleece, it takes a lot longer but will go through eventually. Once the wee is in the absorbant layer, it won't come back through (unless LO does a bucket load of wee!) because the wee is perfectly happy in the towel :)

Lol I love this! I like Freya's wee to be happy :lol:

Ha ha... I will aim to keep my DS's wee happy indeed! :rofl: I did my own little experiment just now w/ my hand, a piece of fleece and the prefold underneath. It does work like you said! My hand was still a bit damp but def. not as damp as if it was right in contact w/ the prefold. Thanks Rachel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->