Flu Vaccinations

leeanne

Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2
Reaction score
So I've never got my kids the flu vaccination but because they were sick so many times last year, I wonder if I should.

Does anyone get their kids done yearly? If so, downfalls and upsides to it would be great.

My boys had it 2x when they were younger...just Casen once and Landon twice. They got sick the years they had it, and they haven't been sick any other years with it. Even the year I was preg with Hayden...so 2007...me and their dad both had the flu pretty bad and yet they didn't even get it lol. But we no longer vaccinate at all so they don't get them anymore but woudln't even if we still did, that was one we stopped first

Leanne I just heard on ctv a little while ago that they're saying if you get flu shots you're more likley to pick up different strains of flus (ex H1N1)

I was talking to Dan about it this morning and he's very leery of it. I suppose I will just let it be.

Rae, if that is the case then I definitely don't want to have my kids get that shot.

My family gets the vaccines each year, and we haven't had the flu in ages. I wonder if we are just not as susceptible as others are?

My teenage daughter still doesn't want a shot -- so she gets the aerosol version (Cherry Mist -- sniffed up the nose). To me that would be worse that a quick shot!

Leanne I just heard on ctv a little while ago that they're saying if you get flu shots you're more likley to pick up different strains of flus (ex H1N1)

Regular flu shots DO NOT protect you against H1N1. The regular flu virus mutates at it travels around. That is why some people still can get ill even if ou get a vaccine. H1N1 had not mutated and I believe that the CDC does not believe it will mutate.
It is recommended that you get BOTH flu shot and H1N1.

In Ontario they are delaying seasonal flu shots (except to people in nursing homes and I think a couple other groups) until December, until then just H1N1 is going to be available. I'm so torn on what to do.. people make me worry bc the H1N1 vaccine has just come out relatively quickly but last winter was the first winter I didn't get sick at all (my first time having a flu shot ever)..

I kinda differ on this one.

I never got flu shots until I started working in the dental field. I have had the flu 3 times in my life (I am 27). Once when I was 5, 18, and 23 (this time pregger with my son). I very seldomly get sick even though my entire family gets colds all the time.

I did not get my son the Flu shot his first year becasue he was too young. Second year I got it for him and he didnt get the flu. Last year I decided against it becasue he has this nasty cold that I couldnt get him over in time for the flu shots. He didnt get the flu but we limited our shopping/travel very strictly. I did however get vaccinated as we were TTC.

This year my entire family will be vaccinated with seasonal Flu and H1N1. I feel like if you can try to prevent then why not. What does it hurt. with seasonal flu they try to predict as to what starnds are going to be coming through the area and vaccinate against them. You have to remember that with each person it travels to, it mutates. Or if you travel to a different part of the country you can pick up a different strand.

Positives: potentially prevent flu. For me it is necessary as we are having a baby in NOV

Negatives: The injection site can get a little swollen or hard for a few days. Plus my arm always hurts for a day after the injection. With children I would give them Tylenol about 1 hour prior to the injection to try help with the pain that can be associated with it. Cost. Depends on where you live and where you work. My husbands work pays for our families shots and the county pays 75% of the publics shots. They are like $15 per person over the age of 18 and free if you are under 18. I think that Walgreens charges $60 a shot. Depends on where you go though.

It is best to wait as long as you can into the fall to get the shot but for me it is importnat to get us vaccinated asap. So we are getting it done next week for seasonal flu.

Hope this helps

Well do keep in mind in the "what does it hurt" part that the H1N1 has not had any long term studies done on it. It has come about very quickly and has IMO not had enough safety testing done at it at all for it to be released for this season. And also the flu shot contains mercury so that's a risk too. Not everyone realizes they do contain mercury still so just wanted to point that out :) Of course if that's what you feel is best for your family then you are right, just wanted to say that part as well

I will never give my kids this as its a live vacine and everytime i have it i end up in hospital within 5 wks

My 3 middle kids have got it for the past 2 years :) They are all asthmatic and Joe has chronic lung disease and the improvements have been massive. They are rarely ill at all now compared to one of them coughing at any one time, especially my younger daughter.

It isn't a 'live' vaccine and doesn't give you the flu, I've asked this many times at the dr's and read the leaflets but I do agree with Serina in that within a week or so my 3 kids arent well and no-one else in the house gets it so we'll see again this year but I most definitely will get it :)

I agree with Mamafy, i have checked with Dr too, and it ISN'T a live vaccine.

My LO has never had it before, but has been diagnosed with Asthma within the last year, so will be getting it this year. He has been ill quite a bit in past years with coughs, colds, and croup (though not since started his Asthma inhalers), which is awful for him, so if the vaccine helps prevent this i have no problem vaccinating him. I also work doing admin in the health profession so will be getting the Swine Flu vaccine myself this year, as they say prevention is better than cure.

Over heer they will only give you the flu jab if you are in one of the "at risk" groups.

Im astmatic and when i get the flu i then get a chest infection and am ill for weeks. Since having the flu jab for the last 6 years i havent been ill with nothing more severe than a bad cold.

The normal flu jab dose not prevent against swine flu but dose provide some resistance.

We never had flu shots. My mum had it last year and was so ill of them. She even had a rash all over her body, horrid.
Over here the only ones getting the flu shots are older people or people who are already ill with some other disease, they are like the risk groups, but normal healthy people don't get them.

Im not getting H1N1, I probably wont get the regular flu vaccine either. I think its good for elderly people to get because they are so high risk. But the regular flu vaccines doesnt protect you against all strains of the flu anyways, only a limited amount of them.

And also the flu shot contains mercury so that's a risk too. Not everyone realizes they do contain mercury still so just wanted to point that out :) Of course if that's what you feel is best for your family then you are right, just wanted to say that part as well

You can get thimerosal free flu vaccines. You have to ask your doctor before hand though because they only come in single dose vials(regular vaccines come in 10 dose vials) and they have a short shelf life.

There are two types of vaccines:

•The "flu shot" — an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in people older than 6 months, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions.
•The nasal-spray flu vaccine — a vaccine made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu (sometimes called LAIV for "live attenuated influenza vaccine" or FluMist®). LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.

thats maybe why i thought it was live and also how ill i am after it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->