Flying in early pregnancy

Spaggy37

Reaction score
I just had my BFP yesterday, i have 3 children already, DD 16, DS, 11 & DS 1yr old, i have had 2 miscarriages between each pregnancy.
I am due to fly to the USA on the 22/10/13 around 7 weeks, has anyone done this as i am worried :(

Il be a a few weeks past you, but Im due to fly to Lanzarote in October (not as far as America I know). I also went on a plane to Turkey when I was 12 week pregnant with DD and she was fine.

Just make sure you stay hydrated, drink plenty of water and get up regularly to stretch your legs, we are more prone to DVT. They sell flight socks etc. As long as you keep mobile during the flight you should be fine, many women fly when they are pregnant.

Congrats on your BFP :) x

I've flown in early pregnancy and never heard anything to say that it's dangerous.

I'd just check your travel insurance covers you for pregnancy. Some insurers view it as a medical condition while others don't.

I've flown on all stages of pregnancy (with my first I conceived in the UK but gave birth in England, and had my medical checks in both countries ... so a lot of flying). There's no issue what so ever, just take the same precautions you always would. Drink a lot of water and walk as often as you can. The only reason why some people avoid flying in first trimester is because of them not wanting to be stuck in a foreign country if things do go wrong in the first 12 weeks.

I fly for my job average 4/9 short hauls a week and some long hauls a few times a year and there is conflicting info about the subject ..
I think you will be fine if you fly once or a few times and some people fly a lot till they are late in PG ..4 Doctors and my accupunturist told me not to fly or fly as less as posible in the firts trimester ..something to do with the altitute and internal organs , while most people are ok flying some sturdiest are placed on ground as soon as they are pregnant ..based on studies ,flight attendants are 50 percent more at risk of miscarriage.
I personally decided to stop my mad flying in my first 3 months of PG , i miscarried last year and i took around 25 flights the firts months of PG , ill never know if that caused it but i will not fly as much this time so canceled 70 percent of my flying ..but I am older and might be my last chance of being a mom so i decided to take all precautions ..
I really think is a personal choice and done in moderation is ok.
A

I flew a few times when I was pregnant with my daughter. At the time we lived in the Canary Islands and came back to the UK for visits at 4 weeks(before I even knew I was pregnant), 14 weeks, 25 weeks and then came home for good at 35 weeks. She was absolutely fine. This time I went on holiday when I was 6 weeks pregnant and didn't have any problems. As previous posters have said, just make sure you stay hydrated and keep getting up to move around.

I had no problem. My baby was beginning live in the first stages when I first flew after ovulation. 10 weeks flew with no problem. If you have middle or window seat the airline will work its best to give you an aisle seat and close to the bathroom. Also I have two more flights in when I 14 weeks to fly from NYC to Baltimore. Then Baltimore to Germany. Doctor told me as long as your hydrated and walk around to stretch legs your fine

I flew to and from Paris (I live in the US) and my doctor was fine with it. I was 4 weeks when I left and almost 6 weeks when I returned.

I'm taking a 6 hour flight when I'll be around 10/11 weeks pregnant to visit family. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said it's safe. :)

I also second picking up compression socks though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->