Flying in early pregnancy?

Smiler79

Mummy: Imogen & 3 angels
Reaction score
Hi girls. Just a quick question. Hubby and I are about to book our summer holiday (have not been away for a couple of years and thought the time away together relaxing mught do us bith some good).

Obviously we are trying for a little bean and as we are booking our holiday for end of August I am worried about flyin g in 1st trimester if I was lucky eonough to get bfp before our holiday.

Does any one know whether it is safe or not?

Hi hun.
Yes it is classed as safe. My cousin flew to tunisia at 10wks pregnant and my friend flew to cyprus at 12wks and both bubs were fine ;-)
I suppose the only downside, if u are abroad during the 1st tri, when sadly we knw what can happen, u would want to be sure u could deal with it happening in a different country in maybe a hospital that dosent speak much english. Flying itself is fine as long as u have no health issues and ur BP is ok. :)

Where r u going? anywhere nice? me and DH still have not had our honeymoon and we married in dec, so really hoping we can get away for a cheap wk somewhere in oct :)

xxx

To be perfectly frank you have nothing to worry about. I can understand the trepidation but if you think about it rationally there is nothing you need to really do differently in early pregnancy than you would normally do (of course barring the silly stuff such as eating wrong stuff or drinking and smoking etc ). Just do as you normally do.

I too have a holiday booked. in fact im flying twice in 2 months!!:)

This is the official info:

As long as you are deemed healthy by your doctor, air travel in the first trimester poses little risk to you or your unborn baby. The only exception is traveling on non-commercial flights where air pressure is not adjusted. This is because the amount of oxygen in the air decreases as altitude increases, potentially leaving you in short supply. However, if you travel by commercial airline you have no need to be concerned as air pressure in their cabins is adjusted so that there is a sufficient supply of oxygen on board.

It is advisable to ask for an aisle seat so that you have clear access to the bathroom and keeping a sick bag to hand is a good idea in case of bouts of nausea. Seats situated level with the wings tend to provide the smoothest ride and are favourable if your stomach is already doing somersaults.

If you are suffering badly with sickness and nausea it can be a good idea to take your own snacks for the journey in case you are unable to stomach the food served on the plane. Dried fruit, biscuits or crackers can be conveniently kept in your hand luggage and will help to keep your energy levels up. As amniotic fluid develops in the first trimester it is especially important to keep hydrated. The atmosphere on the plain can be quite dry so make sure you drink plenty of water and avoid caffeinated drinks - this will help to reduce fluid retention too (although may result in even more frequent trips to the toilet - hence why an aisle seat can come in handy!).

The risk of deep vein thrombosis is slightly increased during pregnancy so you should aim to be as active as possible during your flight. Get up and walk around every hour and stretch your legs and feet every half hour to help boost circulation. Compression stockings are also a good idea.

Hope that helps and enjoy your holibops! :)

Thanks girls that has really reassured me (providing wehave even had a bfp by august!)

We have not decoded yet but are thinking about a nile cruise.

Sending baby dust your way!!!!

personal ecperiance - i flew to spain in first trimester and was fine :) MW just tole me to get up and walk down the aisle every half hour or so....x

I am going away in 2.5 weeks and i would have been 12 weeks if i hadnt MC. i had read a lot on the internet and there was nothing saying dont fly - just said keep hydrated and get up and walk about more often. Good luck with your BFP and have a lovely holiday xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->