Folic Acid

CatStorey

Mum to Chloe and Tom :)
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

Just wondering if you stopped taking Folic Acid after 12 weeks of if you have carried on taking it?

I hate taking tablets as they make me feel really sick and was wondering if it would do baby harm to stop taking the folic acid?
I don't want to risk any harm to the baby but I read that its only needed for the first 12 weeks. Am not too sure??

Thanks x

I stopped taking mine but than at my last appointment my doc told me to get back on them. I guess than if im not eating the best the baby still gets everything it needs i was taking the materna prenatal made me feel gross

I still take mine but only because i got a MASSIVE tub of them and its just part of my bedtime routine now. I asked mw though and she said as long as you eat a balanced diet including folic acid you can stop at 12 weeks. (Basically eat your greens esp peas and broccoli, brown rice and chic peas are also good, its even in breakfast cereals). Everyone i have known has stopped at 12 weeks too x x x

I'm still taking mine because I'm not sure I'm getting enough general vitamins from my diet - and my supplement is a comprehensive pregnancy supplement.
My midwife said there is no need to take folic acid after 1st tri though.
But I would speak to your own MW first.

Thanks guys :) I think I might as well finish off the pack then I can ask my midwife when I see her. I just have to be brave!!

Folic acid was built into my prenatal vitamins.. can you get something like that? Doctors recommend taking it for at least the first 12 weeks but it's definitely not bad for you or the baby if you keep taking it, and TBH I probably would :)

im taking pregnecare and will be taking it until oliver is born it gives me all vitamins and everything else i need.

I am still taking pregnecare as well, as it has all the vitamins in it, and it says u can take it for the whole of your pregnancy and breastfeeding

I was told by my doctor the other day to take them up to 12 weeks, But i dont think it will do harm if you stop or carry on! Guess it depends on your diet like the others said! x

am taking a zinc as well as folic acid every morning. have been since first month of pregnancy.
i don t see why i would just stop when it s supposed to be a good thing for the baby.

to to add i didnt take folic acid through my pregancy as i was too far gone to bother to start taking it, they say that the longer you take it for the better but it really wouldnt make much of a diffrence if u stoped now if any abnormalities are to of happned they would be there by now but as im sure lo is formed perfectly that wont change if you stop taking them it just reduces the chance of any structual abnormalities!!! hope this helps hun xx

I am still taking my pregnacare vitamins + folic acid. My haemoglobin level is slightly low and folic acid together with iron-rich foods help to keep the level healthy. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->