Folic acid

T

tmr1234

Apparently if you have a BMI of over 30 its recommended you take 5milligrams of Folic acid a day. The standard tablets are 400 micrograms so the recommended dose is about 12 tablets a day! I didn't get told this with my outher 2 just that you would need extra help but they have only just changed it i think.

www.oxfordradcliffe.nhs.uk/forpatie...

Did any one else get told about this?

Oh wow, that seems like a lot! Not much help but didn't want to r&r

Apparently if your bmi is over 30 you can get a scriped off the doc's for the 5mg tabs. I just wanted to see if any 1 else has been told this. My bmi isnt so i am not 100% but that is what my GP told me the outher day when i went in.

Yeah my mw said at my booking appt and gave me a prescription for it. Might have to take it past 12 wks too

Nobody said anything to me about it but I guess if I needed it (am bmi of 30) I would have been given yet another prescription to add to my collection of drugs!
I wouldn't recommend taking 12 of the normal tablets a day though! the 5mg is only available on prescription for a reason so see your doctor if you think you might need it.

My BMI is over 30 and was never told to take more than the 400mg.

I was never told this. My doctor told me to take a prenatal vitamin when I was TTC but never said anything about needing extra.....since I'm 11 weeks 5 days now....it would be too late anyhow!!! Hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->