Follow on milk - 6 mnth +

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what the difference is between first or second stage milk and the follow on milk? Do I need to change over? I've kept Dylan on his hungry baby milk but he is having 3 set meals a day now and I'm really not clued up on what to do next.
He still has 3 x 8oz bottles a day, do I need to try and reduce this or is this a good amount of formula to have? Should I change it to the next stage or stick to what he knows?
Also, what's this bedtime milk all about?
Thank you!!!

Hi hun,

I'm glad you asked this question I was wondering the same thing, I'm not sure whether they need to change or not as the stage 1 milk says up to 12 mths, I'm not sure whether the follow on milk is more of a drink than a meal iynwim?. Its so confusing! lol! xx

Follow on milk usually has more Iron than stage 1 milk. This is because iron stores deplete between 4-6 months and because the weaning solids usually don't provide enough iron they put extra in the follow on formulas. The general opinion I've read is to stop using hungry baby formulas when baby is weaned. I think it's because they should naturally drop their milk intake and won't need hb formula.

3 x 8oz bottles a day when also having 3 solid meals a day is right according to a couple of books I read.

Bedtime milk is supposed to stop them waking at night as it's harder for them to digest. Most people think it's a waste of money ;)

bedtime milk just has added rice, a HV i saw says big no no, just a marketing ploy! but if it helps then hey!

follow on as above is added iron basically, but if they're eating fruit veg and meat etc when able to, they should get it from there

Yeah I'm going to keep Ruby on hungry milk until she's eating decent amounts (which I think will take longer than usual as we're doing BLW) then I'll put her on either follow on or first milk, depending on the range of foods she is eating.

Dylan eats everything, I spoke to my HV and she said that follow on milk isn't needed, it's really for if your baby is a bit fussy. I'll stick with what he knows I think, we're nearly there on the routine front and don't want to mess it all up. Thanks ladies!

I have leaflets my HV gave me about weaning and it says follow on isn't needed. It's more expensive than normal milk and your LO will be fine to stay on stage1.

blah - that's interesting as SMA follow on in my asda is same price, or on offer for like £1-2 less as they can promote it as its not a first milk!

Yep...sma follow on is also on offer in Tesco .....2 for £12. I decided a while back was going to switch from Hungry baby to follow on so i bought 2 tins last week in prep......i might buy some more too.

If there's extra iron and stuff it cant be worse than the gold ...but thats my opinion.

xx

Its so confusing isnt it, as I am wondering this at the moment, some say do it some say not to, esp if baby is getting all nutrients iron etc from his food, so really have no idea whether to switch or not, and aren't you supposd to switch at around 6 months. I've changed milk before so I wonder if it will suit him, like cause constipation, wind etc? hungry baby formula gave my LO bad constipation so we went bk to stage 1.

I use follow on milk,as I did with Jack... babys iron supply that was built up when we were carrying them runs out about 6mo so its just got extra iron in, but like others have said if they are eating a varied and plenty of iron it is ok to stay on stage 1 milk x

Its so confusing isnt it, as I am wondering this at the moment, some say do it some say not to, esp if baby is getting all nutrients iron etc from his food, so really have no idea whether to switch or not, and aren't you supposd to switch at around 6 months. I've changed milk before so I wonder if it will suit him, like cause constipation, wind etc? hungry baby formula gave my LO bad constipation so we went bk to stage 1.

Thats the thing, I don't want to change his milk and upset him when we are in pretty much a good routine. I'd say he gets a good varied diet, so will stick with Hungry baby I think. Thanks all :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->