following on the gardening thread..

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
i dont have a garden but two large and sunny balconies and was wondering who knows how to plant herbs? I would like to plant some in some window boxes on the balcony, im most interested in rosemary, and basil.
anyone a pro at this?

easy peasy. You'll love it.

Rosemary will last and the best way to plant it is to buy a small upright bush in a garden centre and plant it on it's own in a pot with general purpose compost. That way it can spread - if it gets too big just replant in a larger pot.

Basil will only last a while and is best eaten and then a new plant planted so either buy a number of little plants or from seed.

The basil in particular will be very thirsty so make sure you water well everyday and make sure they don't get waterlogged. The rosemary, once established will be better.

Both can be grown from seed and recommend using seed trays and some seed compost if you can get it. Just follow the instructions on the packet and keep inside so you can regulate heat/sun and water until they are large enough to plant out (realise you are in middle east so too much sun might be more of a problem with you).

The first time I grew veggies I was gobsmacked when they germinated and they were such fun. Most are relatively easy to grow and since seeds are quite cheap then a few casualties is not the end of the world - if you like tomatoes you should definately grow them in your climate...

Good luck

All i no is u need to water them loads!!! I tryed and they died :sad1: So sorry im not an expert!!

easy peasy. You'll love it.

Rosemary will last and the best way to plant it is to buy a small upright bush in a garden centre and plant it on it's own in a pot with general purpose compost. That way it can spread - if it gets too big just replant in a larger pot.

Basil will only last a while and is best eaten and then a new plant planted so either buy a number of little plants or from seed.

The basil in particular will be very thirsty so make sure you water well everyday and make sure they don't get waterlogged. The rosemary, once established will be better.

Both can be grown from seed and recommend using seed trays and some seed compost if you can get it. Just follow the instructions on the packet and keep inside so you can regulate heat/sun and water until they are large enough to plant out (realise you are in middle east so too much sun might be more of a problem with you).

The first time I grew veggies I was gobsmacked when they germinated and they were such fun. Most are relatively easy to grow and since seeds are quite cheap then a few casualties is not the end of the world - if you like tomatoes you should definately grow them in your climate...

Good luck

thanks i am very excited now, what about other veg ? do u know what else i can grow in pots, besides tomatoes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->