Food allergies?

DaisyAnne

Reaction score
So, my DS has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy (like what kids have to peanuts, he just has it to all forms of dairy). As you can imagine, it's pretty intense trying to keep dairy away from him out and about... since he can't touch it, etc.

Anyways, I read in my doctor's pregnancy manual that if your family has a history of food allergies to avoid eating that food during pregnancy. I'm just wondering if any of you have to think about this kind of thing and what your doctor's may have said about it to you?

I always think about if our future kids could have food allergies, too. I think it's strange to avoid the specific foods in your family's allergy history since they say you can't pass on an allergy to a *specific* food... but you can pass on the *tendency* to be allergic and the allergy could show up to something else... so should I avoid some of the common allergens like nuts- like at least not over-consume them while pregnant? I'm going to ask my doctor at my next appointment, but wanted to see if anyone else has been thinking about this stuff?

Hmm I've never heard of that before and like your son my lil boy is severely allergic to dairy and can react from even just touching or someone who has eaten dairy touching him.

It would be interesting to hear what your Dr says!

I also would be interested in this. My hubby and I both have shellfish allergies, although mine is deadly and his isn't. He has an egg allergy. I tend to get kind of lactose intolerant while pregnant.....so I worry a ton about food allergies.

Basically, my doctor didn't have a whole lot to say about it. They did recommend talking to the allergist and asking her, so I might do that when I see her in a couple months.
She just said that right now the latest thinking is not to completely omit things from their diets in order to prevent allergies, but the advice changes frequently regarding allergies.

There wasn't really an answer to the quantity other than not to over-consume any food as it's not healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->