Food Intolerance - Cows milk - what can I start eating?

shazney22

Reaction score
Tips on what else to eat or try assuming I cant have chocolate anymore :(
and whats the best bread to buy? What about biscuits lol?

I can give you a suggestion of good substitutes for Cows milk. My hubby can't drink cows milk and can't eat much cheese or any yogurts. He drinks almond milk or coconut milk. He has also been able to drink goats milk but it is expensive so we just buy the other two.

Depending on how bad your intolerance is, you still may be able to eat chocolate and if I am correct, dark chocolate wouldn't give you any reaction as it isn't made with milk (pretty sure of this). Foods that have just a little bit of milk in them shouldn't cause problems unless your intolerance is really bad. What you can do is just take a bite or a small piece of whatever food then wait and see if it gives you any reaction. It's hard to tell what exactly you would have a reaction to until you try different things and figure it out.

Having this sort of intolerance is a pain but you can easily manage it. In fact, I even like drinking almond milk and cows milk...not so much the coconut milk. So, it's not as if they taste terrible...just different than regular milk.

Good luck and hopefully you can figure out what is good for you and what isn't. :hugs:

I am dairy intolerant too, could i ask how you found out you were? I have UHT Alpro Soya milk for tea & cereal (UHT seems to taste less strong as opposed to the fresh soya milk in the fridges so i would start off with that. I also have tried oatly milk (this is nice if you like oats/porridge but it overpowers the flavour of the cereal) I am currently trying almond milk and it is lovely too, the nutty flavour is quite subtle. You can get kara coconut milk too i have seen it on the shelves at Tesco today but i don't like coconut so won't be giving that a try.

I have given up cheese altogether and haven't found a substitute yet which i'm not fussed about, Alpro Soya yoghurts are nice, vanilla one tastes like custard and i love the chocolate one too. For chocolate i buy plain chocolate mint thins from Aldi, they're basically After Eights without the price tag, After Eights contain butterfat too but Aldi brand don't. Most supermarkets should have a "Free from" aisle with dairy/gluten free products etc and Tesco dairy free muffins are nice. Asda do a dairy free choc orange which is okay x

Thanks for the tips, Im assuming my intolerance is getting worse as I am always coming out in rashes, I have made a few changes to my diet but its a bit of a struggle finding out what NOT to eat as Im sure you can imagine. I found out by a finger prick test, and results were positive, I got 72ml result, your intolerant if you have 25 ml or over lol. I like the alpro soya milk, thanks for the tips on the chocolate :) much appreciated, is there any biscuits, bread and processed meat you can advise on? I am just struggling with bread and meat, also I do not know where to start with dinner ideas xx

I never knew there was a test! How do I find one? I even asked my consultant if there was a test and he was quite sarcastic telling me to drink a glass of milk and see lol.. Bread, we have kingsmill 50/50 and that doesn't contain dairy, I hardly eat bread so haven't really checked any other types. What do you mean by processed meat? We get chicken slices in for LO and they don't contain any milk protein/dairy I think it's just checking labels constantly and learning about hidden dairy ingredients listed such as whey etc. It is a nightmare though! What meals do you like? Most with dairy ingredients can be substituted with soya products, I am quite a fussy eater so I tend to eat things like fish and rice, potatoes and meat, if i'm feeling lazy fish fingers and crispy chicken from birds eye don't have milk products included in their batter/breadcrumbs x

Hi moondrops,

yes you can get a finger prick blood test, I got mines at superdrug, you cannot get the intolerance on the NHS but can get it privately done. I like crispy chicken so thats good news lol. I eat the same as you mostly, bread, meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, potatoes, pasta - need to watch the sauces now lol

I read on a vegan website today that hovis bread is dairy free :)

I'm not intolerant but I'm giving up dairy so I've been reading into it, seems quite daunting to be honest! :haha:

:growlmad:
I read on a vegan website today that hovis bread is dairy free :)

I'm not intolerant but I'm giving up dairy so I've been reading into it, seems quite daunting to be honest! :haha:

Thats good about hovis bread, thanks for the tip :). Its not as daunting as it seems apart from I thinking eating in restuarants is a bit difficult, but I cannot believe how many things you can pick up and it has milk in it! I am not feeling much better with my ears, but I am not clearing my throat as much at all anymore and I dont have any migraines and my skins clearing up, only trouble is I think I am allergic to something as I itch at night, not sure what Im allergic to though.

ohhh im hoping it clears my skin up! what do you have in your cereal? how long have you been dairy free for? :)

ohhh im hoping it clears my skin up! what do you have in your cereal? how long have you been dairy free for? :)

Alpro soya, not long since the day of my birthday lol about 3 weeks now, apart from the odd occasional thing I eat by accident that has milk in it and I dont know especially when I am eating in other peoples houses - thats when u have to watch xx

In place of cows milk you can try almond milk. They have regular, vanilla, and chocolate. It has less fat than cows milk and it has 50% more calcium than cows milk. I drink it a lot. :thumbup:

I couldnt find almond milk on my way to work this morning so I just got alpro light :D

I'm going to make my own almond milk, looks easy :)

I drink lactose free milk...So yummy. Makes my cocoa taste even better, lol :happydance:
I'm not intolerant, but I LOVE milk & if I drink to much I get a poorly tummy, & end up (t.m.i) ...Spending time getting far too acquainted to my toilet :blush:
It's £1 a bottle at Asda at the moment too, & some of them have 50p off coupons for lactose free butter/marg.

Many people are actually lactose intolerant (have an intolerance to dairy). Basically it just means you don't have enough lactase or you don't have any at all. The lactase is what digests the dairy and breaks it down. It's pretty common and there are some simple things to do to help. first, find the level of tolerance of your body...how much dairy can you eat without having reactions/problems. Second, talk to a doctor and you can get lactase pills. When you take the right amount of lactase, you can eat whatever and how much dairy you want. Just find a good doctor and you'll be all set. And yes, doctor's can run tests to know if you are lactose intolerant or not :thumbup:

For me, almond milk is great. Cheese is fine with my stomach if I eat it with other things, like on a sandwich. But sometimes if I have too much pizza it is too much for me. Yogurt does fine. But that is just me and my tolerance level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->