For the BF mums, why did you choose to BF, esp if you found it tough at first?

Did anyone elses partner feel left out? I bf our son for three months and loved every minute of it but my partner would feel really left out and felt like he was'nt bonding with him so we moved onto formula. I'm glad i did though and would for our nxt one.:thumbup:

Not in the least. He helped bathe, would hold and cuddle him while he slept so i could catch a nap during the day or evenings between feeds. He said the hardest part was seeing me exhausted and in tears, but a lot of that was hormones and just general recovery (episiotomy) and who knows if the monkey would have ever been a better sleeper in those days regardless of what we did or didn't do.

All my family have always bf so I think growing up in that environment made me want to do it too, it was never really a decision to bf I just never considered formula. I had problems with Evie, she latched on great after the birth and was doing fine with it but one of the ladies in the hospital convinced me to give her a bottle as apparently she had low blood sugar and my milk wouldn't be enough, and after that she didn't latch on again. She just screamed every time I tried, so I made the switch to formula. I think it was a major factor in my pnd as I felt like a failure.

It made me more determined to bf Alfie though, I said to OH I'm not going to be giving him no bottles no matter how much people want me to and I did loads of research on the internet (which unfortunately we didn't have access to when I had Evie). It was hard in the beginning, it was really sore and I almost gave up numerous times but I just kept telling myself 'one more day' and eventually it became a lot easier. I haven't got pnd after having Alfie so I really do believe that it was not being able to bf that caused it after having Evie.

I chose to bf because bf babies have more protection against some illnesses, and I knew that if I FF and she got ill I couldn't live with the guilt!

Yes I am my own worst enemy. :haha:

It was hard for the first few weeks but I figured having a newborn was hard however you chose to feed it.

Eta- my hubby hasn't felt left out.

It was always something I wanted to do and even when we struggled I fought through it. Suport was vital and im glad I stuck with it. I feel we hit many obsticles but im now happily feeding a newborn and a toddler (toddler has his in bottles though).

I still manage to live a fairly free life as i'll BF anywhere, I still spend lots of time cuddling my eldest who is only 15 months and fully intend on returning to my job. Yes it means i'll be pumping lots while working but thats my choice. I think I can manage to juggle it all and hopefully with family support both my children will thrive and feel loved and not miss out on any time with mummy.

I wanted to BF River (couldnt in the end due to tongue tie) and i plan to BF this baby. Dont really have any reasons tbh just something i want to do.

I breastfed my first for 2 weeks on and off, then gave up because id always thought that you had a baby and they automatically attached somehow, had no idea you had to learn how to do it! Then when she was about 3 months old i was gutted that i didn't give it a proper go. Then a year later i had my ds and wanted to breastfeed him, and was prepared to learn how to do it too, knowing itwasn't necessarily going to be easy seemed to make it easier for me somehow! I loved feeding him and age for 18 weeks until my milk dried up overnight.

With my lo i wanted to bf her cos i did ds, although I've had just about every problem going and haven't found it easy at all, although it settled down a couple me weeks ago. I am now enjoying feeding her, and am hoping i can make it past 6 months.

I breastfeed because i truly believe that it is best. My eldest 2 are 9 and 10 now and although both are very well children, hardly ever ill at all, my ds who was breastfed is amazingly well, and has the most amazing immune system, he hardly ever gets ill and when he does he's always better in hours which i can only put down to being bf.
Having said that, if i woke up im the morning and wanted to give up then i would and i wouldn't feel at all guilty

I decided to BF because I felt it is the best thing I can do for my baby. I had no latch problems and my LO feeds like a champ but my milk was slow to come in so we had to give him top ups with formula. I could have easily given up then but I was determined to BF and when my milk came in he didn't want formula at all. BF is what our bodies are intended to do and I have faith in myself that I can provide what he needs.

Did anyone elses partner feel left out? I bf our son for three months and loved every minute of it but my partner would feel really left out and felt like he was'nt bonding with him so we moved onto formula. I'm glad i did though and would for our nxt one.:thumbup:

No. He had special time with her at bath time, and at around 2.5 months I had to be out of the home on Saturdays, three weeks in a row, and he gave her expressed milk for those times, and any other times I have been away from her. He has encouraged me every step of the way and knew I was giving Isabella the best thing for her and that there were plenty of other ways he could spend special time with her.

I actually didnt choose to breastfeed my son choose when he was born. I had my formula packed in my hospital bag as that was the only way I was going to feed my child. I didnt know what breastmilk done thought it was the same as the tin as all my friends and family all have older kids and told me that and I was clueless about breastfeeding. I was wreaked after an emergency c section and just holding him looking at him and he was head butting my boob when midwife lifted my nighty and on he went. Couldnt feel anything anyway so went with it. Next day it was sore, I cried and cried with latching pain and no one was helping me telling me why it hurt. I needed google! so came home early to google stuff on breastfeeding. And came here to read about it. I never ventured in to breastfeeding section before that. I couldnt get up and walk well at all after the c section so the best thing was to sit there and feed and William fed 29 times a day! I was so sore and tired. I just kept going. I know I near went for formula a few times but I done some reading up on breastfeeding and all about it and educated myself. I got praise of the hv that was it. She had no idea why my nipples where sore. I phoned breastfeedig helplines for help and posted threads in here and thankfully got the sore nipples sorted. So I choose to continue breastfeeding after my son choose to breastfeed because I seen the difference and it was so handy. I didnt want him to be ill as i wasnt a well child and couldnt keep my milk down and spent a long time sick and have coalics and a dozen other things and I read breastfeeding can prevent this so whatever it was to take I would try it cant do any harm to try I thought. Seems to work as he hasnt ever been ill and has no allergies like we have, my other half also has chrones disease and we wanted to lessen all these. I didnt want to be in and out of doc and hospital as the worry would get to me. My son has met my doc once and only because she demanded as she wanted to see him.
I want him to have the best, not just in food but in everything and breastmilk happens to be the best food in that category so they get it. I did read up on formula and decided that was not for us for many reasons so happy the way we are with breastfeeding. I love it now, it feels good to see what I have grown from when they where little beans in my belly and that feeling you get when looking at your baby feeding. All warm and fuzzy,. And a slight stinging nipple from forgetting my cream lol

I didnt choose my son did, I choose to continue and breastfeed my next son and there was no question about what he was getting after I seen good results of the first.

ps my partner didnt feel left out in our house we believe mum feed baby and dad has loads to do. William is attached to his dad now more than me! plenty for dads to do when mum feeds and for them to bond with baby. we co sleep also.

It is cheaper and easier!! Lol! The thought of having to get up in the middle of the night with a crying/screaming baby and make a bottle would kill me!!

However, I have stuck and perservired (sp?) because I have the worst immune system known to man and asthma. I thought that BFing would help Erin build a fab immune system and possibly stop her getting asthma.

From the moment i found out i was pregnant, i was determined to breastfeed. Formula wasn't an option to me. I bought no equipment to aid bottle feeding. I researched and read up on why breastfeeding was the best decision for us.

My reasons for breastfeeding for me were:

- No periods

- Helps to aid weight loss

- Nobody taking him away from me - only i could feed him.

- Helps decrease risk of heart disease, ovarian and breast cancer, and osteoporosis

- Helps to create an immensely close bond with my baby

- I wanted the satisfaction of knowing i was feeding Leni, keeping him alive

- Less likely to develop PND, as i have a history of depression i really wanted to minimise the risk

- Convenience! I was tooooo lazy to bottle feed

- Financially it would cost us nothing

And for Leni:

- The best, natural, tailored, balanced and comforting nutrition

- Boosts immunity

- Less chance of developing obesity, ezcema, diabetes etc

- Help protect against many serious illnesses

- Reduces risk of SIDS, something i was terrified of

Leni arrived 6 weeks premature by emergency section and i didn't see or hold him for 24 hours. I was terrified that i wouldn't be able to breastfeed. However, i had lots of skin to skin, expressed exclusively (Leni had no suck), and then by the time he was around a week old he latched. My positioning and latch were correct, however i have very flat nipples so we used a nipple sheild for several weeks. I managed to wean us off the sheilds, which was very hard work! I've also had mastitis, sore nipples, cracked nipples, people judging me .... the lot.

However, i believe sheer determination has got me through!

I am so glad and happy that i am breastfeeding. It was the best decision for me, not to mention Leni! There are so many proven health benefits for the both of us that i just had to do it! I will definately be breastfeeding with my next baby, there's not a reason why i wouldn't. Once you get going it is so easy!

My partner didn't feel left out. There are so many other ways partners can bond with their babies other than feeding. Bathing, changing, playing, taking for a walk, massage ... the list goes on!

Pretty much for all of the reasons listed above!

Before I had Harry I was determined to do it, but was a bit worried about it feeling a bit weird as well. When he latched on for the first time in hospital it just felt like the most natural thing in the world, and we've hardly had any problems, he's definitely a bit of a born pro!:haha:

As for OH, he doesn't feel left out, because he gives little dude expressed bottles 1 night a week so I can go out and have a bit of "me" time. I don't like Harry having bottles when I'm there though, it makes me feel a bit redundant! :(

I initially chose to BF because it's what is common & expected in my area/family, and IMO it is the best food for the baby, plus the simplicity of not preparing bottles, really just whipping out the boob! I would have had a lot of nursing support form my family, I was BF for many years apparently. My family is from rural Hungary so there, it was the only choice anyways for them (except goat milk and no that's not even a goat joke its true)

Of course that didn't happen for me! Since Alex had a fractured collarbone at first, I had to exclusively pump because it was painful to be on the breast. I kept up with it for several weeks because I believed it was the best food for him. I eventually moved on to formula due to low supply (not knowing proper pumping technique, being abandoned by lactation consultants who did not return my calls), and his severe reflux (he was vomiting all expressed milk). There came a time I had no choice but to give him formula as there was no milk left.

I still think that BF is best for baby and when I have #2, would do the same again.

From the moment i found out i was pregnant, i was determined to breastfeed. Formula wasn't an option to me. I bought no equipment to aid bottle feeding. I researched and read up on why breastfeeding was the best decision for us.

- No periods

- Helps decrease risk of heart disease, ovarian and breast cancer, and osteoporosis

- Less likely to develop PND, as i have a history of depression i really wanted to minimise the risk

And for Leni:

- Boosts immunity

Leni arrived 6 weeks premature by emergency section and i didn't see or hold him for 24 hours. I was terrified that i wouldn't be able to breastfeed. However, i had lots of skin to skin, expressed exclusively (Leni had no suck), and then by the time he was around a week old he latched. My positioning and latch were correct, however i have very flat nipples so we used a nipple sheild for several weeks. I managed to wean us off the sheilds, which was very hard work! I've also had mastitis, sore nipples, cracked nipples, people judging me .... the lot.

I am so glad and happy that i am breastfeeding. It was the best decision for me, not to mention Leni! There are so many proven health benefits for the both of us that i just had to do it! I will definately be breastfeeding with my next baby, there's not a reason why i wouldn't. Once you get going it is so easy!

I really do admire your determination and success. :happydance:

Also having no period rocks! I only found that out after I was breastfeeding. And I was a high case for PND also but refused their drugs as I knew that would go through my milk. I never got PND and never felt happier in my life. :cloud9:

- No periods

And for Leni:

- Boosts immunity

Couldn't of put it any better myself! :flower:

I grew up in an environment of breastfeeding. I never even considered formula. I wanted my baby to have the food that was most perfectly tailored to his needs.
I loved the side benefits to me. Delayed periods, weight loss, etc. Others have listed the benefits to both baby and mother better than I could.
BF is free and I found it immensely freeing. Others mention feeling tied down, but I found the opposite to be true. I could go anywhere, anytime and not have to worry about if he might get hungry, should I bring stuff to make a bottle, etc. If he got hungry, whip out the boob, everyone's happy.
I suffered from constant recurring blocked ducts, which were painful and it took me a while to find out how to prevent them. I also am one of the unlucky ladies who had a baby who needed to feed constantly day and night and up until recently that was every 2-3 hours at most during the night and I've suffered the sleep deprivation just to make sure he got only breast milk at night because it's that important to me to give him every drop I could.
Unfortunately for me, I had to start combo feeding at 3 months due to low supply.
If I have another baby, I'd do everything in my power to exclusively breast feed him. I'd start supplements early and preventative measures against blocked ducts from day one. I'd pray that the second pregnancy helped me produce more milk ducts and that I wouldn't suffer from low supply again.
I hate giving formula. I know its not doing him any harm, but I find messing around with bottles to be a pain and I feel like I've let him down just a bit having to supplement.
My husband hasn't felt the least bit left out. He does all the cooking and cleaning, always has and can change a diaper better than most guys I know.

With ds1 I had a bad birth and horrible PPD for a long time. I had no help with BF'ing so I failed and had to FF. He's super small, even at his age now, and has had some health problems. I wanted to BF him, but with everything that happened I just couldn't. I knew I wanted to BF ds2. He was born completely different and it was so much better. He is a big big big boy (he's normal for BF, but the difference between him and ds1 are huge). He's actually only 7 lbs lighter than ds1 and they are almost 3 years apart. I just feel that ds2 is so much more healthier being BF than ds1 was being FF. I plan to BF all my future children.

Just wanted to add that DH didnt feel left out cuz with DD1 he fed her expressed milk while I was at work and with DD2, he bonds with her via cuddles, carrying her around in sling and rocks her etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->