For the BF mums, why did you choose to BF, esp if you found it tough at first?

My OH was determined for me to FF as his first boy was from day one. If he had had his way I wouldn't be answering this thread, it goes to show you how pressure works both ways. He wanted me to FF so badly so he could bond and feed LO, so I initially said I would do 6 weeks of BF for LO to get all the good stuff then change over to FF.
Quite clearly I didn't once I got past the cracked bleeding nipples, pain, hour-long normal feeds and 3hr cluster feeds, getting up 3x a night for an hour at a time and being totally responsible for LO's nourishment, which was really hard for me to start with but as he got more experienced it was a lot less demanding than it was when he was a brand new baby. I suffered with engorgement something awful and was dumb enough to think it couldn't happen to me as I was an A cup before baby... well I turned into a D cup and couldn't believe it lol. I wasn't prepared for the hard-as-rocks feeling though or the shooting let down pain or any of that.
But I still didn't give up because through all that I bonded in a way I can't explain with my boy. I read up on BF like Dragonfly did as I knew not much about it, just that it was what we are supposed to be able to do and the milk is natural for baby. I realized just how many benefits there really were (AOB has them listed in one of her posts) and chose not to switch to FF. From there I became very pro-BF and it upset OH but he gave in when he saw how easy BF had become, how much it didn't take out of his bank balance lol, and how content LO was BFing... why change him over to FF when he was happy BFing and cosleeping and we were all getting a decent night's sleep?
Our BF journey together lasted 11 months and I loved every second of it, even the really hard part at the beginning because that showed me I had perseverance I never knew I had in me before :) I weaned LO two weeks ago because the mini-pill dried up my milk :dohh: (OH's idea for me to go on it, I was told it wouldn't do much to my milk, what a joke lol.) If I could I would still be BFing LO now but I am proud of the 11 months we spent together BFing and I try not to be sad about weaning him anymore.
Oh... and I got my AF back at 5 months PP exclusively BFing... :growlmad: I was one of the unlucky ones!

And (being brave here, and ducking for cover) formula makes me feel a bit funny, it kind of gives me the heeby jeebies. Again, totally me - I'm not saying there is actually anything wrong with it, but I can't seem to get past it :wacko: I've always had a weird thing with mik, it started in primary school when we used to get cartons of warm milk :sick: and now when I see warm milk or anything vaguely related to it, it makes me feel weird.

I have the same, I always felt a bit funny about formula. My eldest had some cartons of ready made formula when he was quite young but I couldn't ever buy the powder one and when it was at my sisters (she had SMA powder but only used it for cereal etc); I kept asking her if shes sure it isn't off LOL. My only one that ended up having to have formula he was on a comfort formula and its quite a bit different; more granular and makes up differently as well so I was able to put it in my head its 'not really formula'. With me though I think it stems from my mum being essentially forced to put my two younger sisters on formula; by health professionals and she was deeply upset about it and though I was still extremely little I still remember. In both cases as well the formula didn't do anything for them; my sister closest in age to me did start to gain weight but it was only 2oz a week tops and she was extremely sickly. My other younger sister it didn't get rid of her prolonged jaundice or help her gain weight and my mum decided to relactate at about 3 months; which she did but my sister has had lasting health problems because of it and my mum has felt guilty for years and years. Formula is not poison and many babies have no problems whatsoever on it however babies in my extended family have done so I think thats why I feel a bit weird about it. I also think a lot of the marketing done by formula companies, even in the west where no-one is going to die from making up formula with dirty water for example; is still very sinister and underhand and doesn't have mums' or babies' health or best interests at heart. Falsely marketing a formula as 'closest to breastmilk' when there is no proof of this and when all the other formulas on the market have to have the same ingredients and nutrients, is really unethical IMHO. I must stress this is just my opinion but if I was an exclusively FF mum I'd still be really against it as I'd want to have unbiased access to the best product for my baby. Cows milk and other animal milks are just so much a part of the culture in this society that I find many health professionals even just don't recognise or even know in some circumstances that its possible to be allergic to it nor the long term health problems such as colitis and crohns that a severe dairy allergy can cause. How many times have I heard or seen midwives, health visitors and even the odd paediatrician just recommend a different brand or a 'lighter' formula (whatever that is!?) when the baby is clearly suffering major issues from cows milk formula and a non cows milk formula would be the safer bet.

I've been thinking about the bonding thing, and I think there's no way for me to know if it made a difference as I've not done both. We do have a great bond, and now that things are easy and comfortable I really like our feeding times! It's a pity they are all between the hours of 7pm and 7am, but hey you can't have everything :rofl:

And (being brave here, and ducking for cover) formula makes me feel a bit funny, it kind of gives me the heeby jeebies. Again, totally me - I'm not saying there is actually anything wrong with it, but I can't seem to get past it :wacko: I've always had a weird thing with mik, it started in primary school when we used to get cartons of warm milk :sick: and now when I see warm milk or anything vaguely related to it, it makes me feel weird.

I have the same, I always felt a bit funny about formula. My eldest had some cartons of ready made formula when he was quite young but I couldn't ever buy the powder one and when it was at my sisters (she had SMA powder but only used it for cereal etc); I kept asking her if shes sure it isn't off LOL. My only one that ended up having to have formula he was on a comfort formula and its quite a bit different; more granular and makes up differently as well so I was able to put it in my head its 'not really formula'. With me though I think it stems from my mum being essentially forced to put my two younger sisters on formula; by health professionals and she was deeply upset about it and though I was still extremely little I still remember. In both cases as well the formula didn't do anything for them; my sister closest in age to me did start to gain weight but it was only 2oz a week tops and she was extremely sickly. My other younger sister it didn't get rid of her prolonged jaundice or help her gain weight and my mum decided to relactate at about 3 months; which she did but my sister has had lasting health problems because of it and my mum has felt guilty for years and years. Formula is not poison and many babies have no problems whatsoever on it however babies in my extended family have done so I think thats why I feel a bit weird about it. I also think a lot of the marketing done by formula companies, even in the west where no-one is going to die from making up formula with dirty water for example; is still very sinister and underhand and doesn't have mums' or babies' health or best interests at heart. Falsely marketing a formula as 'closest to breastmilk' when there is no proof of this and when all the other formulas on the market have to have the same ingredients and nutrients, is really unethical IMHO. I must stress this is just my opinion but if I was an exclusively FF mum I'd still be really against it as I'd want to have unbiased access to the best product for my baby. Cows milk and other animal milks are just so much a part of the culture in this society that I find many health professionals even just don't recognise or even know in some circumstances that its possible to be allergic to it nor the long term health problems such as colitis and crohns that a severe dairy allergy can cause. How many times have I heard or seen midwives, health visitors and even the odd paediatrician just recommend a different brand or a 'lighter' formula (whatever that is!?) when the baby is clearly suffering major issues from cows milk formula and a non cows milk formula would be the safer bet.

Totally agree with this, you can say a lot of things about formula, it's a great invention, but close/closest to breastmilk? You can't really compare it to breastmilk at all, it's a totally different thing. It is a breastmilk substitute, but that doesn't make them comparable as versions of the same thing. If they wanted to compare themselves against each other fair enough, you can say that something has more X or more Y and why this might be beneficial, but you can't say it about BM as the answer to "what is in it" is "whatever the baby needs at that time" rather than a list of "X, Y, Z........"

When I was pregnant I always said I'd give it a go and if it didn't work out, I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I had no idea how hard it could be, was told it was the most natural thing in the world and if you did it right, you'd never need anything like Lansinoh, it'd be totally pain free :wacko:

As it turned out, Aisling latched on on day one and didn't latch again until she was nearly 2.5 weeks old despite me trying at every feed. I didn't have any support in hospital with the nurses and midwives ignoring me during the night despite asking for help. I had one midwife who basically accused me of starving her and gave her some formula while I watched crying because I couldn't believe I was a bad mum making her hungry. Then the next midwife came on shift and had a go at me for letting her have formula because if she wasn't hungry enough she wouldn't be bothered with bfing :growlmad:

So we went home and I pumped as much as I could but couldn't keep up because we had to move countries when she was 3 weeks old and I had to top up with formula until she was 5 weeks old. I'm a stubborn, determined perfectionist and I refused to 'fail' at it. But if she hadn't just latched on one day, I don't know how much longer I would have persevered, I was just lucky that one day she woke up and somehow figured it out :)

I chose to BF because I always said I'd give it ago. I had loads of problems to start with, shallow latch (she wouldn't open her mouth wide enough), a big drop from birth weight that meant I had to have a night on the childrens ward ( the staff were really supportive of me BF and didn't push formula on me which was what I was expecting, very judgemental of me ) aswell as thrush and the usual issues inbetween.

The one thing I have learned is how stubborn I am, whenever my mam said "just give her a bottle it'll be easier" or when friends and family assumed that I would stop at 3 months I dug my heels in and carried on BF. Now I'm so glad I did, it's so much more convenient than FF, she doesn't cry for food and I enjoy the night feeds because I get extra snuggly hugs without leaving my bed!

We bought formula just in case but it's just sitting in the cupboard unopened. OH has been so supportive, looking up ways to help when I was going through the cracked sore nipple stage (he found out about and read up on nipple shields which were a god send). He has also had no trouble bonding with her, her gets the biggest and best smile off her when he comes home from work because she knows it's playtime with daddy 

I chose to breastfeed because my Mom did.
All throughout my pregnancy, I said I was going to. I heard "Well, what if you can't?" from EVERYONE irl along with stories of how they tried and didn't get anything, so I might not be able to. It made me more determined to breastfeed than anything.
When LO was born, I only had problems with my flat nipples, but it was easily sorted with a nipple shield (which we weaned from at like 7/8 weeks). And although I randomly get a low supply or my boobs randomly hurt, we have no problems. She's 7 1/2 months old and still breastfeeding (20-ish times a day at that! lol).

I struggled a lot at first but I had it set in mind that I wanted to BF from when I was pregnant. Knowing breast is best really helped me persevere in the beginning, plus I knew the pain would only be temporary!

I wanted the best for Emma. Simple as that really. I very nearly quit and Emma has had formula in two weeks of her life when my milk supply couldn't keep up and she was losing weight. But I gritted my teeth and got through it all. Has anyone actually tasted formula? It tastes awful. But my breastmilk is nice and sweet and yummy. :lol: I often worry that for some reason I may not be able to breastfeed future children. I think I'd be devastated if I couldn't. It's been such an amazing bonding experience for us and Emma still loves having her cuddles throughout the day. :cloud9:

Although I didn't manage to bf as long as I would have liked to, my initial decision to bf was influenced by the society i was raised. To be honest, no body asked if I was planing to bf my twins because it was expected of me. Although I know many people that ff, I know more people that bf. I'm from a bfing family and I figured if my mum could bf me and her bestfriends son (we are born one month apart) for a year and me alone for a two and a half years, surely I could bf my twins that long. Sadly things didn't work out for us. And yes, it was painful for the short time I managed. And yes, I do miss it terribly. I'm hoping should I have anotehr baby (which I seriously doubt), I will definitely give bfing a shot again and hope my milk does not dry up again.

I wanted the best for Emma. Simple as that really. I very nearly quit and Emma has had formula in two weeks of her life when my milk supply couldn't keep up and she was losing weight. But I gritted my teeth and got through it all. Has anyone actually tasted formula? It tastes awful. But my breastmilk is nice and sweet and yummy. :lol: I often worry that for some reason I may not be able to breastfeed future children. I think I'd be devastated if I couldn't. It's been such an amazing bonding experience for us and Emma still loves having her cuddles throughout the day. :cloud9:

Well, I haven't actually tasted my BM (havn't been tempted tbh), but i have tasted formula and I think it is quite nice.... I kid you not! Sometimes (rarely though) when I'm preparing bottles, I take two scoops of powder milk in my mouth :blush:

Delicious!

Well, I haven't actually tasted my BM (havn't been tempted tbh), but i have tasted formula and I think it is quite nice.... I kid you not! Sometimes (rarely though) when I'm preparing bottles, I take two scoops of powder milk in my mouth :blush:

Delicious!

:rofl::rofl: Maybe I just haven't tried the right brand. ;)

Our formula is vile. When I tried it, I nearly puked. Don't know how the kid can stand it. Breast milk is so sweet and delicious.

I feel silly but the thought of trying my own breastmilk grosses me out sooo much. But I'm sure I will regret it if I don't try it at all! Just...ewww :sick:

Glad I'm not the only one who's tasted her own breastmilk (well I'm assuming it was your own! :haha:)

When I told a freind that breastmilk is quite sweet and nice she asked how I knew, I said I tasted it (I have a habit of tasting everything I feed my children - if I don't like it, they don't get it) and she gave me such a look as if I was a right freak! lol

Delicious!

:rofl::rofl: Maybe I just haven't tried the right brand. ;)

Well, I don't know if you guys have S-26 Gold where you live, but that stuff is mouth watering. Well, at least for me it is and perhaps for my babies, as they cry for milk... but than again that was also the case when i Bfd, so maybe it has more to do with them being hungry. Oh well. I still think it tastes good.

I taste everything I give Emma too! I'm just far too curious. DH has tried it too. I would offer it to anyone if they wanted to try it. Not straight from 'the tap' of course, but if someone was super curious I wouldn't mind pumping a little into a cup. :rofl: It's just milk after all. :D

My midwife encouraged it, it's just the norm for mothers these days. The hospital had a strict breastfeeding policy. And I wanted the best for my son.

Plus dealing with formula and bottles is a nightmare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->