For those that had their first u/s already..

PhoenixCT

Reaction score
Was yours done with the transvaginal probe? Or was it on your abdomen outside? I have no idea what mine would be. It just says ultrasound and they didn't give me any directions (ie., full bladder, empty bladder, etc).

My first ultrasounds have always been transvaginal. Usually give a urine sample before but my bladder has always been asked to be emptied.

How far along will you be? In my experience, before 11 weeks they do a transvaginal. After that, they do transabdominal.

I'll be 8+3 by then. I'm a little weirded out by the transvaginal after going down the rabbit hole on a bunch of other threads where women were asked to insert it themselves. I don't know why it seems so weird to me. I was hoping to skip the whole awkwardness.

Early ones around 5-8 weeks are usually transvaginal, but for me they've always tried both. I figure it doesn't hurt to show up with a semi full bladder, they can always have you empty it.

The last time this pregnancy the us tech was a man and he had me insert it myself, under the blanket of course, it was a little strange but quick and the rest isnt bad. Any female us tech ive had always inserted it themselves, no issue :)

I have never heard of anyone being asked to insert them themselves, holy cow. :shock:

It's really an easy thing honestly! You're completely covered and they just insert the wand with a condom on. Very quick and you forget quickly it's there once you see baby!

I was only ever asked if I wanted to insert it myself by a female tech at the emergency room. My normal OB will always just do it herself. I found it super awkward when she asked if I wanted to do it and told her no it was fine she could go ahead lol

When the man had me insert it myself it was in the emergency room too :)

When my OB sent me for my first ultrasound, they actually requested both ways. I was told to come with a full bladder as they did the abdominal first, then I was able to go to the bathroom, and then we did the transvaginal. I think they had reasons for both.

Mine they always attempt abdominal first which is never a good enough image so they do transvaginal. I've never been asked to insert it myself I would be weirded by that. And the thought of any of the vaginal stuff for pregnancy always weirded me out to think about but once you are in there you forget about all that bc the focus is all on the baby. I've always had extremely professional nurses and Drs and I just don't feel awkward once I'm there if that makes sense. And I'm very prudish about my body.

Mine is tomorrow. They told me to come with a full bladder, but I expect fully to be given a transvaginal ultimately. I'm both overweight (slightly) and have a tilted u, I'd be shocked if they saw anything through my belly. I think I read somewhere that it's standard procedure to attempt an abdominal one first.

I remember being given a transvaginal when we were trying to diagnose some issues I was having. I guess they weren't getting good pics from the front even without me being pregnant.

Both first abdominal then empty my bladder and transviginal

I had a scan at 8+1 and it was transabdominal. They tend to say full bladder for abdominal and empty for vaginal. Hope all goes well!

They always attempt transabdominal for me first. Then vaginal the second.

I had my first u/s almost 2 weeks ago. I had a normal abdominal u/s at 7 weeks and we were able to see the baby and the heartbeat. The technician said that it wasn't necessary to do a transvaginal, since we found the baby with an abdomen u/s.

My first was transvaginal with this pregnancy as I told them I wasnt sure on my dates...I had to insert the wand myself, which honestly isn't too terribly awkward. I assume they ask you to do it yourself so you don't tense when they try?

My first was transvaginal with this pregnancy as I told them I wasnt sure on my dates...I had to insert the wand myself, which honestly isn't too terribly awkward. I assume they ask you to do it yourself so you don't tense when they try?

Woah really? I've never had them let me do it myself. They always just kind of shove it up there! :growlmad: :haha:

I've had about a dozen early scans and even at 6 weeks I'm asked to come with a full bladder to later empty it for transvaginal. And every transvaginal us I have inserted the wand myself, under the cover. It's quite long and I would much prefer to do it myself rather than someone who can't feel your insides jam it in there. There is nothing uncomfortable about the insertion but sometimes they have to maneuver it around to get a pic of everything and that can be uncomfortable. Good luck

I was 7+1 and had only an abdominal.. was told to drink 32 oz of water the hour before.. they saw everything including heartbeat even though I'm overweight so no need for transvaginal

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->