For those TTC with PCOS

Hi Ladies,

I'm 20 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. I started NTNP in January 2009 and by July i'd still not had a period so I went to my GP because we wanted to start TTC. Blood tests and ultrasounds confirmed I had PCOS and in October 2009 I saw a gynaecologist for the first time. She prescribed me Metformin but it really didn't agree with me and I was advised to stop taking it about 4/5 months later. I did start having periods whilst taking the Metformin but my cycle length ranged from 29 - 91 days!

I tried conceiving naturally for a while but in June 2010 I saw a gynaecologist again who prescribed me 50mg Clomid. I'm on my 4th cycle of Clomid now and i'm finally ovulating so fingers crossed! :) Since I started taking Clomid all my cycles have been 31 days long as well.

Diagnosed in 08, to my knowledge I have not O'd in over a year. Right now focusing on losing weight to get my cycles normal. I have a clearblue fertility monitor but we won't be using until I drop weight.
Glad to know there's a few of us on this board! I felt so alone!

Hi Ladies,

I'm 20 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. I started NTNP in January 2009 and by July i'd still not had a period so I went to my GP because we wanted to start TTC. Blood tests and ultrasounds confirmed I had PCOS and in October 2009 I saw a gynaecologist for the first time. She prescribed me Metformin but it really didn't agree with me and I was advised to stop taking it about 4/5 months later. I did start having periods whilst taking the Metformin but my cycle length ranged from 29 - 91 days!

I tried conceiving naturally for a while but in June 2010 I saw a gynaecologist again who prescribed me 50mg Clomid. I'm on my 4th cycle of Clomid now and i'm finally ovulating so fingers crossed! :) Since I started taking Clomid all my cycles have been 31 days long as well.

heya sorry do you mind me asking, are you still on 50mg? did you always ovulate on 50mg from round 1? x

heya sorry do you mind me asking, are you still on 50mg? did you always ovulate on 50mg from round 1? x

I don't mind you asking :) I'm still on 50mg but I don't know if I ovulated in the first two cycles. I started taking clomid in August, then realised that i'd be in the middle of a 2 week holiday when CD21 came around so I couldn't get my bloods done. I used OPKs but didn't get a positive, though they did get darker around the day I now ovulate (just not dark enough).

Then the second cycle... my bloodwork got lost by the hospital :growlmad:

On the third cycle my bloods showed that i'd ovulated but i'd ran out of OPKs so didn't see the result on those. They didn't do bloodwork this cycle because I ovulated last cycle, but the OPK was positive and FF detected ovulation by temperature aswell so i'm quite sure I ovulated.

The gynaecologist planned to double my dose to 100mg if I didn't ovulate on 50mg.

Hope that helps :)

ah thank you thats really helpful :) I'm on my 2nd round of 50mg, not sure if it's worked or not, last month didn't seem to work :S OPKs got dark but not dark enough, this month I'm not sure, thought I may have had ovulation pains, but been having them on/off quite a lot, I did my day 21 blood test a bit later this time in the hope it would be more accurate, as I had a scan on cd14 which didn't show any large follicles? hmm I guess I'll find out next week lol, I had one positive opk on a very sensitive test, but then couldn't seem to get another one, so I think it was either too sensitive or caught the end of my surge or something? probably wishful thinking lol

did you have any ovulation pains at all? also, what day did you ovulate on? :)

best of luck :hugs: xxxxxxxx

Hey ladies,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in Dec 08 when I was 24 although I suspected I had it for about 6 years beforehand. My cycles used to range from 50 - 70 days and I used to bleed for 7 days and have lots of pain. After doing a lot of research on the internet I started to take agnus castus (vitex) and it was amazing. I had a period about 2 weeks after I started taking it and my cycles became regular (35 days) for the first time ever. After 4 months TTC I got my :bfp: and my son was born Oct 09.

Anyway, we are now TTC # 2 but I've only had 2 periods since he was born. I had a mc last month so I know I definitely ovulated at some point lol. I've been using OPKs since but still not got a positive. I've bought some more agnus castus but I think I'm going to go to the doctors next month and see if there's anything he can do to help.

Sorry that was so long, looking forward to getting to know you all xx

Hey, pockied, if your having A regular period I would definitely say your Ovulating!

You can have AF without ovulating- I do. I get my AF (after a round of Provera) but no ovulation (at all) unless I take Clomid

i have a period on average every 6-8 weeks, although tomorrow will be 9 weeks since my last. xx

ah thank you thats really helpful :) I'm on my 2nd round of 50mg, not sure if it's worked or not, last month didn't seem to work :S OPKs got dark but not dark enough, this month I'm not sure, thought I may have had ovulation pains, but been having them on/off quite a lot, I did my day 21 blood test a bit later this time in the hope it would be more accurate, as I had a scan on cd14 which didn't show any large follicles? hmm I guess I'll find out next week lol, I had one positive opk on a very sensitive test, but then couldn't seem to get another one, so I think it was either too sensitive or caught the end of my surge or something? probably wishful thinking lol

did you have any ovulation pains at all? also, what day did you ovulate on? :)

best of luck :hugs: xxxxxxxx

I never used to get any ovulation pains, but last cyle I got a few twinges around ovulation - this month I had nothing though.

I ovulated on CD17 last cycle (31 day cycle for the 4th time) but this cycle I ovulated on CD15 so i'm not sure if my cycle will be shorter or not...

Hey, pockied, if your having A regular period I would definitely say your Ovulating!

You can have AF without ovulating- I do. I get my AF (after a round of Provera) but no ovulation (at all) unless I take Clomid
Yes I understand that, but if u have a regular cycle- have a regular bleed you are most likely Ovulating. I'm not talking about meds that try and regulate your cycle.

Don't lose hope! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15- My hubby and I got together when I was 16 and we ne never prevented (foolishly) I got my first AF when I was 18 and soon after only got a cycle 1x a year! My pcos consisted of facial hair, hormonal imbalance, annovulation. Infact, my first time I ovulated is when I got prego!! My Dr. did my first round of provera and Clomid 50mg on cd5-9, ovulated on cd15 and got a bfp on 10dpo- I hope I don't upset anyone by being here since I am pregnant, I just want to help people have hope. I never thought I would be pregnant- I also know a few ppl who took clomid and it worked for them. Keep faith ladies!! Pcos sucks but its the leading reason for infertility and thankfully doctors are very familiar with this disease!! Good luck ladies!! xoxo

Even if I have a regular bleed, without the meds (I have them occasionally) I still don't ovulate. So it is possible (I asked my FS) to have normal menstrual cycles and NOT ovulate. It's called Anovulation

Even if I have a regular bleed, without the meds (I have them occasionally) I still don't ovulate. So it is possible (I asked my FS) to have normal menstrual cycles and NOT ovulate. It's called Anovulation

Without some type of meds, or Soy, I won't ovulate, but of course I get AF eventually, but it's like a 60+ day cycle. That's an anovulatory cycle. But when you have regular 30 or so day cycles, you are almost for sure ovulating...

Without some type of meds, or Soy, I won't ovulate, but of course I get AF eventually, but it's like a 60+ day cycle. That's an anovulatory cycle. But when you have regular 30 or so day cycles, you are almost for sure ovulating...

Exactly what I was saying...
I went to the hospital this cycle on day 21 to get my bloods done to confirm if I am Ovulating ( they were aware I was as I have been preg twice this year)
And it came back to say I hadn't ovulated. I knew this because of me temping, anyway I ended up Ovulating on day 37 of this month, which meat it would have been a 50 day cycle, and I got my bfp a few days ago so I am obviously Ovulating.

Hello ladies :wave: I went off bc in July of this year, had 3 beautiful cycles, and then started having ovary pain and irregular cycles. An ultrasound showed tons of cysts on my ovaries, but my last cycle was quite long (48 days). I am now on day 31 of a new cycle and I'm hoping, hoping (FX) that I ovulated this past weekend. Anyway, my doctor suspects pcos despite the fact that I am thin and have no physical signs of it. I go back in a few weeks, and may start Clomid. Has anyone had success with metformin or anything else short of Clomid? I feel reluctant to be on "fertility" drugs and so does my DH...

lace&pearls, you asked about pain...I have discomfort all month long in my right ovary. It gets more intense, sometimes on both sides, near ovulation time. Some days I feel so, so tired of having this nagging discomfort in my belly. Does anyone else have that?

Can I ask a question in regards to clomid (UK ladies) - Do you have to pay for it... if so how much is it? Is it expensive? Or is it the same price as a normal prescription?

I am hoping to be given it in February so want to know if its going to cost how much I will have to save etc.

Also; How many rounds can you take it for?

Hello ladies :wave: I went off bc in July of this year, had 3 beautiful cycles, and then started having ovary pain and irregular cycles. An ultrasound showed tons of cysts on my ovaries, but my last cycle was quite long (48 days). I am now on day 31 of a new cycle and I'm hoping, hoping (FX) that I ovulated this past weekend. Anyway, my doctor suspects pcos despite the fact that I am thin and have no physical signs of it. I go back in a few weeks, and may start Clomid. Has anyone had success with metformin or anything else short of Clomid? I feel reluctant to be on "fertility" drugs and so does my DH...

lace&pearls, you asked about pain...I have discomfort all month long in my right ovary. It gets more intense, sometimes on both sides, near ovulation time. Some days I feel so, so tired of having this nagging discomfort in my belly. Does anyone else have that?

Unfortunately, Metformin has not made any slight difference to my cycle, Some women it helps, some it don't :(

Metformin brought my periods back but have not ovulated! This year I'm trying weight loss!

I'm joining you ladies...I have PCOS and I just came of the pill. I'm on Metformin and I'm taking Vitamin B6...that's it for now. I'm gonna try soy possibly. I have luteal phase defect so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->