For those WHO weaned early...

Lucy_lu_84

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
First I want to say I know this topic is a bit controversal, and I don't want it to turn into a big debate about whether you should wean early or not. I just want to ask a question to those who DID wean there LO early.

Can I ask what your reasons were?
What ages you started?
Did it make a positive difference to your LO?

I'm not ready to start weaning yet, I still think he is a bit young and not really ready IMO but I have had a lot of people telling me to try him on baby rice. They are under the impression that it will make him sleep a little longer at night - I'm not so convinced! LOL However my friend whos LO is exactly the same age as Joshua swears by it, she started her daughter on baby rice already and has said since doing so that she has slept thru! So really i was wondering if any of you have found it helped you LO sleep better...or if it made no difference.

My LO has never slept thru and the only time we got 6 hours from him was after swimming. He used to wake every 2, but has recently gone to every 3 hours!

Anyway would like to hear your experiences ...thanks xx

i weaned archie at 17 weeks on the advice of the doc, as hes intolerant to dairy there was no hungry babymilk for hi to have, however for the first 6 weeks all we did was babyrice and basic fruit purees, they did fill him better and satisfy him during the day (he was still hungry after a bottle beofre this) but it didnt make any difference to his night time sleep tbh
after 8 weeks we ditched puree and switched to blw which we found fab

Can I ask what your reasons were?He was taking 6-8oz milk every 2 hours, stopped sleeping through and was generally very mardy!
What ages you started?I think it was about 13/14 weeks for a spoonful of baby rice. Kept him on that for a 3 weeks or so then started adding carrot and parsnip to it
Did it make a positive difference to your LO?Definately! He was a totally different baby by day 2. I think he was just hungry all the time, then tired from waking up to be fed during the night. It's not made any difference to his weigh he's still just below the 50th centile.

I've recently started because he has been sinking an 8 oz bottle in 5 mins, and shouting for more. He went from being a really settled baby to very unsettled. The hungry baby milk made no difference so I started with baby rice. I even stopped it after a few days as I really wanted to wait til 6 mth but when I stopped he became grumpy again! X

*We started at 18weeks.
*Started because she was having 8-9oz bottles at a time and was a little upset and wanting more food HV recommended giving it a try. Hungry baby milk didn't agree with her at all.
*We started on rice for a week or two, then just veggies until she was 6m.
*It was positive. She changed instantly was so happy.

Not me personally but a very close friend weaned her little boy at 17 weeks because he just wouldnt settle seemed constantly hungry and she hoped it would help him sleep!

Unfortuantly for her weaning him had no effect! x

My friend weaned very early, at 3m to try and get him to sleep and it had no effect whatsoever....

Landon was weaned early, but at the time that was the recommendation. He was a little over 3mo. He hasn't had anything bad happen or anything, BUT he does have very bad eczema and the drs have agreed now with the research there is now it could be from starting early. He was already sleeping through the night before starting, but it's now been shown that rice does not make them sleep any better. What it does is give them more at once, but digests just as fast so alot of times the baby ends up overeating but it doesn't help anything in the long run. Hayden didn't sleep through until 15mo and obviously was on solids then lol...I really don't think it helps at all :)

*We started at 18weeks.
*Started because she was having 8-9oz bottles at a time and was a little upset and wanting more food HV recommended giving it a try. Hungry baby milk didn't agree with her at all.
*We started on rice for a week or two, then just veggies until she was 6m.
*It was positive. She changed instantly was so happy.

same here except we weaned her at 11 and a half weeks.

Maley was sleeping through before we weaned her anyway and shes a skinny little thing now. Eats loads though.

Thanks girls!

Makes interesting reading!
I personally don't think feeding my LO baby rice will help him sleep through. My OH seems very keen to give him some though and we fell out about it the other day! People keep telling him to do it, as it will make Lo sleep though! I'm not keen, as he shows no interest in food and is happy and settled after a feed.

i will be showing my Oh the posts about not helping them sleep thru to prove we can wait! LOl he isn't even the one who does the night feeds *rolls eyes*

Thanks girls!

I personally don't think feeding my LO baby rice will help him sleep through. My OH seems very keen to give him some though and we fell out about it the other day! People keep telling him to do it, as it will make Lo sleep though! I'm not keen, as he shows no interest in food and is happy and settled after a feed.

i will be showing my Oh the posts about not helping them sleep thru to prove we can wait! LOl he isn't even the one who does the night feeds *rolls eyes*

Maybe if you show him this it might help?

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

I started Chaise on baby rice at 12 weeks and weaned at 16 weeks.
The reason: He is a very very hungry baby and suffers from gastric reflux. He was having a bottle every 1 1/2 hours (even at night) and he shot up from the 75th to 91st percentile in weight, which seemed to be because milk wasn't satisfying him anymore.
As soon as I started giving him purees he went from having a bottle ever 1 1/2 hours during the night to sleeping 5 1/2 hours! And being a much more settled and happier baby.

I know its a very controversial subject and I don't agree with early weaning unless there's a reason for it, but for us it really helped :)

Noah had very bad reflux, he screamed with pain and projectile vomited foul smelling yellow goo :sick: so started baby rice in the mornings, reflux improved dramatically. Then he stopped gaining weight and then started losing. So I either had to stop BFing or wean, I chose to wean.

What ages you started?
He was 18 weeks when starting baby rice in the morns. Then he started having proper meals a couple of days ago, brekkie and lunch, so 21 weeks.

He has started gaining again, still slow. But its still early days so we will see in 2 weeks time. He sleeps better, but he has also just started taking a dummy, so could be coincidenial. The improvement in reflux is the main thing for us :) xxx

Thanks girls!

Maybe if you show him this it might help?

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

Gosh I have never even heard of cereal in the bottle! Not something I will be trying thats for sure

we started weaning around the 4 1/2 to five month mark because alex wasnt gaining very much weight and would only have between 3-5 oz half feeds normal c+g half feeds nutriprem

definately had a positive effect he still wont drink alot of milk but will eat untill he is ready to pop ! he is still tiny but was 5 weeks early

we have just started weaning last weekend at 20 weeks and so far he is loving it! did it cos he seemed to be showing all the signs, and am very happy we did as he was clearly ready for it. can't say it has helped him sleep, in fact the first few nights were some of the worst we have had but i think it was just coincidence as he seems to be improving again now *fingers crossed*

I didnt see this and just asked about weaning early!

Lo's weight was dropping down the curve every week, and 5 bottles were/are turning into upto 9 bottles a day - never taking a full one, and having it in drips and drabs with no interest. She also had 4 of the 6 signs to start.

What ages you started?
16 weeks - clinic suggest I start now (17 weeks) and had to admit I started last week!

yes! Great weight gain putting her back up on the right curve. Didnt have any sleep issues before on a night, but did with no day time naps and grouchiness - now she haas a nap after her meall and bottle and is a much happier baby and is enjoying her food. I am keeping to gluten free.

It shouldnt be a subject anyone has to avoid, as 6 months isnt a one size fits all - it's a RECOMMENDATION. I was told 18 weeks is what they are now told to recommend if they feel it's right.

Can I ask what your reasons were? Reflux baby rice lines there tummys weight loss followed by poor weight gain
What ages you started? 18 wks after 3 wks of hv going on and on
Did it make a positive difference to your LO?yes she no longer throws up as much and is gaining weight

we started weaning around the 4 1/2 to five month mark because alex wasnt gaining very much weight and would only have between 3-5 oz half feeds normal c+g half feeds nutriprem

definately had a positive effect he still wont drink alot of milk but will eat untill he is ready to pop ! he is still tiny but was 5 weeks early

Sounds just like lily ...she will eat solids till the cows come home but refuses milk hardly takes any so i mix it with powdered babyfood ..was wanting to do baby led weaning and think once she is bigger i still will x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->