"Forced" to use certain letters for names!

sophiedaphne

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So we are probably going to start TTC early 2016 once we've settled into a bigger place and I start getting paid a bit more. Baby names have been something we've discussed for awhile and we agree on very few... we've found a few girl's names we like, but very few for boys.

Anyway, my mom is insistent to the point of me feeling forced that we have to incorporate the initials "S" and "A" in "honor" of deceased relatives. I'm an only child so I have to be the one to use these... For a girl, it isn't a huge deal as I like several S/A names, but for boys, literally, there are none... I also don't appreciate being forced into it (I know I'm not actually being forced, but I feel the pressure from them and want them to not be angry at me because of it).

For girls, so far we like:

Skylar Alexandra (I think our top pick right now)
Siena
Sydney
Alyssa
And any possible combination of the above.

So, I guess my point is, what would you do, and, secondarily, what boy's names do you like that start with S and/or A? I just had a bit of a debate with my mom about this, and as soon as I started suggesting that maybe we could just use one of the initials as a middle name, she got a little hot-headed and then had to go do chores so as to not discuss it anymore :wacko:

Thanks in advance :)

There are so many girl names I like that start with A! We can't use A names because it makes tease-worthy initials with our surname.

It's a bit harder for boys:
Silas
Sebastian
Sawyer

I can't really think of any I even like starting with A!! Although Austin is ok :flower:

I honestly would tell my mum that it wasn't happening! Unless of course you really wanted to use a name starting with those letters anyway. My mum is always giving me her unwanted opinion on names. I tell her that she's had her turn, and now its mine.

What you call your child has nothing to do with your Mum, I'd tell her to back off and use names based on what YOU want!

I would say the same - it's totally up to you what you name a child. I would have a look back through your family tree and see if there are any names that you like (that begin with any letter of the alphabet) that you would use as a first name or middle name. You could say you were choosing it as a tribute to the family in general then.

And honestly, when a baby comes along, they probably won't give a flying fig what it's name is at they will just adore it!

The name we would have used for Amelia had she been a boy was Alexander. And one of 'his' middle names would have been Anthony.

I think you should do what you want ultimately but if you want to then a compromise would be a middle name.

I truly appreciate everyone's insight :) In a perfect world I would just tell my mom to shove it (lol) but my parents are the only family I've got and I'm scared of rocking the boat. I know, I know... I can't help feeling that way, though. I think ultimately we'll probably just go with a middle name to appease them. My uncle's name was Andrew, and I think that's an alright middle name, so just to keep the peace I'd probably just do that :\

I'm not very strong when it comes to family things. Haha.

Boys names
Abel
Arthur
Atticus
Archie
Alfie
Samuel
Sebastian
Stephen
Shaun
Sirus
Sloan

Completely up to you and not your mum. I would take the advice with a pinch of salt you can't firce yourself to like a name x

My in laws said I had to use a particular middle name for a boy and fil keeps going on about a female version of the name for a girl.
I just said no and that's the end of it.
Xx

I like:
Arlo
Atticus
Alistair
Abel
Alvin

Silas
Simon
Sebastian
Solomon

But, it's your baby and if you don't love any of the names that fit with those initials then just be honest with your mom and tell her you don't want to name your kid something you don't love.

My DH has two middle names in honour of his grandfathers, so you could always pick a different first name and give two middle names with A & S initials.

Firstly, stop discussing name options with your mom. Whenever she brings it up, change the subject or tell her point blank it's not up for discussion. This is you and your husband's child, not your mother's. Do you really want to look back years from now, and regret naming your child something you didn't absolutely love "just to keep the peace"? That's absurd.

What does your husband say about this? Is it something he agrees on, or are you forcing him in to this, like your mother is forcing you?

When my mom gets persistent about certain names, I tell her she can have another and use the name herself. She went through menopause ages ago, but it gets the point across!

I agree, your mother has no say and she's being selfish by pushing this on you. Name your kids what you want to name them and she will get over it.

Sidney
Alexander
Schuylar

^ basically their are 3 masculine names already on your list

I love Schuylar for a boy but OH vitoed it because hes too stupid to understand phonics and keeps saying shoe-ler :dohh:

other options:

Samual
Sampson
Steven
Sol
Sonny
Scott
Shawn
Sebastian
Simon
Stanley
Stuart

Andrew
Allan
Adam
Acher
Anthony
Austin
Aiden
Asher

What does your husband say about this? Is it something he agrees on, or are you forcing him in to this, like your mother is forcing you?

Um, wow, no, I haven't forced him into anything. I have discussed it with him, and he's pretty ambivalent about it. I'm not sure where anything suggested I was forcing him into anything.

Um, wow, no, I haven't forced him into anything. I have discussed it with him, and he's pretty ambivalent about it. I'm not sure where anything suggested I was forcing him into anything.

Which is why I was asking. I wasn't saying you were doing so, I was simply asking what your husband thought about the entire ordeal. My original point still stands. You're allowing your mother to walk over your decision, and is making what should be a fun, exciting experience for you and your husband to enjoy into something stressful and unpleasant. Again, if you look back years from now, are you going to regret not standing your ground?

Your mother will get over her disappointment of you naming your own children that you pushed out of your own vagina names that you actually want to name them.

since I think you got the point about how much say your mom should get from the PPs I'll skip along to suggesting names.. tried not to repeat others suggestions..

Alexander
Saul
Sullivan
Ashton
Arden
Anton
Augustus
Abraham

Here are A names that I like for boys:
Aidan
Andres
Ashton
Austin
Ayden
Adamo
Adrien
Adom

And the S names I like:
Spencer
Sydney

I am hoping to do with go with my first initial and DH first initial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->