Former breastfeeding/pumping Mums

IsabellaJayne

Mum of beautiful girls! WTT Dec 2023
Reaction score
...when will my milk dry up?!

I was pumping for 9 days and switched to formula nearly 2 weeks ago & milk is still pouring out!!

How long did it take for your milk to dry up?

took a good couple months for me to stop *pouring* but I did stop gradually at seven months. Ironically enough I still produced milk three years after I stopped (milk came out if squeezed). And it stopped producing after I gave birth to DS (it did restart five days after). Dumb body, everything is backwards with me lol

I stopped pumping when DS2 was around 6 months, and still had a month supply stored in freezer. Took a few months to dry up most of the way, but honestly 10 months later I can still squeeze out droplets. Takes a while to stop producing completely.

I stopped gradually and it took around 2 weeks to dry up (not need to pump anyway). Try peppermint tea, I've been told it's bad for supply! May help speed up the process. :)

I breast fed my 1st for 11 months , it took 2 months before it stopped leaking and 2 years later I could still get milk out so I don't know how come it takes so long

...when will my milk dry up?!

I was pumping for 9 days and switched to formula nearly 2 weeks ago & milk is still pouring out!!

How long did it take for your milk to dry up?

Just me being curious but why have you switched to formula?

I gradually stopped pumping it was just too hard with a 4 year old and a refluxy baby I was feeling defeated if any of my milk was "wasted" and already being stressed it wasn't a healthy cycle of thinking,I for one know just how hard it can be and affect your joy in parenting so don't at all feel bad for stopping. Formula has turned into my BEST-FRIEND and my baby is MUCH happier.
I went from pumping 6 times to 4 times to 2 times then once a day.

After a week of once a day it took about 5 days to stop feeling "full" and leaking.

Now milk comes out of I squeeze but it doesn't spray and I never feel full or sore.

Maybe pump a little bit for comfort on the painful days but just enough to reduce the pressure.

Hand express tiny bit off until u can gwt away with not doing it.
I pumped for 2 months.stopped gradually .
Once I got to pumping every third day
I switched to hand express bit jn shower if I felt I needed to.
Idid get mastitis though. Even though I did ir slowly.
I phased it down ovwr 3 plus weeks it stopped really soon then.
Best of luck.
Hope it stops soon x

I nursed exclusively for 2 days but ended up having to pump due to having too strong of a flow, and pumped for 7 days and then quit cold turkey, with exception of one small pumping session to relieve pressure, because I couldn't handle pumping with my lack of sleep and PPD. It took me about a week to get to the point where my breasts no longer hurt, and two weeks/almost three before I could finally stop wearing pads in my bras. I am almost 2 months postpartum now and I still leak if I squeeze my breasts but otherwise I'm fine.

At first I had issues drying up, but I started regularly taking Sudophed for my sinus problems, and that helped a lot with drying up faster, Sudophed is known to dry up supply. So I suggest trying that out, even if you don't have any allergy problems it won't hurt to take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->