Formula and breast feeding, good/bad idea?

ab2401

Reaction score
In the beginning I was not going to breastfeed my baby, but after going over the information I have decided that with my smoking issue and the fact that its just better for the baby to go on and breast feed.

My only other issue is that when I was younger I had a bad experience and I can not handle having something latched on to my nipple. I know it would make me very uncomfortable so what I have decided to do is pump breast milk and bottle feed it and also formula feed. So that way when I do go to introduce her to formula there will not be any chance she will not take a bottle. She might not talk the milk but in that case I will only do the breast milk.

Does anyone think this will work?

I'm thinking by doing it this way she will be getting to best of both worlds.
I'm also thinking of doing more breast milk then formula in the first 6 weeks and then the older she get the less breast milk.

I will be a new mom next month and I really have no idea how any of this will work. My whole family thinks I'm crazy for even trying the whole breastfeeding thing, but to me it seems to be the better choice for my baby. So I want to find the best method for both Rylee and I.

How long do babies even take bottles?

You're right - some breast milk will be best for both baby and you - and well done for looking into it despite your family seeming to be all against you!

Breast milk is best for your baby because it contains all of the stuff that your baby needs - it's been designed by nature to nurture your little one right up until 6 months - It starts off with 'colostrum', and then goes through different types of milk adjusting to what your baby needs exactly. It also activates a gene, that is present in 9 out of 10 of us, which makes babies smarter - boosting their IQ by about 6 or 7 points!

Breast feeding is best for you because it releases hormones into the body, which help it to return to it's pre-pregnancy norm, tightening the uterus and burning baby-related fat. The other fat stores are also used to make breast milk so by expressing your milk you'll be loosing weight without needing to exercise (which, lets face it we won't have time for with a newborn to look after!). It also reduces the after-birth bleading, and delays the return to normal monthly periods - giving you a few months extra without the need for tampons or pads (yay!). The other benefit is, if you had small breasts before the pregnancy and have been enjoying your bigger ones, they stick around longer and stay fuller if you breast feed.

Your method of expressing and bottle feeding will give you both these benefits, and if you did decide to breast feed altogther, you don't have the hasstle of making bottles in the night and you have the added bonus of that 'bonding' thing - but I think you'll do great doing it your way and it's great that you are doing it your way as it is your baby!

Best of luck, and stick at what you decide!

Thank you! Your info helped a lot and I will stick with the breastfeeding thing, anything for the baby. I cant wait till she gets here. after reading what you have told me I'm thinking I might do the breast milk for a lot longer then I was thinking before...... I was going to work it down to half and half but now I will be doing more. I would however still like to have her taking some formula just because there might be times when I'm not around with my boobies and pump.:rofl:
I know Daddy will want some alone time with her and the rest of my family too.

Do you or any one else know if it would be safe for me to over pump and store a bottle or two in the fridge? Or should it only be done as its needed?

You can pump in advance and keep it in the fridge - but not for any longer than a day or two. It should be heated up before it's fed to the baby, too.

But if you're thinking about Daddy it would certainly be okay for you to express a couple of bottles to leave with him while he's enjoying some alone time with her.

The guidelines on feeding babies, in case you didn't know, are that they are fed on a milk-only diet for 6 months, with no solids at all until after that, when you can gradually move baby onto a milk and solids diet... So my advice would be to you to keep breastfeeding for at least 3 or 4 months. I think the idea of the odd formular bottle here or there is good, though if you plan on weining your LO onto that completey after a while - you dont want a fussy baby forcing you to breast feed forever! :p lol

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

[edit: Have you talked with your midwife about this? She will have lots of info for you and can answer all your questions, so when you think of them write them down and then at yer next antenatal, ask her! - It's what she's there for!]

Hi, you can store breastmilk in the fridge for 48 hours and you can freeze it for upto 3 months.

No, I didnt know how babies feed. Thanks for that info I think what I will do for at least the first 6 weeks do only breast milk and then maybe something like 75/25% breast/formula a day... or something like that I'm sure I will learn as I go.

I dont have a midwife they are illegal where I live, Funny huh?
We have had a lot of fakes, so I only get to see my Doctor. Who really just told me to breastfeed because its better for the baby and that was that.

Thank you girls so much you have been a huge help!

Thank you girls so much you have been a huge help!

Any time! I can't imagine not having a midwife to run to if I was worried about anything! ... if you have any more questions feel free to pm me :)

besides of your baby is getting anybodies with the breastmilk and will not be sick so often later in live :hi: another benefit for you is the reduced risk of breast cancer :hi:

Good for you to try and find out about it (breastfeeding). I loved breastfeeding my 3 and will do the same with number 4. Plenty of ladies on here who can advise you:hi:

My friend wanted to do what you arre doing an my midwife told me that it was basically pointless reason being you'll be too tired to pump all the time for each feed and that it was easier just to put baby to breast and that instead of getting up in the middle of the night making a feed (as you have to make fresh feeds as you go along coz of the bacteria) waiting for it too cool the baby would have had a feed and be sleeping by the time you make a bottle but you can try it if you want breastfeeding is hardwork very tiring but ive done it 3 times and loved it there are really good bottles when you want to change to bottle feeding they are called mam they are really good and good for colic

Good Luck hope that helps xxxx

Thanks for you info, but like I said I went thriugh something when I was younger and I would not be able to handle anything attached to my nipple so I will be doing like this because its better for me, I guess I will just have to deal with being sleepy..... its not like the father lets me sleep much anyways:rofl:

you can still give it a try to have the baby on the breast, as the feeling having the baby on the breast is completely different from all sensations on the nipple you have experienced before :hi:

if it feels not any good for you, you still can go for the pumping option

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"