Formula feeding support thread- Chat with other FF mums

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
So it is clear that many women may choose to FF or don't really have a choice and have to. I know when I started FF I felt kind of ashamed (although there is nothing to be ashamed of). So here is a place to chat about your worries/fears. Formula brand's etc. Enjoy :D
xx

Thanks for posting this hun :)

I def. don't feel ashamed to be planning to ff...it's my choice to make. I don't have any worries about it (mainly since I've been there/done that with my daughter).

That's a good thing, it took me ages to realise there is nothing to be ashamed of.

What formula will you be using for this Bub's? You decided yet?

You will be able to help the first time mums with your experiance :)
xx

Ah... I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief here! :haha:

I will definitely need help choosing a formula ... thats one huge downside to the push for more women to BF... I feel like there is NO info readily available on how to choose a formula!

Hmm on relection of what I fed Aidan, if I could choose again I would choose Aptamil over SMA. Are forumla's different in Canada?
x

Once you do decide on a brand make sure not to stock up to much, just in case your LO has some sort of sensitivity to it and you have to switch brands, I don't think stores will take formula back once it's been bought and I'd hate to waste the money!

Not sure if they have this in the States, but here in Canada you can get samples from a lot of the different companies, we did that and than chose which one we thought suited us best and went from there. Luckily Hannah never did have a problem with what we chose so we kept on with it :)

Also we just happened to chose one that had added Omega 3 & 6 (not all do), several months down the line after reading about the huge benefits of those added supplements I was really happy we'd gone with one that had it :)

After seeing the horrible things my milk did to my daughter I am no longer ashamed to be a future bottle feeder ;) I bottle fed her too once we finally found out it was an allergy.

I know it's not guaranteed the new baby will be allergic as well, but more than likely he/she will since it's genetic and I was allergic too. Not that it's the only reason I will FF.

We get WIC so I guess we will try whichever formula they allow (I think it's the Gerber ones). With my daughter she was on Similac Alimentum. It's a hypoallergenic formula. I am hoping the next baby doesn't have milk protein allergy b/c wow....that alimentum smells HORRIBLY...LOL ;)

And Vickie is right on not stocking up until you find what works. We went through about 5 formulas until realizing Alimentum helped our daughter. Also...not sure if it is like this everywhere...but our pediatrician has formula samples as well....and gives them out when you want to see if your LO will take to them.

Hmm on relection of what I fed Aidan, if I could choose again I would choose Aptamil over SMA. Are forumla's different in Canada?
x

I think they must be different everywhere. What are Aptamil or SMA? I imagine brands, but what is special about them (is it soy? or something differnet)?

Yeah really good advice about not stocking up.

Also have the guidelines changed for the prep of a bottle. I always get confused as Aidan no longer had FF. And when someone asks me I don't know what to say.
EDIT :Yeah they are brands hun. https://www.aptamil.co.uk/?utm_sour..._Converters&ppc=google-Top_Converters-aptamil. https://www.smanutrition.co.uk/Default.aspx?gclid=COyJ4ZyZ-aQCFcH42Aodkx4Lhw&ssl=true
xx

Once you do decide on a brand make sure not to stock up to much, just in case your LO has some sort of sensitivity to it and you have to switch brands, I don't think stores will take formula back once it's been bought and I'd hate to waste the money!

Not sure if they have this in the States, but here in Canada you can get samples from a lot of the different companies, we did that and than chose which one we thought suited us best and went from there. Luckily Hannah never did have a problem with what we chose so we kept on with it :)

Also we just happened to chose one that had added Omega 3 & 6 (not all do), several months down the line after reading about the huge benefits of those added supplements I was really happy we'd gone with one that had it :)

I didn't know about the Omega's. I mean I know they are good for adult health, I didn't know about them being in formula :) Which one did you choose that has that?

Ah, great advice on the samples!
My friends order their formula online from diapers.com ... if they spend $50 they get free next day delivery or something. I don't want to stock up but I don't want to run low and pay the worst possible price, hee.

I'll start looking for samples to try.

My friend said that the liquid is just a million times easier to use. I've only ever prepared bottles (when babysitting) with powder and didn't find it THAT hard.
Opinions?

Preparing a bottle is pretty easy. But I have been doing a night feed befopore and lost count of the number of scoops and had to start again. I was not impressed :rofl:. But Aidna didn't like the teat on the pre prepared bottles so making it up it was.

Also when I was put and about I got a bottle warming flask. So if he needed a bottle I would just pop it into the flask and it would warm it.
xx

does the flask plug in to something? Or is it pre-filled with hot water?

I think your night-time feeding confusion may be a good reason to use those portion dispensers, lol! I can just imagine my husband losing count and not realizing it or forgetting how many scoops... he could end up feeding our child watered down formula on accident. I think I need to buy a case of those portion thingies :rofl:

It's just pre filled with hot water hun. Although on some occasions (Aidan was born in winter) the water would be lukewarm when I came to use it, which could be a problem
x

Ah, great advice on the samples!
My friends order their formula online from diapers.com ... if they spend $50 they get free next day delivery or something. I don't want to stock up but I don't want to run low and pay the worst possible price, hee.

I'll start looking for samples to try.

My friend said that the liquid is just a million times easier to use. I've only ever prepared bottles (when babysitting) with powder and didn't find it THAT hard.
Opinions?

By liquid do you mean the ready to feed? I don't recommend it only because it would costs a FORTUNE in the long run. Making a bottle is actually really easy. If I had the money obviously ready feed is super easy :) Diapers.com is awesome! Also, look up amazon moms (may have to search it...not sure if putting a dot com takes you directly there). I use that for diapers and if they do formula too it would save a lot of money (when you pick a formula out that works). They automatically ship to your door at the increment you choose and you save a ton of $. I use it for diapers and pay $21 for 140 size 4 huggies :)

Oh, and with making a bottle...not sure what kinda bottles you are going to use...some are easier than others. I'm going to start with dr. browns because they helped my daughter so much. In the case of using those...I used to make a very small pitcher at a time (the little rubbermaid one...does 24 ounces or something?)...and would make a good chunk of it (based on how much she was eating at the time) and put it in the fridge. When I was ready to make a bottle I'd just have to shake it up and filll up the bottle then warm it. I did this b/c the dr. browns bottles can't be shaken up to mix the formula.

Wow...I just wrote too much...sorry :(

Yes I mean the ready-to-feed stuff. I thought it was horrendously expensive too and never found powder formula that hard to use. My friends are using Dr. Browns though so maybe thats why they find the liquid easier.

I hope my kid likes the playtex drop-ins. I've used them for years as a babysitter and my mom used them too. I love them, but I won't stock up because I know my LO will have their own opinion :haha:

Great tip on making up a batch! That will save on midnight counting of scoops too!
Any chance I can convince my baby that room-temp or cold bottles are just as good as warmed ones? :haha: (Wishful thinking)

Yes I mean the ready-to-feed stuff. I thought it was horrendously expensive too and never found powder formula that hard to use. My friends are using Dr. Browns though so maybe thats why they find the liquid easier.

I hope my kid likes the playtex drop-ins. I've used them for years as a babysitter and my mom used them too. I love them, but I won't stock up because I know my LO will have their own opinion :haha:

Great tip on making up a batch! That will save on midnight counting of scoops too!
Any chance I can convince my baby that room-temp or cold bottles are just as good as warmed ones? :haha: (Wishful thinking)

You can try. But you may have a protest on your hands, in the form of a good set of lungs :haha:
xx

any tips on keeping them from blasting your ears while you warm the bottle then? :)

oh, and I love cold food... any chance thats hereditary ;) ?

I used to sing to Aidan. Or distract him. Sometimes worked sometimes he nearly broke the sound barrier

We can only wish it is hereditary hey :D
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"