formula milk - uk ladies

ShirlWirl

Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning on breast feeding but want a tub of milk for 'just in case'.
When my sons were born the midwife told me Aptimil was the best (this was 8 years ago) - is this still the case?
Do you know what is the recommended choice or are they all the same? Is it ok to go for the cheapest brand? Is it basically trial and error to what your baby likes?

I've picked up Cow & Gate starter kit box.

No intention of using it but MW just said to get whatever. I don't like the idea that Apitimil has higher levels of fish oil in their formulation so chose against that.

My girl didn't get along well with the cow and gate but she was just fine with the Aptamil so that's what we had.

my first was lactose intolerant but i have bought the pre made sma bottles to keep just incase, but hoping not to use any this time :)

I find Aptamil the best all-rounder nutritionally, but you some babies have preferences :) xx

I definitely think when all said and done the lo's generally choose. Mine didnt get on with sma but were fine on c&g... who knows, this lo could be different lol

Had sma gold with my eldest and she was constantly sick on it, started off with sma gold for my youngest but changed her to aptamil because she kept being sick too. Aptamil seems to be the best for her and doesn't give her stomach ache either like sma gold did x

If you put a cow and gate and aptamil container side by side they're the same, they're made by the same company (danone) and contain the same ingredients, lol, so I would pick whatever you can get hold of the easiest!

Hipp organic was my choice. It's pretty good plus it's organic!! They are all up to standard nutritionally but Hipp uses organic milk which is personally very important to me.

I think it's best NOT to buy formula if you are planning on breast feeding as its easier to give up if you know what's in the cupboard. It's very hard in the early days but you've just got to keep going and using formula can ruin your supply.

When we moved from breastfeeding to formula, it was LO who chose for sure! We had to try out all different milks, and she choose SMA.

I agree with not having it "just in case". If I had it "just in case", I may have caved.

Yes please if you want to BF successfully do not buy any formula. If you have problems BF in the hospital then even hospitals who claim not to provide formula, will provide it-but most ladies I know who bought formula as a just in case ended up using it and it was really a slippery slope xx

I think the just in case scenarios are person specific. Saying "do not buy formula" is jumping the gun.

I am having a homebirth and don't have the luxury of having an other half to just 'nip out and buy some' so for me it's an essential 'just in case' item as the likelihood of be being alone after the birth is quite high therefore if I experience the worst case scenario and a MW recommends formula, I don't have to struggle myself to buy some. Also...people do have will power :thumbup:

my first didnt get on with aptimel so used cow and gate so thats what ive gone for this time

I breastfed until my DD decided to wean herself off my breast at 4 months old so I bought cow and gate and she was fine on it and used it right up until the growing up milk 1-2 years, I only just changed onto whole milk to reduce the costs in the week :flower:

I think the just in case scenarios are person specific. Saying "do not buy formula" is jumping the gun.

I am having a homebirth and don't have the luxury of having an other half to just 'nip out and buy some' so for me it's an essential 'just in case' item as the likelihood of be being alone after the birth is quite high therefore if I experience the worst case scenario and a MW recommends formula, I don't have to struggle myself to buy some. Also...people do have will power :thumbup:

To be fair most people are not in that situation most people have someone to nip to the shop for them (or would be giving birth in hospital or a birth centre). People do have willpower but at the same time it can be very easy to reach for the formula when BF is being particularly trying, it seeming to provide a solution to normal Newborn behaviour and then the mum feeling undermined and ends up supplementing with more and more formula. Or you get cases where the formula is in at home and a usually well meaning relative gives it when mum is resting to give her a break and it spirals from there. I am only speaking from personal experience somewhat. Xx

SR said everything I would have x

I chose to combine feed after a bad experience in hospital when a nurse actually shouted at me because LO's blood sugar was low (I'd not eaten for 4 days btw) I used cow and gate right up until 1-2 year old growing up milk as LO stopped BF'ing at 3 months. Then moved onto soy milk.

In your situation I would suggest getting the little carton's of formula in instead of a big tub. they're around 50p each and you can have a look at the different ingredients and try LO on the different ones and see which one they prefer without wasting an entire tub. Plus, if you've only got little carton's in, you'll be less inclined to completely give up BF'ing... It's a challenging process until you get into the groove with it and you and LO have it down, better your LO get's something rather than you having a breakdown because you just can't feed or they're being fussy. GOOD LUCK!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->