Frankie Boyle makes sick joke about Harvey Price

I like the bit about people getting offended for other's people's sake and playing devil's advocate.

Yes make jokes but I think bringing a disabled child into it, no matter who his mother is, is very wrong. I wouldn't be very pleased if people made sick jokes about my child and she's not got disibilities...

I dont find him funny, its all to close to the bone

I cant believe it passes for comedy tbh

I did watch it and the joke about Harvey raping his mother was terrible

Make fun of his mother by all means but not the child that's totally unnecessary and pointlessly cruel

I dont think there is any excuse to justify that joke.

HOWEVER my OH was saying thing with FB is he dont say things to intentionally be horrible and he dont target just disabled people etc... he makes sick jokes about a wide variety of things but at end of day dont think thats any excuess for a joke about an innocent child IMO

I like the bit about people getting offended for other's people's sake and playing devil's advocate.

i agree. i don't take offense to jokes, as they are just that. i can understand people thinking they're bad taste, but to actually take offense..? (i do think this was very bad taste, but worse than that, it wasn't even funny.. and without humour it's just cruel)

i think we live in a culture where we are constantly choosing to be offended.

i agree. i don't take offense to jokes, as they are just that. i can understand people thinking they're bad taste, but to actually take offense..? (i do think this was very bad taste, but worse than that, it wasn't even funny.. and without humour it's just cruel)

I totally agree with your last paragraph.

It's all about ratings as well, and publicity. People who didn't see the show know about the content now.

There will be people who did watch the first shows of this new series who won't watch anymore. But there will also be people who haven't watched so far who will now watch it just to see if he says anything else offensive. He wants to shock people.

I've never heard as many warnings before a show as C4 did before broadcasting it.

If you had a child who was disabled though I am pretty sure you would be offended by someone making 'jokes' about disabled children!

If you had a child who was disabled though I am pretty sure you would be offended by someone making 'jokes' about disabled children!

The thing is, though, he wasn't making jokes about disabled children. He made a joke about a child who happens to be disabled, if that makes sense. What I mean is, he wasn't making a joke about a particular disability, he was making a joke about Harvey and, like someone said before, the joke wasn't necessarily about his disability.
I don't want to upset anyone and I'm not trying to defend FB, I just think people tend to jump on the band wagon with thongs like this.
Obviously, if he was making a joke about MY child, I may feel offended, but I wasn't offended by the joke when I saw it coz that's what FB is like. I saw the warnings at the start of the show and still chose to watch it, so I kind if knew what to expect.

Even if Harvey wasnt disabled that joke still wouldnt be funny, when is rape funny

Even if Harvey wasnt disabled that joke still wouldnt be funny, when is rape funny

It isn't. And like I said before, I gasped when he said it, I didn't laugh. I was just making a point that the joke wasn't about disabilities.
Also, earlier on, you said you don't even think he's funny - so why watch the show and then be upset by the content?
I don't want to argue with you, I'm just wondering.

I wont be watching it again, it was cos my Oh wanted to watch it.
Give me Rhod Gilbert any day

I have seen it referred to as him making a joke about Harvey and his disabilities, when that wasn't the case.
This is why things get so twisted sometimes, it's almost like chinese whispers. The people who had literally watched the show would've known that instead of taking everything from the media.

I think for me, channel 4 were wrong to air this particular joke because unlike a lot of FBs jokes it singled out a vulnerable person for ridicule.
A lot of FB humour is close to the bone and might be construed as offensive but yes people can choose not to watch it. By broadcasting this particular jibe however Channel 4 has sent out the message that it condones the singling out of a child, by name on television in order to poke fun at him. It was exploitation, it wasn't funny (imo)and it wasn't even original.
Jmho.

The murdered children was a massive shock for me. But I wasn't offended.

Have just seen this also:

"C4 head of comedy Shane Allen said: “We are aware that Frankie Boyle’s comedy can be very challenging which is why we have gone to careful lengths in scrutinising the material editorially, in scheduling the series appropriately and by giving clear and strong warnings into each of the programmes.

“We think that it is important that a space on terrestrial TV exists for comedy that takes risks and pushes boundaries and we stand by our original decision to broadcast the programme.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->