freezable vegetarian meals

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
As of yesterday i am officially on maternity leave (little earlier than would have liked but family i worked for are moving this weekend!). Anyhow going to try and stock up freezer as best i can over next few weeks and wondered if anyone had any good vegetarian meals which can be frozen. Have nothing against using quorn products infact already have chili and bolognaise mixes done and in freezer just looking for something different dont think will want mince type meals every night!

Melanzane Parmigiana

Serves: 2
Ingredients

2 Aubergines (depending how hungry you are!)
1 tbsp olive oil
Frylight or 0.5 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cans chopped tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Lemon
Fresh basil
Cheddar Cheese (about 100g) - grated
Parmesan (about 20g) - grated
Pinch of sugar
Salt & Pepper
Method

Put the chopped tomatoes in a pan on medium heat and add 1tbsp oil, the juice of one lemon, the garlic cloves and some torn fresh basil with a pinch of sugar. Cover and simmer for 30mins.

Trim the aubergines and cut lengthways into thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30mins (so do it alongside the sauce for ease).

Preheat the oven to 200 deg celsius/400f/GM6

Then rinse the aubergine slices, drain, and pat dry on paper towels.

Brush the aubergines with oil or frylight on both sides and place on baking tray(s) and roast them in the oven for 10mins on each side. Whilst this is going on, take the lid off your sauce, season it, and allow it to simmer for 20mins (so again you can do this alongside the aubergines).

Then get two individual lasagne dishes and spoon some sauce into the dish. Place a piece of aubergine on top of this, then some grated cheese, then more sauce. Keep layering sauce/aubergine/cheese until you get to the last piece of aubergine which you then just top with some parmesan.

Place in the oven for 30mins or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.

Alternatively, you can use a medium lasagne dish and put both aubergines in it and layer them in whatever way works (e.g. 2 slices alongside each other) and then serve on plates. The thing I love about this dish is that it's easy to make more or less for the number of people and either do in individual dishes, or like a big bake that you can then split between people. You can also easily alter it to your preference. For example, Sam and I have it every Friday night and I do us 3 aubergines and 3 cans of tomatoes instead of 2, and we add more garlic and basil. You can just tweak it to your preference

------------------------

You could do a chilli with beef style pieces instead of mince.
Lasagne is a good one, I don't have a recipe as I'm not a fan but you could just mix some chopped veg with chopped tomatoes and layer it with pasta sheets & white sauce.

I struggled with this too & found it easier just to make stuff, like we'd just throw on some veggie burgers & OH would make some chips to go with it.

Soups are good as you can eat them with one hand. Oh and pasta bake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->