Friendly thread -Why did you choose to FF?

My son was tongue tied and never once latched properly. I also had very low iron levels after giving birth and had a have a blood transfusion. I was SO exhausted (my labour was over 36 hours) that I just wanted to sleep and recover a bit, so I gave him formula in the hospital just to have a break from the latching issues really and get a bit of rest. I then carried on mixed feeding for a bit as it meant others could feed him whilst I slept. I think often it's not a choice to FF -rather a series of circumstances that lead you to it. If I had had an easier time, wasn't so tired and anemic and he hadn't had been tongue tied then I might have percervered with BF more. As it was, I just didn't have the energy at the time.

my son just would not latch. i had alot of support, and attended a fabulous breast feeding masterclass when i was about 37wks. i had about 6 different health professionals trying all the tricks they'd learnt over the years but he didn't want to know. after his 1st 2 days with absolutely nothing from me and the midwives starting to test his blood sugar levels and getting worried i tried him with a bottle to see what he'd do. he downed the whole thing in a matter of minutes and we never looked back.

i might try with this baby for a few days to get the colostrum but now i have a new problem that i think will stop me. since having my son my nipples have become uber sensitive. i can't bare for them to be touched, even putting on my bra is horrible. it's a bit like when someone touches your feet and you immediately pull away. i don't want to dread feeding my baby, that will not be a good way to bond.

you know what i just think there is so much pressure to BF nowadays that the reality of BF and it difficultys are really not explained. I had tons of BF support my midwifes were like cheerleaders when i expressed that i really wanted to BF. But yet i ended up still FF. I get so frustrated with all the literature and photos about how "natural" and lovely BF is and to be told over and over again that its so much better than formula, that you bond so much better - the overwhelming feeling is that if its so natural then its easy. And i think as evidenced from this thread its not easy its damn hard, Then if you give up and formula feed a lot of midwives and women (who also have struggled and managed to get over their BF issues) seem to dismiss your issues as not trying hard enough and seem to think that its a "choice" to FF when in most cases FF is used as a last resort. Maybe im being a bit sensitive or seeing judgement when there is none - my inability to BF still bothers me. I just wish that "failure" wasn't automatically associated with FF.

you know what i just think there is so much pressure to BF nowadays that the reality of BF and it difficultys are really not explained. I had tons of BF support my midwifes were like cheerleaders when i expressed that i really wanted to BF. But yet i ended up still FF. I get so frustrated with all the literature and photos about how "natural" and lovely BF is and to be told over and over again that its so much better than formula, that you bond so much better - the overwhelming feeling is that if its so natural then its easy. And i think as evidenced from this thread its not easy its damn hard, Then if you give up and formula feed a lot of midwives and women (who also have struggled and managed to get over their BF issues) seem to dismiss your issues as not trying hard enough and seem to think that its a "choice" to FF when in most cases FF is used as a last resort. Maybe im being a bit sensitive or seeing judgement when there is none - my inability to BF still bothers me. I just wish that "failure" wasn't automatically associated with FF.

I agree...
I feel looked down upon as not a good mother because I'm not breastfeeding.
It's not fair. For any reason... Just because a mother doesn't breastfeed doesn't mean she doesn't care.. doesn't mean she's not totally completely in love with and bonded to their child.. and it doesn't mean their child isn't healthy either..

It's a choice.
Just as many things are.
I feel more bonded to my daughter formula feeding than I did trying to breastfeed.
I do other things to optimize her health.

I know I wasn't prepared for how hard it was going to be! I don't know... I just thought that the most "natural thing on earth" would be just that - natural. If anything I think there needs to be more information that yes, it IS hard to do.

I kept feeling like because it was so hard that I was doing something wrong. :shrug: Well, that and post partum depression didn't help my cause either. I made the best decision for my daughter at the time, but looking back I wonder that if I had been better prepared for how it was going to be I might've done it longer.

There is a definite lack of support, understanding and information out there for moms struggling with breastfeeding. I had it very easy and it was still worrisome. I had to express because I was worried about her intake (she needed to eat to help her jaundice) and she had such a lazy latch at night due to being so sleeping from the jaundice I had to express and give her a bottle through the night, then continue to express to keep up supply etc...

If it weren't for babyandbump and all the lovely ladies on here and some who aren't on here anymore, I don't know how I would have got through my anxiety and worry!

I don't think it matters how someone chooses to feed their baby. They're getting fed, right? Then what's it matter to someone else? :shrug:

This is probably something you rarely hear but I decided to EFF DD2 from the start even after EBF DD1.

I didnt have any problems with BF DD1. She fed like a dream.....but about 10 times a day for 45 mins at a time, and wouldnt even consider dropping a BF until well after weaning was established. This inevitably lead to co-sleeping, not being able to get out and about very often and not even being able to be left with Dad without me (tried expressing after the recommended 6 weeks to avoid "nipple confusion" but was too late by then and there was no way she would accept anything but boob).
Now dont get me wrong I didnt really mind any of this and really did enjoy BF.

When I found out I was expecting DD2, DD1 was 18 months old, still co-sleeping and having a nightly BF. We decided to gradually get her out of these habbits and she was finally off the boob and sleeping in her own bed by 23 months.

This experience made me really question how the hell I would manage to BF DD2 without it having a huge effect on DD1 by limiting the time I could give her greatly. It would also effect me being able to take her to all her clubs, Ms and Ts and Tumble tots etc, as it would mean no-one else could watch DD2 and unlike many people I have huge admiration for, I simply cannot get my boobs out anywhere and everywhere and NIP.
In the end after a huge mental battle with myself, but with great support from hubby and family, I decided it would be best for our family to FF DD2, and I do not for one moment regret my decision, I know it was right for us. DD2 is a really happy, healthy and beautiful baby, and that would be no different if she were BF.
I know alot of women who BF all their kids, and I know people will say "well you could have managed it if you did this, this and this", but everyone has their own individual situation and people should be respectful of this xxx

^^i get what you mean. i bf my LO but if i had another i cannot imagine how it would work, i would probably bf the colostrum then move to ff

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->