Frustrated, 32 and WTT for #1

CaliFrog

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am so frustrated. I just turned 32. Last week, I had a interview for a teaching position that went very well. DH and I were excited and started looking at larger apts. Yesterday I found out that I didn't get the job, because I am too friendly and calm. The interviewers are afraid I can't control the classroom. I can understand this. I have some teaching experience. All at different levels and usually with another teacher sitting in the back of the classroom. I could read a million books about teaching, but it isn't worth anything, if I never step in front of a class. If no one gives me the chance to control a classroom, I can't.

My student loan total is overwhelming. Unless I get a job, I can't imagine when we will able to afford a larger apt or a baby. Many people I know are pregnant, just had a baby, or have children. We don't have a a date when we will start TTC since I need to find a job, so we can save money.

I know I have some time, but I hear the clock ticking.

That's awful, if they say you are calm isn't that exactly what's needed to 'control' a classroom, and if you are friendly and doing the job right they would behave anyway, sounds like a lame excuse to me!!! Sorry you didn't get it. Hope you manage to find something soon so you can start ttc :hugs:

Sorry that sounds rubbish :(

Perhaps you could sign up to do some supply work with an agency? Or a temporary position? Just to get your foot in the door? I work in education, straight out of uni i applied for a temporary position to cover someone else's maternity leave - it was only for a year but it gave me the opportunity to prove myself and when i applied for a permanent position they already knew that i could do the job.

Good luck for your job hunting :D xxx

Hi Cali, I know what you mean about clock ticking I'm in my 30s and wtt likely til start of next year. Yea perhaps a temp job might be best to prove yourself, hope something comes up soon so you can start saving

sorry you didnt get the job, but keep trying! i agree with PPs though temp work sounds like a good option for you in the meantime

try not to worry though, a year is not really a long time to wait in terms of TTC (even though it does feel like a lifetime!) but in terms of looking for a job, you have ages!
good luck x

Where are you based? Don't you need formal training to do teaching?

I'm a teacher too, I qualified in 2013 and where I stay you are guaranteed a year long paid placement (you are paid £22,000 as well so it is pretty generous for a trainee position!) after Uni, you then have to find a job yourself. My year finished in June - there was 54 applicants, 12 people selected for interview and only 4 posts available. Teaching is so competitive! I'm now doing supply teaching, I haven't been out of work at all since qualifying and I was lucky enough to get a long term sick, I was then offered a long term supply until the post is advertised in another school. I'm pretty confident I will get the job, but in the past it has been really disheartening to have constant rejection.

We are also having to wait until I get a permanent job, but it will happen in time. Can you contact a school which you have links to and ask for experience?

Hi, I'm a teacher too. As pp have said, best advice I can give you is go into supply, many teachers I know ended up on permanent contracts through that. You can keep applying in the meantime too. Best of luck to you dear

Thank you for all the supportive messages.

I have a California teaching credential to teach German as a foreign language. In 2013 I moved to Germany to live with my husband. I hope to teach English. Since last March I have been waiting for my degrees and credential to be acknowledged in Germany. It is a different school system and I may have to go back to school. However, I met another American, who is currently working in the German public school system (without the acknowledgment or taking additional coursework), so I know it is possible.

I asked to do observations at the school. This will give me a look into their classrooms as well as build some rapport with the teachers. I'll look into substituting.

Is anyone is in a similar situation and wants to be waiting buddies? We will probably be waiting until at least spring 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->