FTM'S: My list of things I wish I had been told

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
When I was in third tri, there was a thread from a new mama about things she wish she knew before she had her baby. My DS is almost 2 months old and I thought I would post a thread for you ladies xo
1. The "jetlag". I remember my midwives telling me a lot of babies are born with "jetlag". For the first two weeks I felt like I had everything under control. He slept through (basically, only waking a maximum of three times, then straight back to sleep). He was an amazing sleeper during the day and hardly ever fussed. Then I hit 3 weeks and I swear I had a different baby. If this happens to you, don't worry. It's not something you have done. Trust me xo It does get better.
2. The lack of sleep. Everyone knows that when you have a baby, sleep deprivation is that new annoying friend who just won't leave! There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself but again, it does get better.
3. Sleep issues continued. Let your house go for a little bit. If LO is asleep and there is washing or dishes to do leave them. Sleep, don't feel bad. Take that time.
4. It's ok to look after yourself. I went through a phase (if I'm honest with myself I'm still in it), where I let myself fall to the wayside. I wouldn't shower for days on end. Stayed in the same clothes. Forgot to brush me teeth, forgot to eat. Basically stopped looking after yourself. It's ok to go and have a shower, do your hair, heck put a bit of makeup on if that makes you feel better. Don't forget to look after yourself. You will find the time.
5. If LO is awake, you don't have to be holding them the whole time. If there are things you really need to get done (like that bathroom trip you've been putting off for the last three feeds) and LO is awake, it's ok to leave them for a few minutes. As long as they have a clean bum, are fed and burped, it's ok to let them watch the curtains move (my DS's favourite). You don't have to constantly be making silly faces and talking like a crazy woman just because they're awake.
6. Don't get down on your body. You're in pain, feel like your lady bits are the size of a watermelon, your stomach is all wobby and you still look like you're in your third trimester. Birth is quite an intense process on your body. You'll be surprised at how quickly you start feeling better. At the time, it feels like forever but once you look back and you think about what you've just been through, you do bounce back pretty quickly, all things considered.
7 And most importantly, don't be afraid to ask for help. Even if it's just someone to watch LO while you have a shower, catch some shut eye, whatever it is. It's ok. You haven't failed as a mother :hugs: Baby blues are normal but if you keep feeling down, don't be afraid to talk to someone. PND is debilatating. Look out for the signs. You cannot give yourself to LO if you're mental health is going down the tubes.
Becoming a mother is a magical and amazing experience. Although hard at times, every second is worth it. There is nothing on the planet that can compare to the love you have for your child :hugs:
You're almost there mummies

I'm not a FTM, but this is a great list. We need to help look out for each other. 😊

I'm not a ftm either but this is beautifuly written and agree every ftm should read.

Great list.

Hope you don't mind but I would add that having a newborn can be incredibly stressful. This goes hand in hand with asking for help. There will be times that your baby will cry no matter what you do. Even after being fed, changed, walked, rocked, etc. I beat myself up pretty badly when that happened to me. Felt like a bad mommy for not being able to comfort my son. Handing our baby over to DH and seeing the baby quiet with him oddly enough hurt me emotionally. It was strange. I didn't expect to feel that way. But I felt like a failure and shed many tears about it. Just know that it is okay to not have all the answers. Mommy instinct and research only goes so far. This is a learning experience for everyone, including your baby. It gets easier eventually. :hugs:

What are you doing to this hormonal woman here!? Brought a tear to my eye reading this :haha:

Lovely little post. I'm not a FTM but this is fab and so, SO true!

:hugs:

It's been 2 months already?! Where does time go?!
Thank you for this <3

Mwah xox, yes Nina, two whole months!! It's crazy isn't it? :')
Lady slipper, I still find that hard to deal with. Getting there though. It's all a learning curve :)
Ohh, thought I might add too since OH and I have this problem a lot.
8. OH that are at work all day. When OH wants to snuggle LO when he gets home (Leo has usually only just woken up) and he cries, don't be afraid to say that he needs to be fed. Don't feel like you're stealing him away, or being selfish. Not too sure if you ladies will have this problem but I've found it very hard to get over feeling guilty about it. Even if LO only had a feed five minutes ago xo

I would add... There will be many times, especially in the first couple of weeks where you just want to or do actually burst into tears. It's ok. Just let it all out and take a few deep breaths. It's such a shock to the system and sometimes we just need to vent.

Oh I'm totally with you on the tears, I found myself crying at everything for the first few days.

Totally normal x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->