full fat milk for 6 months old?

1st_baby

So my MIL came over today and was talking about her kids never drank formula ..they didnt have money so she used full fat milk from day 1 and they came ok and so on..

She is pushing me to try 3.25% milk on max and says it wont harm him ? is this true ? she said the rule of thumb is once they eat solids including meat and they do ok with that then you can give full fat milk ..I do give him yougurt and it dose not hurt his tummy ..

I'm tempted to try it out but if i do will it hurt him real bad ? or mabey just an upset tummy (not that i want that either)sorry i know ill get yelled at for wanting to try but so far shes been right

I thought id ask my mentors first lol:dohh:

Why would you want to try it? What's the point? It's more expensive and could do harm?

It's not more expensive here, $5 for a gallon of milk; $20 for colton's formula (a can lasts 1.5-2 days).

I've never tried it though. I dont even know when to start.

Using Cows Milk this early is a no no, YOu can add it to cereal, and use it to mix other foods at 6 months but not as a drink x

I know that you can have full fat milk when in food or on cereal, but I always thought that as a stand alone drink it was not recommended til one as the digestive system in less than 1 year olds has trouble digesting it. I would not risk it if I were you.

Using Cows Milk this early is a no no, YOu can add it to cereal, and use it to mix other foods at 6 months but not as a drink x

thanx ill do the mixing but why cant they drink it alone ? sorry :)

oh the post above me got about the milk added to stuff. lol :) Too slow! lol

I would not recommend mixing them , it isn't worth it to be honest. If he is happy on formula I would leave it with that. :) I have heard of people when their kid is one mixing them and gradually fazing out formula milk but that is because the baby was addicted to formula, lol.

It's not a digestion problem - it just doesn't contain all the nutrients that they need, including iron, which they will get from formula or breast milk.

So he probably wouldn't have any reaction to you giving it to him as a drink and using it in cooking (cereal etc) isn't a problem but you still need to give him formula until he's 1 x

I hate MIL she always dose this leaves me with so many dam questions ..Id love to try him on milk for sure ..what if I were to give him cows milk at night and formula during the day or mabey one bottle in the am and one in the pm the rest would be formula ?

oh man im a confused :(

It's not a digestion problem - it just doesn't contain all the nutrients that they need, including iron, which they will get from formula or breast milk.

So he probably wouldn't have any reaction to you giving it to him as a drink and using it in cooking (cereal etc) isn't a problem but you still need to give him formula until he's 1 x

Midwives and health visitors and books I have read have said is is too hard to digest? I know another reason is the nutrients, but I have heard that about digestion . . . :(

Why do you want to give it to him? As long as he's getting the recommended minimum amount of formula there's no harm in letting him taste it though x

Midwives and health visitors and books I have read have said is is too hard to digest? I know another reason is the nutrients, but I have heard that about digestion . . . :(

Oh, I didn't know that - sorry! I thought as they could have it in food, and dairy products like cheese, yogurt etc the digestion wasn't a problem but it was just because they needed more than the nutrients it has in it x

From food standards agency...

Cows' milk is not suitable as a drink until a baby is a year old because it contains too much salt and protein, and not enough iron and other nutrients, to meet your baby's needs.

Didn't know about the salt either x

Oh, I didn't know that - sorry! I thought as they could have it in food, and dairy products like cheese, yogurt etc the digestion wasn't a problem but it was just because they needed more than the nutrients it has in it x

I know, I would have thought so, too. Contradicts itself a bit, doesn't it? Lol. Didn't know that about the salt either . . .

why try it when formula is nutritionally superior to cows milk?? 12 months is when they can drink cows milk as a main drink, u can only add it to recipies before then.

I hate MIL she always dose this leaves me with so many dam questions ..Id love to try him on milk for sure ..what if I were to give him cows milk at night and formula during the day or mabey one bottle in the am and one in the pm the rest would be formula ?

oh man im a confused :(

Don't be confused

I would probably advise that you stick with formula, mix with his food at 6months and maybe if you feel like it let him have a taste at 10 ish months, but still keep him on his formula. maybe at 10months let him try at as a drink , like you would give him water or juice, keep his formula the same and the change him over to cows milk at 12months or maybe a couple of weeks earlier if you feel like it, It doesn't have to be on his birthday if you get me x

ty girls ure all awsome ..i think im gonna hold out on milk for now no need to rush him growing up right lol

Cow's milk is more specific to a baby cow than a baby human. Cow's milk formula is based on cow's milk but has been engineered to be closer to human milk (still a ways off, but closer). Many infants still have problems with cow's milk formula (allergies, GI problems, etc.). Babies who are exposed to cow's milk before their first birthday are more likely to be anemic, have diarrhea or vomiting, and/or experience an allergic reaction (the proteins in milk are more numerous than those in other milk products, such as the yogurt). The excessive protein load in cow's milk can also overload a baby's kidneys. It is deficient in vitamins C, E, and copper. It is harder to digest as well, often causing intestinal blood loss. A number of studies have also indicated that early introduction of cow's milk may contribute to the development of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements.html
:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->