Fundal height measuring behind - anyone else?

x Helen x

Reaction score
Went for my 28 week midwife appointment today and my fundal height is only measuring 24cm. I have been referred to a consultant to follow up with a growth scan but the appointment is not until next week so hoping you ladies can put my mind at rest with your experiences in the meantime!

I'm not overly worried as I've heard that fundal height measuring isn't always accurate, but I never had this when pregnant with my daughter so it's all new to me! I'm definitely visibly smaller this time round than I was in my previous pregnancy.

I wouldn't worry about this at all, at my 28 week appointment I was measuring 26 weeks. I had a scan at 30 weeks and using babies actual measurements I was showing as 32 weeks. I think things can change really quickly at this stage xxxx

My fundal height is different depending on who is measuring. I had mw app at 31 weeks and she measured me spot on for dates, then 4 days later ended up in pregnancy assessment due to fainting at work and i was measuring nearly 3cm over! So I no longer put much faith in it to be honest. Last pregnancy I measured under or exact to dates and had a baby on the large side (8lb 12.5oz born on due date).
I'm sure your scan will reassure you hun xx

I really don't think it is very accurate. Facts can change it like how baby is positioned or who measures you. Mine has gradually become smaller than my weeks but I already have growth scans and know so far that everything has been fine.

Try not to worry xxx

I wouldn't worry too much hun, just wait until you see the consultant and get your growth scan :) I never did measure behind but have measured ahead with both pregnancies. Ended up with a low birth weight baby the first time (was told she'd be huge from the FH measurements!) and second baby was confirmed an ever age size at my growth scan and she came out average size too!

Fundal measurement is useful to track growth rather than actual size. I measure a bit small and have two occasions where I've had stagnant growth most recently measuring 35cm at 38wks. I've always caught right back up the next time but its good that you're being checked. Fundal measurement isn't very accurate though as your baby's position, your torso and the person measuring you can all affect the result

I wouldnt worry... My LO was measuring behind... She was just a little baby... She was perfect and healthy at burth.. She was born at almost 39 weeks.. Six pounds and the dr thought she was measuring behind at every pre natal appointment.. Im sure your LO will be perfect too. Dont worry too much..

I've always measured about 2cm behind in both pregnancies. My LO was born 7lb4oz at 39 weeks so she would have been a good size if I'd gone any further! A 4d scan at 27 weeks shows that this baby is following a really similar growth pattern so I'm not expecting a particularly small baby even though I'm sick to death with people commenting on how tiny my bump is. I think ALOT of things can affect fundal height so don't worry too much :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->