Funny story - OBs student is a joke

mummof1

Reaction score
Wow ladies ... My appointment today was so comical !
I basically did my own check up hahaha!
My OBs student came into the room without my OB, asked some basic questions which was fine then he said lets see if we can find the heartbeat (I'm thinking k I'm over 14 weeks you're going to find it ?)
Anyway he starts the Doppler and picks up MY heartbeat and says something about it being 92 and it's still early so babies won't be in the 110s yet. ! WTF ? Lmao !
I'm like ya that's my heartbeat actually.
Then he moves it and picks up that echoey pulse sound from the placenta and I'm like nope that's still not it .. I'm like can I just do it ? LOL he's like ya sure . I find it right away and he goes oh wow ! Ya it sounds so different it's picking up 140 I'm like yep that's cause it's babies heartbeat .

Then he asked if I had any questions or concerns and I don't so he said I could leave , I had to get back to work anyway so I left .

I felt so obligated to tell my OB so I called after and told her and she said he did tell her that I was the one who found it and she went in to re - do it but I had already left.

After talking to two friends of mine that have her , they also had horrible experience with this guy he couldn't find my friends baby's heartbeat at 34 weeks and with my other friend who was 14 weeks he tried to find it way above her belly button LOL the other friend also said she overheard him complaining to the ladies up front that he was hung over one morning and he left!

Just thought I would share with you ladies . Hope he doesn't become a real doctor , I have no idea how he got this far!!!

Lol I would have called for the real doctor!!! I understand he is just a student but come on! She was having him do some basic things lol

Lol it was so bad !!! She needs to aways be there with him because he's making himself look like an idiot.
If it was my first pregnancy I would have been so confused lol

That is ridiculous! I can't believe a doctor would allow someone who knew so little to be alone with patients. Luckily, you knew what you were doing ;)

Lol it was so bad !!! She needs to aways be there with him because he's making himself look like an idiot.
If it was my first pregnancy I would have been so confused lol

LOL or panicked and thought the worse ... Im also wondering how he got this far :blush:

Right ??? He's CLUELESS! I'm definitlely going to say no when they ask me next time if I'm okay with a student lol

I've actually had some LD nurses not be able to find baby's hb and I took Doppler and was able to located it based on where I usually find it. It's not that uncommon for a student... He's not a resident or dr yet so I'm not surprised. Not sure why your OBGYN would let him try on her patients without her being present ... That would annoy me too. Poor kid sounds like he didn't have a clue lol

Hahaa that made me Lol! I wouldve said 'ok Dougy Howser gime the real Dr' LOL

Lol it wouldn't have been that bad if he just had trouble finding the heartbeat but the comments he made made NO sense lol
I felt like it was a joke lol

It did make me giggle but students here would always be with someone qualified lol x

Aw poor guy. Students have to learn but it's odd that he was in charge of your whole appt and you never saw the doctor? I'm in medical school and I often go see patients by myself to do a basic history and physical, however afterward I go back and present the information to the doctor and then we finish the exam together.

I happen to be quite good at finding fetal heart tones but I always tell expectant mamas not to worry if I can't find it easily because I'm still a student. On a side note, there's nothing more frustrating than hunting around for the heartbeat for ages without finding it and then coming back in with your preceptor who finds it the moment s/he puts the probe on the belly :dohh: You just know that little peanut was hiding the first time!

And don't you find his comments really concerning lol!
I figure if he's gotten this far he should at least know the right range for fetal heart rate and trying to find my friends baby's heart rate way above her belly button ? Lol I don't think he's taking it too seriously esp since he was talking about being hungover one morning!
I did find it so strange that my OB didn't even come in at all, maybe if she was there she could have guided him a little lol

What a doorknob! :haha: every student encounter I've had there was my MW present. Thankfully, an experience like that would put me at a new clinic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->