Fussy OH

mizzk

=]
Reaction score
Hi! Would just like a little moan about my fiance' who is a rather fussy eater. There are a lot of foods he doesn't like, a lot he won't even try, and a lot he says he doesn't like when he hasn't even tried!! I sometimes have to make us seperate meals cos hes fussy and wont eat the same as me (I made us a lovely casserole that took 2 1/2 hours in oven other day, which i then hadta pick out all his onions by hand cos he decided he didnt like them!! wasn't amused lol) Anyways was thinking that when i do have children i so hope to god they don't take on their daddy's habits! Has anyone else got a fussy eating other half lol and what would you do if your children were the same? I don't wanna havta be a mam that hides the peas in the mash potata kinda mam lol :rofl:
Thanks girlies! x

My Oh used to reluctant to try different things but i worked it out of him by basically not doing stupid things like picking out onions that just makes them worse now he eats all sorts i dont do fussy eaters it's just an excuse for a bit of extra attention.

I'm a fussy eater and I used to be a lot like what you describe your OH. I have just started making food and eating it, simple as that. I'm still fussy but will give things a go because my health has suffered as a result of my fussy eating. I now have a bill for my dentist for £1700 because I eat such bad food.

The problem I belive stemmed from the way I was brought up. If I didn't like something then my parents would make me something else to eat, whereas I think I should have been made to eat them. I will be making my child finish their food and if they won't finish it then it's their own fault they are hungry. That might come across as mean but it will be beneficial in that they will get all the vitamins etc plus they won't be spoiled like I was!!

Hope that helps. Just make him eat the food. If he doesn't like what you make then he can make something himself. Don't do something as demeaning as picking out bits of onions from your food.

Tell him to shove it

Yea i think next time he doesn't like something he can deal with it himself! I think i will try ignoring his "i don't likes!"

I wasnt alowed to be fussy, if i generaly dident like someting like sprouts my mam would not give me then but if i was just being fussy i could leave it but id go hungry.
I would refuse to cook for him unless he atleast tryed it. If he dosent like it then he can cook is own tea.

I wasnt allowed to be fussy when I was younger, we didnt have enough money to buy "Branded" Foods, I remember only being allowed to leave Peppers and Broad Beans because they did make my physically sick lol.
Funnily enough i love Peppers now, but still hate Broad Beans lol.
Get him to try things bit by bit, maybe try doing the blindfold test (have seen it on TV, there is a program for fussy eaters) get him to eat without looking at the food, sometimes that can be a big issue.
Hope you work something out :) x

My OH isn't exactly the same but he is fussy. If I tell him I'm going to cook something different then he'll say "eugh no, don't like it", but if I just make it and hand it to him on a plate he will always eat it and usually say, "mmm that was nice" or "not my favourite".

Some things are easier because we both don't like them. i.e. seafood and mushrooms. But most of the time when he says he doesn't like something it just means he hasn't tried it. And if I cook it and he doesn't like it then he can go and make something else and I will just sulk for the rest of the evening. :rofl:

it's just an excuse for a bit of extra attention.
It's really not. I'm a fussy eater and it can be quite embarrasing! I just don't like a lot of food.

I really hope my children don't take after me in that respect. My husband is great with food so I hope they follow his example.

My mum blames my fussy eating on the child minder I had as a kid. She contantly forced me to eat food I didn't like. Making me wary to try anything new. I'm getting better as I get older though.

I am a very fussy eater myself and we have agreed LO will be brought up on much more variety than I eat.

However its not an attention thing. I sometimes physically cannot make myself eat something i dont like. And besides food is for enjoyment, why force yourself to eat something you dont enjoy!

However you shouldnt have to pick things out the food - let him do what he wants and choose what he wants. i wouldnt expect OH to do that for me!

did u marry my DH and not tell me?? :laugh2: Mine has a short list of foods (if you can call it food.. i call it garbage) that he eats. It consists of pizza, nachos, chicken wings, speghetti and steak. No veggies no fruit - nothing that resembles anything healthy.

Im actually a little worried his :spermy: are gonna be damaged or not healthy enough... gonna have to start sneaking vitamin drops in his dinner. :laugh2:

I am forever making 2 meals for us... or at least adding some veggies to my plate.

I just remembered something that my mom hung in our kitchen. It is a little sign that says this:

"You have two choices for dinner--Take it or Leave it!"

I'll be making my own sign for my new kitchen when we move...

Lol...wow you women are a lot nicer than me! I hardly ever cook for him...more likely him that cooks for me, or we'll cook together. But if I did cook for him and he didn't want it...or asked me too pick something out...I'd tell him where to go and how to get there! lol. I certainly wouldn't do it for him. It's like you already have one big kid. I would say your kids will definitely pick up some of those habits if you don't nip it in the bud!

It consists of pizza, nachos, chicken wings, speghetti and steak. No veggies no fruit - nothing that resembles anything healthy.

Im actually a little worried his :spermy: are gonna be damaged or not healthy enough... gonna have to start sneaking vitamin drops in his dinner. :laugh2:

Your message got my worried. Check "Scurvy" on the internet and you'll see it's a desease that can be cured easily but can be fatal if not treated. All because of not eating fruit and veg like sailors in olden days... Your DH is going to far with his eating habbits!!

I also beleive we can like almost anything, I am proof. When I was a baby I got allergic to milk and as I was ill for a while I just wouldn't eat. My mum didn't give up and kept feeding me, even if it was only a little of what I didn't like and increased the amount as time went by. Now I eat almos everything, like mosts foods and my DH actually hates asking for my opinion because I always say "I like it"... He says my opinion doesn't count because I like everything.

Definately picking part of the dinner out of the plate or cooking something else isn't the solution.

I'm a fussy eater :blush:

Everyone always tells me I have to grow up so that my child will eat a variety of foods, rather than following my example. Honestly some things are so gross though that I don't care if she doesn't eat them, I wouldn't blame her at all LOL.

I so wish he wasn't fussy, he does eat quite healthily saying that cos hes into his gym and sports but its just the range of foods he will eat are so little and when i do the shopping i hate just buying the same old same old! I am defo making that take it or leave it sign!!! Anyone got a hammer? :p

i am quite lucky in that my DP will eat most things, except any green veg, he hates green veg! but I have told him that when we have a baby he WILL eat his green veg and he WILL like it infront of baby so baby doesn't pick up his dislike and take them on hehe. Also i am a little mean, because if I make soomething and he doesn't eat it then he has to make something else for himself so he eats what i make so he doesn't have to cook for himself hehe

That's not being mean, it's being practical. There is a point where you realise we can't just eat what we like, we have to force ourselves to accept fruit and veg. Of course ready made and junk food is the best, it has special ingredients to make you crave it and make it tastier than anything. Have you ever heard of someone craving carrots? Or chicken? No, it's usually biscuits, chocolate, ice-cream, pizza and McD's... Of course I amd not the number one fan of veg but I've picked a big amount I can eat without twisting my mouth and learnt to like them and cook them in tasty ways. Salad also accepts variations, you can add tuna fish, salmon, avocado now and again(so expensive), nuts, cheese, ham... Your imagination is the limit. Same with fruit, you can do it into a juice, do a fruit salad with nuts or other addings and it makes it more exciting. DH loves fruit with condensed milk (It's really sweet and tasty) and I like a bowl of fruit with orange juice and a ball of ice-cream too. It's all about knowing we are lucky we can choose what to eat, and therefor can choose good quality for our stomachs... I want to enfasize: YOU REALLY DO GET TO LIKE IT, OR AT LEAST ACCEPT IT. Just learn different recipes, uses sauces and adapt to the taste in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->