gallbladder surgery while pregnant???

catmummyof4

Reaction score
Has anyone else had their gallbladder removed while still pregnant?? Im 27 weeks and surgeons cant decide what to do with me i hav a stone and in soooo much pain i can barely eat. On constant antisickness codydramol antibiotics buscopan and oramorph when i really need it. One says stay on meds (but im facing withdrawal with the baby and myself) one is now thinking surgery. I would like to know as much as possible the gooa and BAD outcomes so i can try make a decision and c what they say many thanks x

I didn't have mines out whilst pregnant but had multiple attacks so can totally sympathise. I know it's damn sore, and to be honest more painful than labour but I would try to avoid the op until after as it's a lot to deal with. ( I had mines done when dd was four months old after weeks in and out of hospital) Being so strict with your diet is key to keeping the pain levels at a minimum. Ie pretty much no fat, no rich food, low sodium. Pretty much chicken, plain rice and pasta, 1% milk, veg that doesn't cause gas and lots and lots of water. I've found my attacks (which sadly I still get due to having liver stones and a damaged liver during the cholecystectomy) reduce dramatically when I drink water and lie down. I still suffer the attacks when I'm silly with my diet and continue to take DHC and buscopan when needed. Feel free to mail me if you want any more advice or someone to rant to xxx

Hi. I think it'll depend on whether the docs feel you're likely to have more issues by not having it done. I had to have mine removed 2 years ago as it started kicking out stones and caused pancreatitis by blocking the pancreatic duct. It also caused some liver issues. Both were resolved and surgery prevented the issue from re-occurring. (This wasn't during pg so different circumstance).

If the docs are happy that you're unlikely to have further complications during pg then I'd definitely recommend waiting. It's all about risks and benefits - which do the docs feel is riskier?

I'm sorry you're having to suffer - not nice at all x

ahhh catmommy I'm sooo sorry you're going through this, I had mine out but not pg..

There was a woman on here in the last month or so who had hers out while pregnant.. I will see if I can find the thread, I think it was in the 2nd trimester section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->