Gardeners

ooh can i join please ? :wave:
we just moved last year and now have a lovely little garden right outside - we tried planting some stuff in our last place but only strawberries and herbs ever grew! we have some fruit trees at OH's parents house and a MASSIVE rhubarb plant which has gone nuts!
Planted a load of fruit bushes (well they were just sticks to start with - doing ok at the moment!) - a few herbs mostly little plants, I am quite proud of my sage grown from seed though!
We planted some LOVELY runner beans which have now been munched to stalks by slugs :grr: I dont like killing things so have tried 'slug stopper' which worked fine till it rained then they came out in force :cry: OH and me are often to be found out there in the evening picking off the little b****ds! I am even considering slug pellets but dont want the many birds that come in to get hurt ... also I am told they dont always stop them?
that spiky earth stuff sounds interesting - where might you get that from?

I like flowers too but prefer fruit/veg - love food too much to grow things I cant eat :rofl: - although the last owner of our house has some quite pretty shrubs which we've left for now .... the plan is to build some raised beds though which apparently are better when it comes to pests? anyone tried this?

Hiya! My mum has advised me to break up some egg shells and scatter them all over my border to keep slugs off, I think I will try that before puting slug pellets down, tbh though Slugs are the only thing in the world I wouldnt mind killing!

A good way to control slugs is using nematodes. Bought from garden centre, you put in water and water the garden with them approx every 6 weeks. They are a parasite that likes to much on sluggy wugs and snaily wails. Works a treat and not dangerous at all. xxx

Hmmm..... is it ok to wander around looking like a tramp while gardening?! :D

ooh can i join please ? :wave:
we just moved last year and now have a lovely little garden right outside - we tried planting some stuff in our last place but only strawberries and herbs ever grew! we have some fruit trees at OH's parents house and a MASSIVE rhubarb plant which has gone nuts!
Planted a load of fruit bushes (well they were just sticks to start with - doing ok at the moment!) - a few herbs mostly little plants, I am quite proud of my sage grown from seed though!
We planted some LOVELY runner beans which have now been munched to stalks by slugs :grr: I dont like killing things so have tried 'slug stopper' which worked fine till it rained then they came out in force :cry: OH and me are often to be found out there in the evening picking off the little b****ds! I am even considering slug pellets but dont want the many birds that come in to get hurt ... also I am told they dont always stop them?
that spiky earth stuff sounds interesting - where might you get that from?

I like flowers too but prefer fruit/veg - love food too much to grow things I cant eat :rofl: - although the last owner of our house has some quite pretty shrubs which we've left for now .... the plan is to build some raised beds though which apparently are better when it comes to pests? anyone tried this?

Hiya! My mum has advised me to break up some egg shells and scatter them all over my border to keep slugs off, I think I will try that before puting slug pellets down, tbh though Slugs are the only thing in the world I wouldnt mind killing!

I collected egg shells for a few months and put them down and it didn't work!! If you are protecting pots then there is some copper tape you can get which is supposed to be very effective but not sure how expensive it would be to put around raised beds?

I always get distracted by my garden as I walk by and suddenly find myself sweating and filthy and pulling up weeds and THEN I remember to go put on old clothes.
As I have only a handful of things that fit right now, this can be a bit awkward.
But I have come to accept dirt on my clothes and self as badges of hardcore gardening honour, just as I now consider spit-up the accessory du jour for hip mums.
I don't have a hope in hell of my boy being tidy and clean. Oh well, at least we match! :)

I always get distracted by my garden as I walk by and suddenly find myself sweating and filthy and pulling up weeds and THEN I remember to go put on old clothes.
As I have only a handful of things that fit right now, this can be a bit awkward.
But I have come to accept dirt on my clothes and self as badges of hardcore gardening honour, just as I now consider spit-up the accessory du jour for hip mums.
I don't have a hope in hell of my boy being tidy and clean. Oh well, at least we match! :)

:rofl:

Girls, I am now looking for a good way to rid my garden of ants! They are bloody everywhere!

plan on being able to use my grass (when it finally looks better) fr Daisy to play on but these little critters are all over!

:help:

For ants, use a combination of sugar and boric acid powder. The worker ants carry the deadly combo back to the nest and they all get poisoned slowly by dessication. If you just put down poison, it kills the ants so quickly it might not make it back to the nest. It's got to reach the queen if it's going to work.

Not sure if I belong here. I have let my garden go this year. I'll be cleaning it up soon probably though. Mostly this year I'm just growing a pineapple in my house. It will take about 18-24 mos for the pineapple to actually produce a fruit!

OOh the boric acid treatment sounds a bit cruel ! but then I spose you can't risk you little girl getting bitten!

Hiya pineapple I once tried that but tbh got bored and threw it away LOL! (I have no patience) plus I read it is not very likely I would ever get a pineapple in the good ol sunny uk!

I have decided pregnancy and gardening are not too compatible, managed 2 hours yesterday, re-potting cucumbers and tomatoes in my greenhouse and weeded my veg beds and I was completely knackered!! It is really hard to bend over too!

I have greenfly on my squash and pumpkin plants, have taken them out of the greenhouse to prevent infecting everything else and have sprayed them with soapy water but does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of them please?

My friend's mom grew a pineapple in Washington so I'm thinkin I will be able to in Indiana.

In other news, 2 of my 3 Stargazer Lilies I planted last year are going to flower soon I think. They've gotten really tall. I've got to weed the garden area tomorrow

Cool they are beautiful, I love lillies - one of my cats is named Lily!!

Just thought, we should post pics of our gardens on here, I will put some of mine on in a mo!

I'll post mine tomorrow (today lol it's 3 am) after I weed it and clean it up some

My decking and some pics of the garden, will post some more later when have re-sized them!

Attachments

• decking fom dining room2.jpg
    decking fom dining room2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 4
  • garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
  • garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
  • garden 1.jpg
    garden 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
BEautiful garden!! i hope when we own our own place we'll have a big garden too!!! I love it!

i always post pics of mine but here it is again

https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v316/203/56/586093637/n586093637_1207091_9464.jpg

https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v316/203/56/586093637/n586093637_1207092_264.jpg

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v316/203/56/586093637/n586093637_1207093_1081.jpg

i love my garden. it's even better at the moment. lots of colour. what a perfect gardening day today. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->