Gardeners

:blush: Mine is only midway done and even then I will be too ashamed to post pics! It is the beginning so maybe next year it will look more mature!

Ours was just a big pile of weeds to start with, I wish I had taken a photo of it before I started!

Ali, I am always jealous of yours! Love looking at pics of it :D

:blush: Mine is only midway done and even then I will be too ashamed to post pics! It is the beginning so maybe next year it will look more mature!

Ours was just a big pile of weeds to start with, I wish I had taken a photo of it before I started!

Ali, I am always jealous of yours! Love looking at pics of it :D

thanks andrea! i'm a gardening thread hog....:blush::hug:

I have massive garden envy right now. Both alio and golcarlilly, I am drooling!
I agree that the ant thing is nasty, but then, so is using commercial poison. Or tossing slugs into saucers of beer or any of our other methods of pest control, really. There is most definitely an argument for live and let live - after all, ants are really important for decomposition and soil aeration and structure. But they will bite.
I use the boric acid method when they get into the house, but I let them live in the garden.
Gardeners with Cats Warning: all members of the lily family are highly toxic to cats. They cause renal (kidney) failure in all things feline. So if you have an outdoor cat who is fond of nibbling on plants, be very careful about including lilies in your garden. It's a shame because lilies are so gorgeous, but a very tiny amount of the plant will kill the cat quite swiftly. :(

I have massive garden envy right now. Both alio and golcarlilly, I am drooling!
I agree that the ant thing is nasty, but then, so is using commercial poison. Or tossing slugs into saucers of beer or any of our other methods of pest control, really. There is most definitely an argument for live and let live - after all, ants are really important for decomposition and soil aeration and structure. But they will bite.
I use the boric acid method when they get into the house, but I let them live in the garden.
Gardeners with Cats Warning: all members of the lily family are highly toxic to cats. They cause renal (kidney) failure in all things feline. So if you have an outdoor cat who is fond of nibbling on plants, be very careful about including lilies in your garden. It's a shame because lilies are so gorgeous, but a very tiny amount of the plant will kill the cat quite swiftly. :(

Goodness me, I never knew that! You learn something every day. My poor cat! I love lillies..... Not sure who'll have to go! Ha ha. x

I know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We did a lot of education on this at the Zoo. Easter lilies are one of the worst, as they are indoors and very tempting for housecats.
alio, I'll be keeping an eye out for any posts you make entitled: "Wanted - Good Home for a Kitty". Then I'll know the lilies won. :)

I know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We did a lot of education on this at the Zoo. Easter lilies are one of the worst, as they are indoors and very tempting for housecats.
alio, I'll be keeping an eye out for any posts you make entitled: "Wanted - Good Home for a Kitty". Then I'll know the lilies won. :)

ha ha ha... there's every likelihood....

It rained so my garden is still a mess. BUT my lily's are getting plenty to drink today. Plus now if it's sunny tomorrow the weeds will come up easier with wet ground

Thanks for the post about the lillies Sarah, I have two cats and I did know but I know that lots of other people (including my friend who has three) don't know!!

Alio your garden is gorgeous - and your table and chairs is the same as ours!!

I must go and open my greenhouse windows and water the plants this morning what will the scorcher it was yesterday I bet all my plants are dying of thirst!!

Thanks for the post about the lillies Sarah, I have two cats and I did know but I know that lots of other people (including my friend who has three) don't know!!

Alio your garden is gorgeous - and your table and chairs is the same as ours!!

I must go and open my greenhouse windows and water the plants this morning what will the scorcher it was yesterday I bet all my plants are dying of thirst!!

As is yours! Lovely to see that veg! x

Girlies..... I have been growing different varieties of sunflowers, now I have only ever grown the giant ones, and I know that they need a bit of support so will be going against the hedge, but I am not sure of the other ones I have and was just wondering if you knew how they grow, you know, really tall or do I plant them in the garden quite close together etc......

So my other ones are......

Teddy Bear

Dwarf

Evening....

Any advice would be fab girls as they are ready to plant! xxx

ok so here I am again with another question! Sorry this is all new to me!

in our garden (it is shared as we live in a flat but have been told it is ours cos our neighbour hates gardening!)
There is washing line poles, they are there to stay cos I am not digging out the concrete that holds them in!
i was wondering what plants you would recommend to grow up these poles.... I want to disguise them a bit, and I dont hang out washing because I am scared of beasties in my clothes!

I was thinking Sweet Peas, do you think it would work? Or Ivy but it might take over the world if I plant it?!

Am I too late to start growing sweet peas?

So many questions! Sorry girls! :blush:

ok so here I am again with another question! Sorry this is all new to me!

in our garden (it is shared as we live in a flat but have been told it is ours cos our neighbour hates gardening!)
There is washing line poles, they are there to stay cos I am not digging out the concrete that holds them in!
i was wondering what plants you would recommend to grow up these poles.... I want to disguise them a bit, and I dont hang out washing because I am scared of beasties in my clothes!

I was thinking Sweet Peas, do you think it would work? Or Ivy but it might take over the world if I plant it?!

Am I too late to start growing sweet peas?

So many questions! Sorry girls! :blush:

sweet peas are annuals so won't come every year but they are absolutely beautiful. you'll have to hurry to catch some established plants at the garden centres now. i would grow something like a clematis which will cover it and come year after year... maybe a montana rubens.. they grow so quickly and need nothing doing to them...

https://trgovina.vrtnar.si/images/grmovnice/4003479552618.jpg

as for the sunflowers... your dwarf sunflowers will probably grow to about a foot and won't need staking. the others will probably grow to about three foot. just pop them in together. we're keeping ours in containers this year, xx

We have a montana rubens (although I never knew it's name before! :blush:) and it is lovely, I think you may be a little late for sweet peas cos my neighbour has them and they are quite well established already this time. We have just bought a couple of jasmines to grow up the underneath of our decking cos they are lovely and scented too!

I posted yesterday but it has disappeared? does anyone have any good green/whitefly remedies cos my squash plants are all infested :(

We have a montana rubens (although I never knew it's name before! :blush:) and it is lovely, I think you may be a little late for sweet peas cos my neighbour has them and they are quite well established already this time. We have just bought a couple of jasmines to grow up the underneath of our decking cos they are lovely and scented too!

I posted yesterday but it has disappeared? does anyone have any good green/whitefly remedies cos my squash plants are all infested :(

You could try putting some marigolds around them as a companion plant? The little sods may be drawn to them more Other than that I don my gloves and squash them all..... xxxx

I'm so shit at this it isnt even funny......

Ok a quick run down..... My garden was a massive pile of weeds, a bit of grass in the middle that had overgrown everywhere and my neighbours shed in the corner.

My aim for summer was to cut back the grass size to a managable rectangle, put some sort of edging around it, lay some decrative chips all round it, lay a patio area in the far corner, erect a shed and create 1 border with plants and flowers.

So far, I know this is quite alot because it's only been a couple of weeks since I decided to do it!

I have reshaped the grass as much as I can, it is bugging me cos it isnt straight but because of the washing line poles it has to be a bit squint!
I am trying to repair the grass as it was a massive bit of moss!
Thats the 1st thing that isnt working!!:hissy:

I have put a log border around it, most of this didnt work cos of the f-ing concrete hlding in the washing line poles!!!:hissy:

I have now moved 2 tonnes, yes 2 TONNES!! Of chips from the front garden to the back, my back is killing me!

My flowers look like they might die cos of the heatwave :hissy:

I replanted my Sunflowers last night and now this sun is burning them :hissy:

I was trying to move a bush thing from the corner of the garden today, I think it has been there since the beginning of time, and it was all cover in snails and bugs :hissy:

I am tring to dig out a Rhubarb plant that is taking over and I cant dig out its roots:hissy:

Hmmm......... anything else.......... Oh yeah, next week I am attempting laying a patio area!

Neil was meant to do it but he is a nob, but I need to get it done for my shed being delivered!:hissy:

Oh yeah and my garden is COVERED in BIG HUGE SLUGS!:hissy::hissy::hissy:

Sorry, it's too hot and I am having a bad day!
If you can decipher anything from this post, any advice would be great thanks! :blush:

It will all come together in time hun, don't try and do everything at once! Leave the rhubarb you can make lovely crumbles and pies!!!

Slugs - try beer traps they are a good environmentally friendly way to get rid of them - use a small container such as a a large yoghurt/cream/cottage cheese pot and sink it into the ground then fill with cheap beer (supermarkets own cheapest is fine). The slugs are attracted to it and will fall in and drown!! - what a way to go :rofl: when it is full just empty and replace with more beer!

Yesterday I managed to get my mini pumpkins and sweecorn planted out so my tomatoes and cucumbers have more room in the greenhouse now. Plan for today is to plant out my butternut squash and large pumpkins and I need to sow more salad leaf seeds too! My potatoes have suddenly started sprouting like mad and my peas are coming on nicely too - must remember to feed everything!

I have to put in the salad bar today. And try to transplant all the strawberries. It looks like I had success with the raspberries - all but two are now in leaf. The strawbs seem more delicate. I think I need to work on the soil in the bed I'm transplanting them to - it's like clay. Lots of work to do today!

Didn't manage to get anything planted yesterday, it was so hot and after helping DD to cut the grass (I held the flex out of the way) and trimming the edges I was too tired :hissy: I hate the way I tire so quickly now it is sooooo frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->