Gardeners

taperjeangirl

Reaction score
Ugh! i am so rubbish at gardening so am hoping to find some lovelys to help me as I transfrom my garden!

Post pics of your garden to make me jealous/give me ideas! :D

I need to know what is best to plant at this time of year so that we have a lovely colourful garden when summer eventually gets here (if it does!)

I have just dug one border all ready for some plants and plan on filling some planters and pots too.

Preferrably something that doesn't need alot of looking after incase I get bored of my gardening phase! :blush:

:rofl: Love that last part. Well we live in a condo right now but are moving to a place with a garden on Saturday (well two very small plots) but we do plan to plant a few things this summer. Will be looking for help here as Stan wants to grow herbs and my mom only ever really planted flowers :lol:

Oooo I'd like some herbs too but don't want to get too carried away yet! :rofl:!

Fab thread, i'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I am not very good with the garden, although very enthusiastic. x

OMG andrea, i was going to start up a gardening group...... i think we should get married! xx I LOVE GARDENING......

Hi can I join please? I love gardening but I prefer growing fruit and veg - flowers are nice but they are not very tasty :rofl: We got a greenhouse last year and made a veg patch and had loads of success (and some failures!) I will post some pics over the weekend.

Any ideas on how to stop an irritating Retriever from digging up my plants? :hissy:

OMG andrea, i was going to start up a gardening group...... i think we should get married! xx I LOVE GARDENING......

:rofl:

I remember your stunning garden! (super jealous!) I'll be counting on you to help me then! :D

I don't have a garden but have a yard aka concrete heaven:dohh:
But have loads of pot plants:)
Also loads of cheaper wind things for the kids and
https://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Barbecues/Wilko-Spiral-Garden-Candle/invt/0139150

have pink one's and green one's,
Also have tomarto plants, pepper and herbs
Need to sort the lettuce out and a few other bits:)

I don't have a garden but have a yard aka concrete heaven:dohh:
But have loads of pot plants:)
Also loads of cheaper wind things for the kids and
https://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Barbecues/Wilko-Spiral-Garden-Candle/invt/0139150

have pink one's and green one's,
Also have tomarto plants, pepper and herbs
Need to sort the lettuce out and a few other bits:)

Aaww Kaci thats cool! I went into poundland yesterday to get some black bags and spent £30 on kids garden windmills and chimes and stuff like that! :blush:
Want to make it appealing for Daisy!

Haha thats where mine are from!! Brighten up the concrete cheaply!! lol

Im quite a keen gardener, however we're moving soon (hope for the sale to be complete by end of June) so my gardening has been restricted to containers this year!
I'm growing, tomato's, cucumbers, potatoes, peas, runner beans, carrots, beetroot and some herbs & peppers, all be it in rather small quantities this year as i've had to buy extra containers etc!!!!

The garden at our new house is 100ft by 45ft so i am soooooo rediculously excited about what i can do with that!!!! :happydance: Hoping to get a green house and to be able to dedicate some more space to flowering plants too as i love them also!!!!

I love buying gardening magazines and papers, Garden news & Gardens Monthly are faves since you often get good offers of free things buy just pay p&p!!! :happydance:

I'm a gardening fan, too!
We are just putting in the colder weather salad bar and the peas and my neighbour has just given us all of her raspberry bushes, so we have a nice prickly job of transplanting those today.
taperjeangirl, try looking up some easy perennials that do well in your gardening zone. They'll give you lots of colour and texture and fragrance and you don't have to do a whole lot. I started some daisies and columbines from seed several years ago and I'm still enjoying them. There are heaps of easy ones like that.
You could just buy plants. It's more expensive, but it's faster and you don't need all the seed trays and such.
Have fun!

Help girls!! I bought loads of bedding plants yesterday and they are still just tiny wee, how far apart should I plant them?

We bought some roses too, gemma chose red, I got a white and Daisy pink, do I need to do anything to the soil before planting them and do they need special food?

Got some honeysuckle too, I love the smell, it reminds me of being at my Grannys in the summer when I was little!

taperjean make sure you put down slug pellets around your bedding plants cos otherwise the slugs and snails will make short work of them!! I put some marigolds in last year and the next day they were just stalks - gutted!!

Oh I am shuddering at the thought of slugs!! I swear since I have moved down here the only slugs I have seen are the big huge massive horrible black ones!!! No such this as a little slug down here! Urgh even typing the word makes me cringe!!!

Thanks for the advice I will nip out and get some today, all my little plants are still in their pots so they should be ok for now!

We don't have many slugs but millions of snails!!!! I tried last year to be completely organic (plus I hate using pellets cos I am always scared my cats will eat them!) but in the end I just had to give in and put pellets down!

I don't know what slug pellets consist of, but if it's poison and you want to stay away from that, you can try diamotaceous (sp?) earth. It's little diatoms, their sharp sides will cut the slugs if they try to slime over it. It worked well for me.
So after all that gardening yesterday (in 23 C weather), we should be getting snow today. SNOW!!!!!!
Thank god I didn't get the salads planted. They are cold-weather hardy, but snow?
I am also waiting to see if the raspberries survive my transplanting. Hmmmm.

Here are some slug control alternatives to pellets:
https://www.eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm

Hope it's helpful!
I don't have roses, but I think they often require bonemeal or something like it.

ooh can i join please ? :wave:
we just moved last year and now have a lovely little garden right outside - we tried planting some stuff in our last place but only strawberries and herbs ever grew! we have some fruit trees at OH's parents house and a MASSIVE rhubarb plant which has gone nuts!
Planted a load of fruit bushes (well they were just sticks to start with - doing ok at the moment!) - a few herbs mostly little plants, I am quite proud of my sage grown from seed though!
We planted some LOVELY runner beans which have now been munched to stalks by slugs :grr: I dont like killing things so have tried 'slug stopper' which worked fine till it rained then they came out in force :cry: OH and me are often to be found out there in the evening picking off the little b****ds! I am even considering slug pellets but dont want the many birds that come in to get hurt ... also I am told they dont always stop them?
that spiky earth stuff sounds interesting - where might you get that from?

I like flowers too but prefer fruit/veg - love food too much to grow things I cant eat :rofl: - although the last owner of our house has some quite pretty shrubs which we've left for now .... the plan is to build some raised beds though which apparently are better when it comes to pests? anyone tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->