GD & Avoiding Induction

FeistyMom

3 DDs, 1 DS & Preggers
Reaction score
I'm currently pregnant with baby #3, and was diagnosed with GD last month. I know that in general, OBs don't let you go past your due date if you have GD, but now I'm a bit worried that I'll be induced earlier. Both of my daughters were born on their due dates (weird coincidence), and deep down I'm convinced this baby will be born early, but I'd prefer labor to start more naturally.

Does anyone know what indicates that you should be induced early if you have GD? I trust my doctor, but I also like to be informed and hate waiting for appointments :D

Theres a pdf by AIMS I was sent about why they like to induce women with gd/diabetes. if you pm me your email address Ill pass it on.

I have pre existing type 2 diabetes and have recently been put on insulin. I will not be consenting to induction unless they can show me that theres an actual risk to me or my baby. The research is ridiculously weak if you look at it and peer reviews have questioned the practice of induction on the grounds of diabetes.

The RCOG says that the policy of induction at 38/40w is based on common practice rather than evidence.

From what I can see the reasoning is that women with diabetes have a higher chance of stillbirth. but stillbirth is classed as anything from 24weeks (or around then anyway). If you have high sugars when baby is developing youre more likely to get birth defects so more likely to have problems which will cause a pre term still birth.

*but* if youve got to full term then thats not going to apply to you, the statistics still include all births from 24w to 40w as any baby who dies during this time is technically a still birth.

I hope ive explained it well and not got the wrong end of the stick (im happy to be corrected if i have, im no scientist, ive just read some of the research)

The main point for me is that the royal college of ob's and gynes (RCOG) say that the practice isnt evidence based. Im not going to accept the well documented risks of induction just to mitigate the weakly-evidenced risks of non-induction.

Ive tried to have a conversation with my consultant about this btw and it was a total waste of time. If you get any sensible information out of your appts then do let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->