Gender scan question

mcwhmm

Reaction score
I'm a little over 11 weeks now and I am so anxious to find out the gender! I have been going through some of my daughters old things and want to know if I should keep any! Plus I want to stock up on stuff as early as possible to save money! I can either wait to find out the gender at 20 weeks at my OB, or I can find out at 16 weeks with a private scan. The private scan will be about 80$ and they also do 3D and 4D pictures. I know the best option is probably just to wait and get it for free... But I'm also worried about my DH being able to come to my ultrasound. If I did it on a Saturday 16 weeks. He would definitely be able to come. But he works 3rd shift and sometimes is completely dead all day. He hasnt been to any of my scans yet because of them being in the morning before I go to work and he is just getting off. Am I just being impatient? Lol

Also, if I choose to get a private scan, I can't decide between the packages. You can do a 10 min or 20 min. 10 min doesn't seem like that much time, but do you think it would be enough?

10 minutes is ages for a scan! I'd probably just wait for the 20 week one if it was just for getting the gender, but if your OH likely won't be able to make that one then I'd book one around 16 weeks. Kind of defeats the purpose of saving money by getting stuff early, but oh well!

I kinda think spending money on the scan defeats the purpose of saving by stocking up early as it just cost you more in the long run lol ;)

If your hubby can't make the scan then maybe ask the Dr to write the gender down and put it in an envelope to open when you are together ? :flower:

I agree that 10 minutes is plenty of time for a scan. From personal experience, I'd wait until week 20. I suppose it depends on how much you want to know the gender vs. see what the baby looks like.
I found out with my son by 3D/4D ultrasound at 17 weeks. But the downside was that he was still so small at that stage, he still kind of looked like an alien than a formed baby on the ultrasound. I didn't get a good idea of what my child looked like. But I did know for sure that he was a boy. I'm waiting longer this time around for that reason.
I also believe that saving money will not depend on whether you are 16 weeks or 20 weeks. I don't think you will miss out on deals that much by waiting 4 more weeks. But that's my opinion. There are plenty of ways to find things on sale. Going to yard sales, checking used baby stores, checking clearance aisles all the time, etc.

Oh I know I'm just being impatient but it's so hard lol

I did a private scan with both of my kids at 15 weeks 6 days (ironically I will be the same with this baby!) I too want to know ASAP and if I could afford it, I would TOTALLY do the blood gender test lol. I would go for it, your hubby should be there for that moment :)

Also, my scans were 20 minutes long (they have an option for an hour scan too but its pricey!) 20 minutes didn't seem long enough for me! lol 10 minutes would seem like 2 seconds.. but I LOVE ultrasounds

Another reason that I was thinking about doing the private scan, is that it could be a fun day with me and DH. The ultrasound place that I am looking into is an hour and a half away from where we live. It's in a much bigger town filled with yummy restaurants that we don't have here, much better shopping, and things to do. I was thinking that it would be more of a "date day" rather than going to the OB. We hardly ever get a kid free moment lol. Let alone a whole day. Especially after this baby comes, it will be very, very minimal, and we are okay with that.. but this would be like one day that we would have to ourselves.

I had a private scan at 16 weeks and it was an AMAZING experience. In the UK its £79 for about 20 min scan, also got to see 4D and found out I was have a girly. If money isn't an issue, then go for it! :). I will be booking in again with this pregnancy xx

I had the private scan at 16 weeks to find out the gender as I really was impatient, and in my opinion it was worth every penny, we got some great pictures as well.

Thanks ladies! We discussed it further today and decided that we are going to go through with the private scan at 16 weeks. That way I don't have to worry about DH not being able to make it and we can also make a fun day out of it:) I'm calling tomorrow to schedule the appointment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->