Gender Selection.

I am very grateful for what i have. Like i said, i have been through the loss of a child so i know how precious children are.

Excellent topic! :thumbup: This is something that in my roile as a science communicator I have led discussions on. It is the thin (and achievable) end of a range of selection by genetic traits. Taking just this discrete selection, with the exception of certain sex-linked conditions I cannot ever agree to the concept. For me it certainly isn't a "God has given you..." issue but one of natural population dynamics and one of social conditioning.

The favouring of one sex over the other is something I abhor. It lies on deep-seated prejudice and stereotyping that in itself is IMO damaging to children and the opportunities they receive in life. Every child is equal regardless of gender and should be considered so. To offer it as a solution, for example, to the back-street abortion and the likes in countries such as China where only one child is allowed (unless that first child is a girl! :shock:) only exacerbates the problem. In countries like China and India there is already a growing imbalance of gender in the whole population because of these practices and favouring one sex over another. Populations need a balance or it will skew so many other social practices.

The issue of gender disappointment I believe is like other mental conditions something to be treated with counselling and support. I believe it lies either with the stereotypes of what gender means and/or with life experiences that have shaped that person's outlook. Neither of which are reasons to justify the selection of embryos by sex. It is something to be empathic about though and not judged in itself.

Looking at genetic selection more broadly, one of the most interesting and volatile areas of debate in this field is that about selection for deafness. A topic for another debate though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->