Gestational diabetes and a 10lb baby

Salyerbaby

Reaction score
I was diagnosed at 16 weeks because my
Mom suggested I test my blood sugar and I saw it was high. GD was confirmed by the doctor. We had our 20 week scan and everything looked good. About 24 weeks we were in the middle of moving and taking a vacation and I was not eating a low carb diet. So I was not good for the last six weeks. We had our 32 week scan and the doctor said our baby is measuring 6.4 lbs. and I need to be strict or I will need a c section for a ten lb baby. I have been extremely strict since and my blood sugar has been fantastic. I’m scared though that it’s too late. Has anyone else had a similar situation or any advice. This is my first baby at 35.

EAB5C1E5-996A-444A-956C-8DCD1A09F1DA.jpeg

I had GD and was told my baby would be about 8 lbs based on ultrasound and he ended up being 10. So they dont really know anyway!! Do your best to eat healthy, and know that the rest is really out of our control.

Dont let them force you into an unneeded csection. The weight is just a guess

also, people have 10lb babies vaginally all the time. It's not that unusual. You can do it, you'll just need to buy bigger baby clothes :)

Also don't put too much stock in a single ultrasound. I had GD last time around (insulin dependent) and we had a lot of scans. All of them said she was 50th percentile, and then one showed her at 95th. That one was just wrong. She was born 7lbs 1 oz at 39 weeks (induced)

You do need to very tightly control your sugars though - and not just for baby's weight. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause problems with the placenta (and for you!). Here we have to test 7 times a day and send those readings to the edno nurses once a week. They decide then if you need to change diet/meds.

I know American docs are really into low carb for diabetics but it's so weird because here they literally told me off for not eating enough carbs last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->