Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

The hospital gave me a book and the lady said "your numbers had to have been at, higher, or much higher than these for you to be here right now"...... but I can't remember the numbers that were in the booklet at the moment and since we cleaned I honestly can't remember where the booklet is :dohh:

I went to Target pharmacy and the pharmacist gave me 15 packs of 5 sample needles. She cleaned out whatever samples she had there. Score! Haha!

Hey ladies. Can I ask Just a quick question? I failed
My one hour test today. I have to take 3 hour test this week. Is it beneficial to remove some carbs and sugar for a few days before test? I would like to go tomorrow and get it over with but can wait until Friday if a
Few days in a better diet would help?? But honestly I eat somewhat healthy already so I'm not sure if it would help or if I should even do that.

Thanks for your help!

If it makes you feel happier/more well then maybe err on the side of caution and start the diet now - I have actually heard that eats lots and lots of sugar and carbs can sometimes make the GTT ineffective at correct diagnosis! But I am sure that is rare and extreme.

Good luck :hugs:

I was told that it doesn't matter. You fast beforehand anyway, and the test is only dealing with how your body processes that particular amount of glucose they give you in the drink.

Yea, I tried all sorts of little "tricks" to try and pass the 3 hour test.... none of them worked. ;)

Ok. Well I'm going in the morning because I just want to get it over with. Hopefully I can keep all that nasty drink down!

I always think with stuff like that I'd worry if I thought some sort of fluke made me pass when I otherwise wouldn't have - I'd just like to know one way or the other.

In the UK we just do one test, fasting, drink, 1hr and 2hr.

Not everyone has it either - you need a risk factor or symptoms. I think they should do it as standard.

so I have to keep my 2 hr post meal numbers at 6.6 or below and maintain at least 75% below that in order to stay diet controlled without any kind of medicine. I am really really hoping to stay diet controlled for the whole time, so I am being fairly careful, except on my plane rides when options are limited (the long trip was because I had a two week trip back to the U.S. for business).

I guess it is because I am trying to diet control so much, but I feel like I am failing, even when I get scores in the low 6s! Today after lunch I tested at 5.8 and instantly thought, that's too high! I should be lower. :( anyone else feel like they are failing even when their numbers are higher but still good?

I get that too - I have to be under 6 pre meals and I feel crappy when it is over 5, even if there is a good reason - like a snack not long before.

Post meals I need to be below 7.8 at 1hr - but I feel really down if it is over 7??? Even above 6.4 or so and I am a bit disappointed.

GD makes us all go MAD!

eventerjj,

You still have a way to go and I would recommend, even though that is really hard, to go easy on yourself. The targets they gave you are stricter than mine and I think you are doing well. I could not help but beat myself up over every high number and it made this whole journey a lot longer and more stressful than it needed to be. I would recommend that you tell yourself that you are doing your best and you exercising control over your eating, but is just one part of the equation. Things like fatigue, hormones, stress, illness etc can make your numbers spike. I don't think baby is effected so much by occasional spikes if the majority of your numbers are under control.

Good luck and be kind to yourself! :)

When I did 2hr testing I had to be back under 6. But I found exercise or just normal activity could really help with that.

I find keeping the peak under control harder.

There are some positives to having GD. This article today is an eye opener. I would probably be like one of these ladies if I didn't have GD. My diet prior to GD was so carb heavy!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eating-causing-long-term-health-problems.html

Wow, some of them have definitely gained a lot. I'm still maintaining my 7lb weight gain. Although, saying that, here is my bump. Being so short makes it impossible for it to go anywhere but out!

Attachments

• 10427291_10153115026016942_7827020859029570662_n.jpg
    10427291_10153115026016942_7827020859029570662_n.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Amelie, that makes me feel better that I am not the only one.
You guys are all awesome. I'm trying really hard to tell myself I'm good, so hopefully I start feeling better about it!

What a pretty bump northern_me! I am the same as you. I have a very short torso so my stomach sticks out a lot. I will try to post a picture of my bump tonight. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Oy. Me being under a ton of stress this week and my complete lack of sleep (3hrs-5hrs each night instead of my normal 10-12hrs) is really affecting my numbers. :cry:

I am eating the same exact thing as I usually do and they are high! Like my flatbread pizza & spinach and tomato salad where the 3 times before last night that I had it I was in the 70's and last night I was at 107. Grump.

I'll try and do a bump photo later, I'm also short!

I've gained 10lb so far, same as with dd2 at full term! But I started of lighter this time.

This article is interesting - I don't eat pasta but this definitely also works for sweet potatoes. I had a once cooked sweet potato last week with tuna, Mayo and cheese and got 7 at 1hr.

Today I got a cooked sweet potato put the freezer and cooked it again. Same topping and I got a 5.8!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29629761

Christine :hugs: Lack of sleep does terrible things to blood sugar. You should be fine after a good night's sleep.

Amelie, I have heard about resistant starches. Very interesting. I actually like cold pasta because it is chewier. I also like reheated Chinese noodles, so maybe my body knew that these suited me better than fresh pasta. Very interesting about your experiment with the sweet potato.

My numbers are stabilizing or coming down. Today I got a 5.4 and hour and a half after breakfast. It's the same breakfast I have been eating for a last couple of months and I have NEVER had such a low number. The PDF is right. GD seems to peak at week 34 to 36. Hope this doesn't mean that placental deterioration has started! I will know more when I have an ultrasound next wednesday. But bubs is active and kicking well, so I am ok with things for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->