Gestational Diabetes Group - Us vs. the Carbs

I need like a week or two of good sleep HA! I'm exhausted, cranky, overwhelmed and stressed. I want to go hide somewhere and come out when I'm ready to have the baby :haha:

I may or may not just have indulged in jalapeño poppers with a side of 5 units of insulin.

Short girl, GD bumpage...

https://s15.postimg.org/uxauq1rrr/IMG_20150213_05996.jpg

I have a question. So right now I'm taking insulin before breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm finding my meal numbers are fine, but that I'm spiking after basically any kind of snack that isn't a vegetable. Do you think they'll make me take more to buffer my snacks? For example, one day I had 5.2 as a morning #, 7.2 after my meal (needs to be under 7.8), and then at like 2pm I had 1/2 a glass of smoothie with fruit in it(I measured it out, I should have been fine) and my pre dinner meal was 8.1.

You have a lovely bump Amelie! You are so skinny all over and are all bump. I am sure you will have no trouble returning to your former figure once baby comes :)

northern, maybe a smoothie is too much for your body right now. Might be better to eat the fruit than to blend it into a smoothie. If I do eat an apple or a pear, I follow that up with some low carb crackers and fatty cheese like Brie, just to slow down the sugar absorption. Might be worth a try.

Wow, so jealous of your bump! Its like perfectly round... I still have a "b" belly.

Northern, even with your snacks you need to be having protein. This might help you not spike with that. I wouldn't be able to eat a smoothie either even with my "flexible" body. I have to have nuts or cheese to balance it out.

The other night I was bad and actually ate some of my baby shower cake but it was right after eating my dinner meal with lots of chicken... didn't make me go over.

I am getting annoyed at my fasting numbers again though. I can't figure them out! I thought I was fine not taking any insulin but then a couple days in a row I'll get 92's or 94's. But then the next day it will be in the 70's or 80's. Some nights I'd eat the exact same thing before bed and one night it would be fine but the next it would be too high. So, I guess I need to start sticking myself again just to keep it "regulated". My doctor's office wasn't too concerned cause they are "close" to the right numbers but I don't like being over... lol. Drives me batty.

I just bought a low carb cake mix off the website I try to get you all to use... supposed to be a great yummy chocolate cake for diabetics. Guess we'll see!

Ugh... Rant to follow :( I'm fed up. Numbers were great all last week after my plane ride. Friday afternoon LO was kicking so much or something else happened that made me feel all day like any food that went in was coming straight back out. I was also incredibly exhausted so I slept on and off from 4:30 pm til 9:30 am (no, it was not good sleep, so don't be jealous). ever since then my numbers have been 1 to 1.5 higher than I would expect them to be for what I have eaten. I also have a head cold/sinus thing going on that isn't helping. I just hope everything levels back out soon! Here is to a good Sunday? But we are already off to a bad start with fasting of 5.7...

I have got a sore throat and our daughters had me and dh up twice in the night. I am also hitting 5s fasting. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :hugs:

I am finding it easier to keep my sugars under control now. My sugars are stabilizing now that I am in week 37. Baby is still very active and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and an ultrasound on Wednesday so I am curious to see how the placenta is doing. I am happy that the sugars have not dropped drastically. Just easier to keep it under control. I am also hungrier and am eating more but this is not affecting my numbers. I have also had a modest bit of weight gain.

After the struggles of the past couple of weeks I am happy to be where I am now. If any of you ladies struggle with your numbers around week 34 to 36, just remind yourself that this the worst period and your blood sugars can improve after that. Another 15 days to go! I am excited and impatient to meet DS2!

I'm back down now after running around after a 4 year old at a birthday party.

Is anyone taking or planning to take RLT capsules or drink the tea? Most articles say it is beneficial to blood sugar but a few say the opposite!

Green tea works best for lowering blood sugar. If you could find decaf green tea, that might be worth trying. They don't have decaf green tea in Norway. Here is a an article on how well it works. https://www.pacificcollege.edu/acup...2-green-tea-lowers-the-blood-sugar-level.html

BTW, I found lentil chips here in Norway. Thanks for the tip :) They are delicious but a bit expensive since they import them from the UK.

Yeah I'm after using green tea to rescue my sugar levels a few times now.

I used RLT in my previous pregnancy and I'm not certain it did anything.

Amelie, hopefully you have been able to get some sleep! I finally did last night once I propped myself on 2 pillows. My numbers are still creeping up but we're at least all under today.

Good luck with the last two weeks Oneway! I am excited to hear that it might get better...
As for bringing sugars down, I've been eating ice. Terrible for your teeth, I am sure, but for some reason it seems to work. Not drastically, but a little nudge in the right direction. Oh and it horrifies my Chinese coworkers, so it is good for entertainment value too :)

In order to get to the levels they want me at I will practically have to eat nothing. I eat half of what I was eating a sugars are still high. Diabetes is really stressing me. They have me at 16 units on cloudy/ 10 units of Clear in the am & 8 units on cloudy/8 units of clear PM. Is this alot?

Babifever, doesn't sound like a whole lot to me. I'm assuming you have really high morning numbers with those cloudy units?

I'm taking 6 units of clear 3xs a day and 1 unit of cloudy at bed, but my morning numbers have only been up twice.

Well when you say "nothing" what are you eating? Like zero carbs at all? I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. :(

I'm sure nobody wants to hear anything I have to say since I'm not really in the same boat as any of you for some reason. My only advice is protein protein protein. The more protein you eat with your meals the better because it will help cut the absorption of the carbs you're eating. I was really bad this weekend and we went to a BBQ restaurant. Of course, the main thing on the menu is PROTEIN! So, I got some beef brisket and "burnt ends" (which is like the stuff they cut off the ribs - pork). It was yummy but I stuffed my face with protein and hardly ate anything else... I did eat a bit of mashed potatoes. But, this place has the most to die for banana pudding (has vanilla wafers in it and lots of whipped cream). So, I asked hubby to share one with me and we ate it! Was the first "real" desert I've eaten in like 6 months and it was close to orgasmic. Soooooo yummy. I thought I would pay for it an hour later - but nope, sugars were 108 (need to be under 140).

So, at least for me, the more protein I eat the more carbs I seem to be able to add in.

I'm still struggling with my fasting number and whether to "insulin or not to insulin". For a few days, without insulin, I was over the limit at like 92 and 94 ... so I started taking 10 units of my overnight insulin again. Then, my numbers were like 76 and 78 every morning. Last night, I skipped the insulin and it was just now at 84. So, I can't figure it out! I dunno what makes my number go into the 90's and what keeps it in the 80's. Sometimes I do the exact same thing before bed one night and then the next it will be over 90. Ugh! So frustrating!

I think it depends on what kind of protein you're eating. If it's also higher in fat, it delays your spike. Pizza effect, I've been told it's called. It delays your spike but holds it higher for hours. Cheese is famous for this.

I'm sick of it all, just wish I could carry on like nom diabetics. Sorry just getting frustrated with it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->