Gestational diabetes in previous pregnancies

lucy_x

Mummy To Two Stunners
Reaction score
So I had GD last time, was induced due to big baby at 38+3. It went away after birth, nothing confirmed since.

This time around mw has said they won't test again until 28 weeks, is this right? I was told with previous that if I was to get pregnant again they would test early, mw says they won't as iv not had it since....

So what about you? Will you be tested earlier?

Will let you know tomorrow, my GP wouldn't Gest for it but I KNOW I have it as carbs leave an awful rotten taste in my mouth, just like last time. I didn't need insulin though, I avoided too many carbs in my diet and upped veg and clean protein. My baby was 7 lbs 5 oz and I gained 24 lbs. this time I have twins though and everything is worse. I feel sick when I eat bread, noodles, rice, anything high starch/sugar carb content. Couldn't even think about eating ice cream, chocolate or sweets! Bleh:sick:
So it's week 16 and with twins I'm meant to gIn 30 lbs, I'm up 14 right now. It should be ok I think. Exercise also helps burn off all that extra sugar that your body can't absorb.
I've heard that some dieticians push carbs to GD women, have your ps done that previously? We're you on insulin?
Tomorrow I see the OB for the first time and she should have an idea if I should test early.

I was given a GTT at 13 weeks this time (and tested positive) as I had GD in my last pregnancy. I was given the option of monitoring my own sugars instead of the GTT as well. In your situation I would push for earlier testing or at least ask for a monitor so you can test your bloods at home.

I'm not sure that is right, I was offered the GTT at 16 & 28 weeks and my only risk factor was my grandmother having type 2 diabetes! So if you've had it before I would think they would also be testing you early, why don't you call the hospitals antenatal clinic to find out?x

I see the consultant at 19 weeks, I'm in no hurry to push as was diet controlled last time, and iv been testing blood sugars at home and they're all within a normal healthy range, my last baby they told me he would be 10lb 11Oz and that I should have a section, I refused and had a.natural drug.free 57 min labour and gave birth to a 8lb 9Oz baby, actually smaller than my first....

Will let you know tomorrow, my GP wouldn't Gest for it but I KNOW I have it as carbs leave an awful rotten taste in my mouth, just like last time. I didn't need insulin though, I avoided too many carbs in my diet and upped veg and clean protein. My baby was 7 lbs 5 oz and I gained 24 lbs. this time I have twins though and everything is worse. I feel sick when I eat bread, noodles, rice, anything high starch/sugar carb content. Couldn't even think about eating ice cream, chocolate or sweets! Bleh:sick:
So it's week 16 and with twins I'm meant to gIn 30 lbs, I'm up 14 right now. It should be ok I think. Exercise also helps burn off all that extra sugar that your body can't absorb.
I've heard that some dieticians push carbs to GD women, have your ps done that previously? We're you on insulin?
Tomorrow I see the OB for the first time and she should have an idea if I should test early.

Huge congratulations on your twins!
I walk over 7 miles a day, I'm much more active in this pregnancy than ever before (I'm a farmer now!)
I eat few carbs anyway, and they all come.from veg, I can't tolerate fruit atm.
Last time carbs were pushed, bread, pasta etc...but I don't have room for those in my diet now, I'm a meat and two veg kinda girl!

We shall see what happens, at the mo I'm home testing (not regularly admittedly, just when I remeber and fasting) and everything seems OK, I'm hoping to avoid a gtt if I tell them this!

It sounds like you have your head on straight:haha: i don't get why dieticians push carbs so hard when our bodies are clearly showing signs of not tolerating them well. Good on you for your exercise, your diet and for not letting them talk you into a section!
I feel like I have hormonal surges that effect my ability to tolerate carbs. Today is my birthday and I ate cake without getting sick. It was great! So I think it comes & goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->