Gestational Diabetes - NEED HELP!!!!!!!

GemM83

Reaction score
Guys

I desperately need some help/advice please as I am quite frankly at the end of my tether.

Bit of background…..I am 28 weeks and 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with GD. No family history, BMI fine, previous pregnancy nothing. I was just feeling a bit off one day and my step father who is Type 2 tested my bloods and they were high.

I called my midwife following day and was put straight through to diabetes nurse who got me straight in, gave me a monitoring kit and started testing……fast forward…and after diet changes, being put on full dose of Metformin, Humulin insulin just before I go to bed, my Nurse has now upped my Humulin to every morning and evening (increased dose) and has introduced ANOTHER insulin 15 minutes before every meal. All dosages are to be increased until my numbers get down to under the magic 5.0 and 7.0’s. Seems REALLY excessive!!!

It appears that I can’t ANYTHING!!!! I have been given some options/recipes, but I just don’t have the time. I work full time in administration…leave house at 6.15am and due to school/childcare with DD I don’t get home till 7pm. Once DH (gets home at 7.30pm) and I have eaten, bathed, wound down etc I am so exhausted I am in bed by 9pm. My Dietician is next to useless. Whilst she means well she is giving me options for meals which just aren’t viable for me. She suggested having poached eggs for breakfast. I don’t want to be cooking/eating poached eggs at 5 in the morning!! Lunches are ok, I just survive on lettuce leaves, but dinners are a real pain. She is expecting me to cook everything from scratch. Having NO pasta, potatoes, rice et all. I just can’t do it, and its really starting to upset me. I am trying my best! I have just had a thin slice of seeded rye bread (which dietician has said is OK) and a yoghurt for breakfast and I am still high L

I have looked on line for inspiration, but appears a lot of Mums commenting putting ideas forward are either working part time/not working because otherwise I have no idea how they are fitting all this prep and cooking into their days!!!!

Do any working Mum’s who have had GD have ANY suggestions for me? It really getting me down.

Sorry for long post and Tia x

View attachment 1059995

Last edited:
It sounds like u may not be eating enough food.
Im.only very recently diagnosed.
But I think.I got it because I was struggling to eat with reflux and eating all the wrong things
I get shopping delivered, which saves time.
I use oat cakes a lot. They r ready made, filling and u can vary the toppings.
I wasnt told no.potatoes.
Just a measuredbit portion
So I cook a big pot and if u can.eat them, then make pot salad, takes two secs.
Or have boiled as is
Boil eggs in.advance. leave in fridge.
I make porridge bread. I find it better than other breads.
If u hve anyone else to help , ask for help.
Someone to give u an hour at the weekend to.prep some stuff.
Best of luck hon.
I am very new to.it so maybe someone else has better advice.
Never fast too long.
Max 8_10 hrs overnight.
Even eating a cracker or oatcake if u get up to pee at night.
I often use protein as snack.
Half banana and some chicken.
No.prep

I work as an ED doctor so believe me I know how to eat quick (and healthy meals). When I got pregnant I had just dropped 3 stone in 2 months to get under the weight limit for IVF.

Poached eggs on toast in the morning takes me less time than for the kettle to boil for my cuppa (although having an induction hob helps) and is a really lovely filling breakfast. I use Tesco finest seeded whole meal small loaves which have only 80ish cal per slice. Loads of meals can be made in less than 20 mins eg stir fry with noodles (you can use konjac noodles for extra low carb/cal), or just stir fry a mix of veg and prawns with some fresh chilli, garlic, ginger and soy. It takes only a few mins if you have pre cut veg either from supermarket or you have cut it up and frozen or stored it ready prepped in the fridge. We also eat lots of “meat & 2 veg” ie an oven baked piece of fresh fish with a pile of steamed veg (less than 20 mins - we would usually have a variety of 3 types of veg such as broccoli, peas, kale, carrot, spinach, cavalo Nero etc etc), or an oven baked chicken breast or a slab of red meat done on the George Foreman grill or even in a frying pan. My other half used to swear that carbs were utterly required to avoid meltdown, but guess what......has learned quickly it isn’t necessary to add them to every meal in the way of rice/potatoes/bread. Neither of us miss them really.

All these are dead quick. We make up sugar free jelly or angel delight low sugar in batches so we have quick and easy puddings.

We also make soups in batches and freeze to take to work as and when, and make salads for a few days to just be able to add eg a bit of cheese or salmon or tuna or egg on the day and get out the door to work.

Slow cooker, veg steamer, foreman grill and batch cooking one weekend every month are your friend.

Thank you for your responses

Numbers have been good the last 5 days (although insulin controlled) my diabetes nurse just thinks I'm intolerant of all foods!!

Had growth scan today and measuring 32-33 weeks instead of my actual 28+4. Having insulin raised to monitor over next 2 weeks. Fingers crossed that they stay constant and even

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->