Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I need a pumping/expressing schedule, can anyone help me out?

I need a pumping/expressing schedule, can anyone help me out?

Do you exclusively express or does your lo breastfeed as well? Seems to me I read somewhere you combi-feed too? Sorry if I'm mistaken. Roughly how much will you need per feed & per day. And how much can you express at a time?

At the moment about 1-2oz not much at all. I have to combination feed. I have just started back on domperidone after running out and my supply going to what it is now. I'm also on fenugreek and blessed thistle. We are trying to work on breastfeeding again, but for now it's getting my supply up and having some milk to store. On average she drinks between 100mls and 250mls a feed, but if she doesn't drink it all I just let her drink it later.

The goal is to be exclusively bfing again within 3 months.

Nurse nurse nurse .. That's the only way to get your supply up to your babies needs.. In between nursing I'd pump too..
That and drink TONS of water .. 2+ liters a day!

Nurse nurse nurse .. That's the only way to get your supply up to your babies needs.. In between nursing I'd pump too..
That and drink TONS of water .. 2+ liters a day!

I already drink 4+ litres of water a day. I pump and express but at the moment I cannot nurse. Not with any efficiency any way. Not enough there and she gets fussy after 10 seconds because she cannot get any (latch is fine etcetera).
thanks for the advice though.

Your baby is more efficient than a pump... I'd still latch her on as often as possible..

I would pump every 2-3 hours if you can including at least one overnight. I probably would pump as much as you can stand overnight.
Some thoughts on helping with the BFing, you can ignore if you like: If you can do it you may try pumping on one side while trying to feed on the other. It could help get them both going so LO is less frustrated at the breast. I was having problems with a slow letdown that was frustrating LO and I used the pump to get me ready to let down and then popped her on quickly.

Also- Not sure what your help with LO is like but I've always noticed that after 2 night of DD being up A TON! (like every hour) that my supply the next day is a lot higher. Also pump for a while after nothing is coming out.

Can anyone advise on how to encourage my 5 week old to take a bottle?
I have been expressing since fairly early as I really want dh to be involved and need to be able to leave her with my parents from time to time in the future.
She has taken a few bottles from dh, but then this week refused and screamed. She really enjoys to suckle from me, especially on last feed in the evening. I've tried using newborn teats, but dh says she just won't entertain it! She also will not take a dummy.
I really don't want this to affect the bf'ing as its going really well!
Hope this makes sense?
Thank you!
Xxx

Ideally, you shouldn't be expressing until 6-8 weeks when your supply has regulated. Expressing early on can lead to an oversupply as breastfeeding is supply and demand. Also, a bottle shouldn't be introduced until breastfeeding is well established. Your OH can do LOADS of other things besides feed. Trust me, they get board with it QUICK!

When it comes time to leave your LO with your parents, they will most likely take a bottle with little issue. If you are around, LO is most likely going to want you.

You also don't want them to get too used to the bottle because it's easier to get milk from a bottle than a breast.

HTH :flower:

but don't wait too long or they'll never take it LOL i waited till 3 months with J and have tried ever since... she's almost 1... still won't take one. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't :wacko:

At this age, if breastfeeding is well established and you use very slow flow nipples you should be able to feed a bottle a day. I introduced a bottle a day when my LO was 4 weeks because I went back to work at 10 weeks. LO takes a bottle and loves nursing. We did go through some times where she was trying to only get a bottle but I forced her to only nurse when we were together after I went back to work.
Make sure to pump any time you give a bottle to keep your supply up!
As for trying to get her to take a bottle, try leaving the room or leaving the house when you OH gives the bottle. Sometimes if the baby can smell you they won't take the bottle. It is a pain to bottle feed a young baby and my DH gave up giving a bottle as soon as we didn't need him to feed her. It just wasn't the best way fro him to bond with her. Now that she's older, she plays with him and loves him. They bonded just fine!

Have you tried different makes of bottle? We struggled to get dd to take a bottle and finally managed to get her to take the cheap narrow neck ones from boots or tesco. Do be very careful though as giving bottles often does lead to supply issues and ending breastfeeding early.

Thanks for the advice. Im going to wait till next weekend when dh is off then he can try on a feed when she is definitely hungry. Im going to get hold of some different bottles too.

Just wanted to add from my experience it isn't worth the pumping time ..
My DH bonded fine without feeding her.
She's 10.5 months old now and takes a sippy cup just fine, only ones that have a plastic teat though.. Silicone or whatever she just chews on.. So no bottle or pacifier here .

we tried first bottles around 3 months..failed miserably...but by 4 months she was taking one just fine as needed. i went back to work at 5 months so it was essential. now she takes one when she really is hungry but she pretty much holds out for me, which is fine because my DH who is home with her all day can get her to drink milk from a glass or just give her some solids if she won't take bottle.

but even after she was taking a bottle regularly at 4 months or so, she still had days/weeks where she refused...they are finicky creatures!!!

if you feel strongly about having your LO take a bottle for whatever reason, just keep after it. it may take some persistence, patience and time :) not all babies take to it, but a lot of babies successfully bottle and breast feed. good luck!

I had a moment of weakness today where I thought "ugh to hell with Breastfeeding". I didn't really mean it but i'm just kind of jealous of DH and how he gets to just hold Kenny and stuff when he wants, and go to work, but I am so tethered. I feel like a milk machine. It would be so much easier to just bottle feed or do formula. I found myself counting saying ok ill do it for another month, or two , but maybe not a year . But I WANT to do it for Kenny. I want to give him the gift of breast milk it's just tiring I guess. Anyone relate to how I'm feeling?

I feel like I want to start pumping but I know it's too early and I don't want to mess up my supply. I just wish DH could give him a bottle once a day and my breasts could get a break but just pumping instead of nursing.

I just need a little encouragement that I can do this. I though I would love breast feeding but instead I am associating with lack of sleep and being tied down. :(

Oh Jokerette, don't worry at all! It's so SO normal to be feeling that at this early stage - I know I did, and I bet most mums do too! It's a 'labour of love' definitely - you have to overcome whatever obsatacles you may get in the beginning, but it is so worth it, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->