Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi girls, wonder if you could help me with a wee feeding problem I'm having with my LO.

He's been exclusively breastfed since birth with no problems at all so far apart from occasional thrashing about & pulling when he needs to do a poo.

Over the last couple of weeks he's been doing a weird thing when he's feeding, he feeds & sucks consistently for the first 5-10 minutes, then starts to pull off. He obviously wants back on cause his mouth is open & his tongue out but as soon as he latches on he pulls off again with his back arched & then he cries. I thought at first that he might just be finished on that side but if I give my boob a squeeze there's still milk spurting out so I know that's not the problem. I feel like I have to hold his head in & even then he only takes a few sucks before he starts the whole pulling off/crying thing again.

If I switch him to the other side he does the exact same thing, sucks for 5-10 mins then pulls off cries again. I end up switching sides several times during the feed just to make sure he's taking enough milk.

The thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, sometimes seversl days can pass when he doesn't so it at all, then there's days like today when he's done it for his past 3 feeds.

I thought it might be silent reflux or wind? The back arching makes me think he's probably in a bit of pain or discomfort. I've had him on infacol but I thought I might stop it & see how he is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey girls,

Just to let you know that we ended up going to the GP & LO has silent reflux. He had a couple of other symptoms that I wasn't sure were related like a cough & a hoarse cry, he's been put on gaviscon so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for your advice!!!

Glad you got a diagnosis, hopefully after treatment, the feeds will get better for you!

Anyone got any experience of taking domperidone? I know it's OTC and my dr just told me to formula feed which I absolutely refuse to do. Not sure of dose etc

Reason I think I need it is my supply keeps tanking every few weeks. LO feeds constantly, I mean constantly and it's not comfort sucking, these are sucks to get milk out. His weight gain slows down these weeks and much less wet nappies. It's because I'm having to use nipple shields as he won't latch. I'm trying everything to get him off them but everyone says he just needs to get bigger.

I'm doing all the usual things to increase supply but I'm exhausted and have no time that I'm not pumping/feeding. Fenugreek seems to have stopped working - I don't smell of it any more at least which is sposed to be the sign that you're taking enough.

My supply was great up to 5w and since then it's been up down up down.

Bloody no support at all from hv. Told me to give him a bottle and wait for my boobs to fill up.

cranberry, it could well just be growth-spurts .. :shurg: ... babies that young often tend to feed a LOT.

Maybe the nipple shields are causing a problem. Growth spurts would explain increased feeding but not less wet nappies. Have you tried going to a breastfeeding clinic to work on the latch problem or to a lactation consultant?

I'm sure it is the shields. I've seen everyone and tried everything tbh. General consensus seems to be that his jaw is too far back, got squashed during birth. Seeing a cranial osteo but need to keep my supply going til that brings his jaw forward enough

My baby always seems still hungry after a feed?
I can't say if she's been gaining weight adequately because we've been supplementing with formula (trying to wean her off)

But is it normal for her to still act hungry after feeding on the breast? Also the lactation consultant told me to let her be on the breast as much as possible, even if it's only comfort sucking, but her pediatrician told me to take her off after 15 minutes on each side because then she's burning more calories sucking then she is taking in?

It's 8:45pm and she's only had 3oz of formula today, so we are weaning down! (excited about that!!)

Let her feed as much as she wants! Our first pediatrician (resident at the regional children's hospital) told me at 2 weeks that LO should only be eating 5 minutes on each side at a time! :dohh: don't listen to them! She can eat as long as she wants. She's can't really be burning that many calories lightly sucking and she'll likely elicit more let-downs while she's doing that so she will get more milk. Up until about 3 months old I let LO unlatch herself. Great job weaning her off the formula!

Thank you! Although she's never unlatched herself! One time I fed her for 4 hours straight! Most of the time,when I don't unlatch, it kinda falls out of her mouth, and she stays asleep. :haha:

Ah, the early days! Now she feeds for 20 seconds unlatches, looks around to see if anyone was talking to her and then latches back on, in the meantime I'm left hanging...literally!:haha:

That sounds exactly like my LO. She would feed forever and not unlatch but I just let her and when she did unlatch she was totally asleep. She still nurses to sleep.

Had a hectic few weeks. As a few of you know, I have to combi-feed and I'm on domperidone, fenugreek and blessed thistle to try and help my supply. It was working wonderfully, until I ran out of domperidone and cannot get to the doctor until Monday to get another script. So within 3 day my supply went from brilliant to nothing. I'm expressing every hour today, I'm hoping that will at least keep some milk there, I'm terrified of drying up, it's my biggest stress at the moment. Plus my thrush is back! :growlmad:

My baby always seems still hungry after a feed?
I can't say if she's been gaining weight adequately because we've been supplementing with formula (trying to wean her off)

But is it normal for her to still act hungry after feeding on the breast? Also the lactation consultant told me to let her be on the breast as much as possible, even if it's only comfort sucking, but her pediatrician told me to take her off after 15 minutes on each side because then she's burning more calories sucking then she is taking in?

It's 8:45pm and she's only had 3oz of formula today, so we are weaning down! (excited about that!!)

This sounds really normal! Sophie used to feed from 7pm-2am straight without a break every single night for about 6 weeks. It's just your LO building up your supply. I thought she'd never come off the boob ever and I'd still be feeding her for hours when she's 16 :rofl:.

Now she finishes a feed within 5-10 minutes (including the last one before bed ).

My advice is to just let your baby nurse and drink and suckle as much as she wants. Your baby knows better than anyone else how long she should be on there and how often :)!

Good luck with the weaning off formula!! :hugs:.

Thank you! Although she's never unlatched herself! One time I fed her for 4 hours straight! Most of the time,when I don't unlatch, it kinda falls out of her mouth, and she stays asleep. :haha:

TOTALLY normal :thumbup: Baby is getting your supply up, and getting comfort from you.
And you're definitely doing the right thing weaning her off the formula, that can wreak havoc with your supply in the early months.

Yeah, letting them unlatch themselves is very similar to if you pull your nipple out, they don't latch back on or hang on :)

You're doing very well! :)

i think she has a lip tie, but not sure what a regular gum would look like to compare

I started a post about it, but I was wondering if any of the champions have any expertise in vasospams? Do they heal themselves eventually? or is there something I should be doing if that's indeed my problem?

Hello :wave: This is a fantastic area & what lovely ladies to spare their time to help others :friends:

Im expecting my DD2 in 10 days time & am already anxious about b/f her

I always suffer from terrible over supply, which usually result in blocked ducts & even mastitus, leaving me in lots of pain :cry:

I b/f DS2 for 4 months, before finally giving up due to the oversupply not letting up :nope:

I b/f DD for just 5 weeks & im suprised I even got that far, she suffered with silent reflux & would often just take the fore-milk, which made my oversupply go even crazier :wacko:

I would really appreciate having a b/f champion for support, someone that knows how hard oversupply can be

I come across alot of people telling me im lucky to not have undersupply, but I would say its hard to have either :cry:

I have gone through the list of b/f champions & am thinking of mayby the following ladies:

m_t_rose

shareema

Wishingonastar

Please let me know if anyone else thinks they may be able to support me :flower: Thankyou in advance

:wave: Glad you popped over :) Feel free to PM those ladies. I'm sure they will be more than happy to help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->