Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Could be over supply.. just feed on demand.
Is your LO swallowing?
Or does he pull off during a let down?

is this for me?

Could be over supply.. just feed on demand.
Is your LO swallowing?
Or does he pull off during a let down?

yes,he does swallow, actually he gulps quite a bit.

Sounds to me like you have a lot of milk !

Does your LO sometimes choke / cough while on the breast?

can i rudely butt in on this conversation and say that when i feed on my left breast he starts to choke and has to come off to catch his breath, does that mean my milk lets down too fast on that side?

can i rudely butt in on this conversation and say that when i feed on my left breast he starts to choke and has to come off to catch his breath, does that mean my milk lets down too fast on that side?

You could have a fast letdown yes..
https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

thanks for the link, it all makes sense because i thought my baby was suffering from reflux but maybe its just an oversupply of milk.

Sounds to me like you have a lot of milk !

Does your LO sometimes choke / cough while on the breast?

he did cough a couple of times, but it's not frequent
i thought i might have an oversupply (mainly on one breast - is that possible?) but then, many of the symptoms overlap with other diagnosis (reflux etc )

Well you say your boob is always full .. Meaning you have a lot of milk in there.
And if he's still eating fine..

Why do you think reflux ?

Well you say your boob is always full .. Meaning you have a lot of milk in there.
And if he's still eating fine..

Why do you think reflux ?

because at night he will not settle if it's not upright, and sometimes seems quite upset after eating

kosh :hugs:, I hope your results come back fine

with regards to the problems it does sound a bit like a oversupply issue which might be causing bubs to gulp milk down ver quickly and therefore take in lots of air too. Is he pulling his legs up to his chest as well after a feed? Might be worth trying to burp his half way through a feed too, or at least inbetween breasts. My LO used to suffer badly from wind until about 12wks and he would act like you LO sounds xxx

with regards to the problems it does sound a bit like a oversupply issue which might be causing bubs to gulp milk down ver quickly and therefore take in lots of air too. Is he pulling his legs up to his chest as well after a feed? Might be worth trying to burp his half way through a feed too, or at least inbetween breasts. My LO used to suffer badly from wind until about 12wks and he would act like you LO sounds xxx

thanks caro :hugs:

yes, i think you and lilly12 are right - it can be an oversupply.
i think i got confused because reading other similar cases, they had been diagnosed with reflux, and also becasue I thought oversupply and forceful letdown go always together (do they?) and I didn't think I had forceful let down..(he does not pull off during let down)
also,can you have an oversupply just on one breast?

Ozzies mum - thanks for replieing im home now! And still havelumpy boobs even after she eats?

Ozzie mum- and i was feeding on demand but they didnt call me to feed her untill she was screeeming!! so she wud have eaten alot earlier if they called me to the unit to feed her when she started showing signs

Sorry it took so long for me to reply! Was just settlin at home n were moving house too so super busy! and thanks so much for ur advice bixie!! Super helpful xx

So at home now my boobs r less engored but still sore and lumpy because i have so much millk she never finishes one breast so i have to pump n then i give her tht milk from a bottle.. i am trying hard but its taking forever to get it right and becoz my booobs r so big and nipples so low positioning is hard but the rugbyball position works best but not great

Youngwife - have you got a nursing pillow? I have big boobs, and found that was the only way I could reliably feed for ages.

If you pump milk, your body still thinks it needs to make more milk .

I'd just let baby nurse, after a few days or so your body will catch up and figure out how much milk to make.
Also you can only do 1 breast at a time, or 1 breast for 2 feeds (block feeding).
This will help with oversupply .

I'd just let baby nurse, after a few days or so your body will catch up and figure out how much milk to make.
Also you can only do 1 breast at a time, or 1 breast for 2 feeds (block feeding).
This will help with oversupply .

This. :thumbup:

Also you can only do 1 breast at a time, or 1 breast for 2 feeds (block feeding). This will help with oversupply .

is this what you think I should do too?
(why doea 1 breast per feed help with oversupply?)

Also you can only do 1 breast at a time, or 1 breast for 2 feeds (block feeding). This will help with oversupply .

is this what you think I should do too?
(why doea 1 breast per feed help with oversupply?)

Because the more baby nurses, the more millk you make.
If you let baby nurse on 1 side, twice, AND baby will get more hindmilk, AND it'll signal your body to make less milk since that breast isn't stimulated that often.

thanks caro :hugs:

yes, i think you and lilly12 are right - it can be an oversupply.
i think i got confused because reading other similar cases, they had been diagnosed with reflux, and also becasue I thought oversupply and forceful letdown go always together (do they?) and I didn't think I had forceful let down..(he does not pull off during let down)
also,can you have an oversupply just on one breast?

yup what Lilly said. Also if one boob has been over stimulated or just went a bit crazy initially i don't see why you couldn't have over supply with just one boob! your def best just letting baby feed as she wants which will regulate your supply best, might leave you a bit uncomfortable and leaky for a while but its the quickest way to give your body the message it doesn't need so much milk!

Alex never pulled off either but milk used to come out his nose :rofl:, which did kinda tell me it was too much for him to handle! but if bubs can keep up then you wouldn't notice whether you had a forceful letdown or not. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->