Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi ladies,

I'm Laura, i'm 27 and i have been brest feeding for 2 weeks and 4 days..

When i had my DD, (who's nearly 3), i tried and failed with brestfeeding due to inverted nipples, i beat myself up about it so much, so this time around, i bought a nipplette and used it all through my pregnancy, which means i can feed my little boy now...

The main problem i have is that he lateches bautifully onto the right, opening his mouth extra wide etc, and i seem to have plenty of milk supply on that side too.. But on my left, he can't turn his head properly to get any where near my nipple, to get latched on etc, so i'm using a different hold on my left to my right, could this be why my milk supply is different?

And also, i have found that it hurts for maybe a little bit longer than what seems normal? I read somewhere that i can hurt for 10-20 seconds, then it should stop etc, but i would say that it's more like 45-60 seconds before it stops... i also find my self delaying latch on because i don't want to have the pain, even thoguh i know it'll stop, which makes me feel awful for my baby..

Does the pain stop? i know it's mostly mind over matter etc, but sometimes i'm in tears knowing how much it'll hurt etc.. I am very happy that i've got this far, and i do not want to give up!

xxxx
Im not a bf champion but i was just wondering why your little lad has to turn his head to feed? his tummy should be to your tummy so he shouldnt have to turn his head, could that be why you are so sore? if ive read it wrong i apologise.

Hi Laura, congratulations on your little boy!
I use a different hold for each side, I use cross cradle for my left and rugby hold for my right, just out of what feels best for us, and it hasn't seemed to affect my supply. If you find your baby's turning his head with the cradle hold how about starting with cross cradle where you have your hand under his head, and can maybe help his positioning a bit better? Then you can change to a cradle once he's on or just stick with cross cradle. Have you got a breastfeeding drop in near you? They are really good! xxx

i was basically thinking what nervous_1 suggested with double feeding on the left side. Also i know you have an older toddler, but what about trying to nurse laying down?? i had to nurse laying down with J for a different reason, but she took to it like a pro (although some babies don`t so if its not for you then its not for you) but finding a comfy position for you both will only help :)

Yep I agree with laying down to feed! Awesomeness :)

have a quick question, hoping to get some help!

i had low supply, diagnosed by my LC. took some herbs and it fixed it. my LO got a milk imbalance for a couple days. that cleared up and everything was fine. a week later i decided to take the pills for a day to up it a bit more so i could pump one bottle a day for DH to feed while i take a shower. my supply went crazy and i produced an enormous amount, but still could only pump out an ounce. LO got milk imbalance again. for a week now i have been block feeding and nothing had really changed. staying engorged most of the day, choking baby, etc. today i woke up and im not engorged at all, semi squishy. even though i have been trying to fix this for a week, it still worries me that i have made my supply low again and he wont have enough. :wacko: i dont know what to do today now. feed him one side at a time??? he was still showing signs of being imbalanced as of yesterday.

anyone with info/experience with all this would be very appreciated!

What do you mean by "imbalanced"?
Fore milk imbalance?
What were the signs?

I think you won't have a low milk supply over night, your body probably has caught up.
Just keep feeding your baby .. I'd stop blockfeeding for now.

thanks lilly!

yes, i meant fore and hindmilk imbalance. believe its from oversupply/letdown. he gags, chokes, and spits up while trying to eat. explosive runny poo, gassy all day, diaper rash from the poo, eats constantly all day, very cranky even while eating, sometimes frothy poo (some green in it sometimes too). i was putting him on both sides for each feeding even when i got engorged. didnt realize there was a change in milk half through until he got bad and i researched it.

so do i just do one side per feed today?

There isn't a change in milk halfway through a feed; this is a myth; instead its a gradual change over throughout the feed. An oversupply can mean though that the bulk of the feed is made up of more of the lactose-rich, watery milk (the 'foremilk') and less of the high fat milk, hence the lactose overload symptoms xx

There isn't a change in milk halfway through a feed; this is a myth; instead its a gradual change over throughout the feed. An oversupply can mean though that the bulk of the feed is made up of more of the lactose-rich, watery milk (the 'foremilk') and less of the high fat milk, hence the lactose overload symptoms xx

i read that too. i didnt mean to say exactly halfway through, just that he is imbalanced

I would feed on one side blessed. I always just fed O on one side each feed and then swapped sides for the next feed. At first I did feed her on both sides, switching after 10 min or so and she had more frothy green poo at times...so I went with the one sided feeding and it really worked well for us. You are doing great hun! SO SO proud of you!

thank you membas!!!! you have been an excellent support for me, im so thankful:hugs: its so confusing trying to figure out what to do and whats going wrong, not to mention whether he is getting what he needs. its overwhelming at times. :wacko:

it seemed like my supply went from being way over abundant this last week to very slim today. tonight it seems like he isnt getting enough. i dont want to give him a bottle, but i am worried about him. i just want him to get as much as he needs to be healthy and not have to think about all the details so much. its been one thing after another from latch probs to nipple pain to supply issues and i can deal with all that. it just breaks my heart to see him be effected so much by it though with the rash and tummy aches

if you think your supply is low can you just let him nurse as much as possible for the next few days--see if he can regulate your supply for you. even if it means he's on you all day and night for a bit. he's likely getting enough...my breasts hardly ever feel engorged, or "full" and often they are soft but O has been thriving on what they provide, so don't let that be your measure for how much milk you make. that being said if you are concerned then do what you feel is best. after he feeds does he still act hungry or while feeding does he get frustrated by a lack of milk?

keep up the good work. i know you feed on demand, so keep that up, and let him cluster feed and perhaps he'll get your supply up if it is low. but like i said, you might not be low--appearance of breasts really don't mean much i don't think. at least for my own experience. :hugs:

Agree with Membas! Just feed feed feed!
It's so hard all isn't it? Knowing if you're doing it right!

I would just feed feed feed and feed a bit more! In these early days and months it might something feel like he'll never come off the boob, but keep an eye on his nappies and weight. If he's gaining and having plenty wet and dirty nappies he's getting enough.

There's growth spurts and all sorts in the first 6 months as well. So there will be times and days he'll be on you lots and lots!

My boobs haven't felt full since my supply regulated! Even in the morning, 12 hours after the last feed I don't feel full!

thanks so much ladies! he is pretty much on the boob all day anyways, so nothing new. even when he is done eating he uses me as a binky :dohh:

yesterday he did fine all day til evening. i can tell when he has emptied one side cuz he pulls at it and gets all fussy. i had to put him on both sides a couple times each for his last feed. he usually eats from 10-11. we made it through without a bottle. i think im just gonna do some breast massages today while he is eating to hopefully get some fat to him and switch sides with each feed. :shrug:

remember blessed that he is due to go through a growth spurt so that could be why hes always feeding, plus around now would be when your body adjusts to producing milk and you wont ever feel so full again or thats what we were told at the lll meetings anyway.

:hugs:thanks tricia! you have been so awesome to me. he hasnt been eating as much the past few days. a couple days after i started block feeding last week he slowed down a bit. think he is finally getting to the fat so staying full and not trying to eat to help his tummy ache. he is just always on there cuz he keeps chewing after he is asleep. i know from my FF babies what he will be like when he gets ready for his spurt and he isnt crazy eating like that. i didnt up their formula just fed them more often for the first few months. he will be 6 weeks tuesday, so anytime now he will start :flower:

eta: im certain he was having fore/hindmilk imbalance and not a growth spurt. his symptoms were very characteristic of the imbalance. i just didnt realize until i started researching it. i know around 6-8 weeks my supply will regulate to him too :)

theres a growth spurt @ 2-3 days , 7 days, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks.... never ending in the early days!
I remember sitting on the couch feeding her literally all day .. glad that's over :haha:

:hugs:thanks tricia! you have been so awesome to me. he hasnt been eating as much the past few days. a couple days after i started block feeding last week he slowed down a bit. think he is finally getting to the fat so staying full and not trying to eat to help his tummy ache. he is just always on there cuz he keeps chewing after he is asleep. i know from my FF babies what he will be like when he gets ready for his spurt and he isnt crazy eating like that. i didnt up their formula just fed them more often for the first few months. he will be 6 weeks tuesday, so anytime now he will start :flower:

eta: im certain he was having fore/hindmilk imbalance and not a growth spurt. his symptoms were very characteristic of the imbalance. i just didnt realize until i started researching it. i know around 6-8 weeks my supply will regulate to him too :)
you know your baby best hun, it was just a thought x x

theres a growth spurt @ 2-3 days , 7 days, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks.... never ending in the early days!
I remember sitting on the couch feeding her literally all day .. glad that's over :haha:

:haha: Some days, I miss it. Alex is a very busy little boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->