Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I need some help guys. Jacob was 7wks old yesterday and breastfeeding was going well up until a few days ago. Now when I latch him on its fine for about a minute then he starts making clicking noises and then hes off. Each feed is so frustrating now because he is constantly on and off for the whole feed. I can't understand what I'm doing wrong. Do you have any idea? I literally spend each feed crying with frustration.

I need some help guys. Jacob was 7wks old yesterday and breastfeeding was going well up until a few days ago. Now when I latch him on its fine for about a minute then he starts making clicking noises and then hes off. Each feed is so frustrating now because he is constantly on and off for the whole feed. I can't understand what I'm doing wrong. Do you have any idea? I literally spend each feed crying with frustration.

His latch is too shallow. The clicking you are hearing is the suction breaking :flower:

His latch is too shallow. The clicking you are hearing is the suction breaking :flower:

but why would this develop all of a sudden? we have been going great for weeks before this, all of our health professions have commented on his great latch so why now at 7wks would his latch not be good enough?

I don't really know why it would change all of a sudden, all I can think of is he's growing a lot right now and something could have changed in the growth of his mouth and now his latch is shallow whereas it was fine before.

but why would this develop all of a sudden? we have been going great for weeks before this, all of our health professions have commented on his great latch so why now at 7wks would his latch not be good enough?

A few brill links from 'kellymom' - invaluable website for everything breastfeeding :thumbup:

V specific to your issue: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/clicking-when-nursing/

How to get latching sorted - https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

Don't give up hope hun, you WILL get it down - it's a huge new skill for both of you to learn :hugs::hugs:

i think sometimes once babies get the hang of bf'ing they can get lazy about it... i know j did/has...

Can I get suggestions on getting LO to re-latch? As you know we've had some problems and it is too the point where she won't latch almost at all and has mild flow-preference. Help me, I'll be damned if I'm giving up.

do you mean that she unlatches when she's waiting for the let down out of frusteration and won't relatch after?? If thats the case i had something similar except J would pop on and off and cry in frusteration and sometimes it would take several minutes to get the let down going and the she was fine. I would suggest that you drink LOTS and LOTS of water... like 4 liters a day is what helped me. When i drank tons of water, my let down was way way quicker. also something else that seems silly but actually worked for me was every time i felt the letdown (if you can't feel it, go by when LO starts to swallow) i would picture rivers of milk flowing and other milk related things like cows LOL and after a few weeks of that i was able to picture the stuff in my head and the letdown would almost happen on command!!

OR you could try to get your letdown going via a pump before you latch LO the first time and once the milk is flowing latch her on :flower:

HTH

Can I get suggestions on getting LO to re-latch? As you know we've had some problems and it is too the point where she won't latch almost at all and has mild flow-preference. Help me, I'll be damned if I'm giving up.

do you mean that she unlatches when she's waiting for the let down out of frusteration and won't relatch after?? If thats the case i had something similar except J would pop on and off and cry in frusteration and sometimes it would take several minutes to get the let down going and the she was fine. I would suggest that you drink LOTS and LOTS of water... like 4 liters a day is what helped me. When i drank tons of water, my let down was way way quicker. also something else that seems silly but actually worked for me was every time i felt the letdown (if you can't feel it, go by when LO starts to swallow) i would picture rivers of milk flowing and other milk related things like cows LOL and after a few weeks of that i was able to picture the stuff in my head and the letdown would almost happen on command!!

OR you could try to get your letdown going via a pump before you latch LO the first time and once the milk is flowing latch her on :flower:

HTH
Thanks for the late reply. She no longer latches at all. Going to try and relactate, but I don't like my chances.

i think sometimes once babies get the hang of bf'ing they can get lazy about it... i know j did/has...

This is what I was going to say. Sometimes, they just get lazy and you have to unlatch and relatch making sure their mouths are open wide. :)

went to see someone today and the problem is my fast let down, he unlatches to try and control the amount hes getting.

Leopard - I would go right back to basics.

Lots of skin to skin - a few duvet days maybe called for if you can. Just you and baby in bed, you naked from the waist up and only a nappy on baby. Keep LO at the breast - don't force her to latch - let her come to the breast in her own time. Eventually she should start to root. :thumbup:

Obviously I don't know your situation but I would do this for the entire day - a few days if possible. I would only leave LO to get a shower, use the toilet express milk or make food. It's best if baby is at the breast for each feed and also for comfort sucking. :thumbup: All of these things will increase supply and hopefully your babys inclination to nurse.

If baby will not activly feed then I would recommend expressing every 2 - 3 hours to build and maintain supply.

When offering formula also offer the breast before, after and in between feedings to help baby become reacustomed to BF.

When offering a bottle it's best to use a teat that is slow flow. That way there is less chance LO will grow to prefer the bottle over the breast due to the faster and easier feed from the bottle.

Expressing a little milk onto the nipple can help coax baby to feed.

Try the above and hopefully you will get some improvement soon :hugs::hugs:

Leopard - I would go right back to basics.

Lots of skin to skin - a few duvet days maybe called for if you can. Just you and baby in bed, you naked from the waist up and only a nappy on baby. Keep LO at the breast - don't force her to latch - let her come to the breast in her own time. Eventually she should start to root. :thumbup:

Obviously I don't know your situation but I would do this for the entire day - a few days if possible. I would only leave LO to get a shower, use the toilet express milk or make food. It's best if baby is at the breast for each feed and also for comfort sucking. :thumbup: All of these things will increase supply and hopefully your babys inclination to nurse.

If baby will not activly feed then I would recommend expressing every 2 - 3 hours to build and maintain supply.

When offering formula also offer the breast before, after and in between feedings to help baby become reacustomed to BF.

When offering a bottle it's best to use a teat that is slow flow. That way there is less chance LO will grow to prefer the bottle over the breast due to the faster and easier feed from the bottle.

Expressing a little milk onto the nipple can help coax baby to feed.

Try the above and hopefully you will get some improvement soon :hugs::hugs:
We did all this, she hasn't latched since like 12 weeks now. She's 20 weeks. Thanks though.

Hi ladies,

I'm Laura, i'm 27 and i have been brest feeding for 2 weeks and 4 days..

When i had my DD, (who's nearly 3), i tried and failed with brestfeeding due to inverted nipples, i beat myself up about it so much, so this time around, i bought a nipplette and used it all through my pregnancy, which means i can feed my little boy now...

The main problem i have is that he lateches bautifully onto the right, opening his mouth extra wide etc, and i seem to have plenty of milk supply on that side too.. But on my left, he can't turn his head properly to get any where near my nipple, to get latched on etc, so i'm using a different hold on my left to my right, could this be why my milk supply is different?

And also, i have found that it hurts for maybe a little bit longer than what seems normal? I read somewhere that i can hurt for 10-20 seconds, then it should stop etc, but i would say that it's more like 45-60 seconds before it stops... i also find my self delaying latch on because i don't want to have the pain, even thoguh i know it'll stop, which makes me feel awful for my baby..

Does the pain stop? i know it's mostly mind over matter etc, but sometimes i'm in tears knowing how much it'll hurt etc.. I am very happy that i've got this far, and i do not want to give up!

xxxx

It will stop hun :hugs: in my case I know that I used to really get quite tense when feeding from a more painful side, and I think that actually made things worse too, so if you possibly can try and relax before feeding on that side.

Your supply at the moment won't have settled down yet, so don't panic too much about more milk from one side over the other. Just keep switching breasts each and every feed, and perhaps try changing position on the more productive side too. You could also do a double feed from the less productive side once in a while to try and even things out if you think it's becoming a real problem for you.

HTH! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->