Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

TheNewMrs: I don't move when I'm in my own home. I warn people that I am about to breastfeed and they have the option to look away or go out of the room :flower: If I'm in someone's home, I ask where I can feed to be polite, unless I know them well or have asked before. I hope that makes sense :flower:

Just wanted a bit more advice...
I've been bf'ing my daughter for 4.5 months now and it's been going pretty well apart from a recent weight slow. She has always been sicky but they think she may have reflux?

Anyway in the last few days I've noticed when she has her lunchtime feed she's more fussy and only feeds for less than 10 minutes and then seems grumpy straight after. I try offering her again but she cries and pulls away. I then try her on the other side and she drinks more. I've noticed it usually falls that it's my right breast that she starts with at lunchtime-could I be producing less milk on that side or has she just drained it do quick? It's been very hot here recently, is she more thirsty and just wants foremilk?
I'm worried I'm not giving her enough milk?

my LO got super fussy when feeding around that time, they seem to wake up and are like ooh hello world and just everything gets more active :rofl: quite common for boobs to be uneven, or maybe shes able to drain that side faster, or could be any number of things. keep feeding and follow her lead tho. my lo used to prefer the right side and would yell if he didnt want the left, then his preference changed. could be something like that or could just be fussy 4m old.

if shes happy and healthy and having enough wet nappies then youre fine :)

Could be a faster letdown on that side too, If u have noticed it specific to one side.

I really need some help ladies. I'm an emotional wreck! My LO is only a few days old but after day 2 he just lost his latch, he wouldn't feed from me and was getting so stressed so I've had to pump and supplement a couple of times. I'm so upset, FF really wasn't something I've considered but I felt like I was starving him. I've tried so many different positions. He latches for a few seconds, gets frustrated, thrashes about and cries and won't latch. I would really appreciate any advice and tips or kind words haha.. I can't even describe this guilt, I had no idea how important BF was to me until I couldn't do it

Did it coincide with your milk coming it? Could be its a bit harder for LO to latch if your boobs are super full. Have you tried pumping a bit before a feed to deflate a bit?

You're persevering tho which a LOT of women wouldn't do. Keep at it and feel proud of yourself :hugs:

I'm pretty sure my milk came in today so that would make sense. I'll try expressing a little before our next feed. Thanks for the tip and encouragement! :hugs: xo

Hi ladies. :flower: Another question! I've been occasionally pumping after feeds if I'm still a bit engorged, I'll pump for 5 min then freeze whatever I get (going to wait to use anything till he's 6 weeks). Typically it's around 1oz, sometimes 2oz! I'm worried I'm taking away from LO because it seems like a lot. I offer the breast to him numerous times after he's done, just in case, but he locks his lips and generally passes out.

Is there any way I can tell for sure if he's getting enough? How many dirty diapers should a 2 week old have?

I found this on Kellymom:

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

So about 3-4 dirty and 5-6 wet!

Thank you! :hugs: He's already had 4 in about 9 hours, so one for every feed. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Leids, your boobs should adjust to make as much milk as your lo needs. Your breasts are never empty either, even when lo has had a full feed there will still be milk available x

Hi I'm having latching problem, my lo would latch on for two day when we were in the hospital and she's fussy cuz she wasn't getting enough so we had to supplement with formula, now my issue is she won't relatch and every time I offer her the boob she cries her lung out, and refuse it, I'm pumping and giving her it through the bottle but I would like her to latch on.

Hi I'm having latching problem, my lo would latch on for two day when we were in the hospital and she's fussy cuz she wasn't getting enough so we had to supplement with formula, now my issue is she won't relatch and every time I offer her the boob she cries her lung out, and refuse it, I'm pumping and giving her it through the bottle but I would like her to latch on.

I would suggest spending some time having a nursing vacation in bed. Bring in snacks, water and a few books and just lay in bed with her doing skin to skin and allow her the opportunity to latch even when she isn't hungry. The more relaxing, calm environment you can be in, the more likely she will come back to the boob.

Have a look here too https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ quite a lot of info tho so don't feel like you have to try everything at one

Try offering her your breast both for food and for comfort. Like PP said spend your entire day in bed, skin to skin, and dont force it. Allow LO to slowly suckle if she will. Try laying down. Try the cross-cradle hold or the football hold so you can help guide her head onto a better latch. Make sure nothing is touching the back of her head, including your hand, because her reflex will be to push her head back against it. xoxoxox :hugs:

I could really do with some help ladies!
My LO is 12 days old, and is exclusively breast fed. She seems to be constantly starving, feeds until she falls off my nipple, but then is hungry again 5 minutes later. She doesn't latch well, so I'm finding it very painful, even though I've found a position that works better for both of us. She opens her mouth really wide, I put her to my boob, but then she pulls back so just my nipple is in her mouth. I've been using nipple shields and lanolin balm. Now I'm too scared of the pain to attempt feeding without the shields.
Last night she fed from 11pm to 4am, came off the boob but continued to scream until 7am. I kept offering the boob, but she was screaming and screaming, and refused to latch on. Luckily yesterday was the first day I'd started expressing, and had 3oz in the fridge, which my OH gave her in a bottle so I could get some sleep. I ended up in tears because I couldn't stop my baby crying, and that my body had failed her in some way. I decided that when the supermarkets opened, I was going to send OH out to get some formula.
I've been able to feed a bit better today, (and actually NIP'd for the first time!) but we're still having problems. I seem to have a very painful letdown too :(
I've tried pumping again today, but haven't even been able to get half an oz! is that normal?
Thanks for reading, sorry about the essay!!

One thing which springs to mind is exaggerated latch to try and get her to to take in more boobie https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...F3dOklTP8mpUz_ISw&sig2=SBn8tNBzbj3q2Fop5MNehA

Also sounds like a bit of relaxation is in order, letdown is a psychological thing. Use whatever technique works for you I suppose, maybe visualise something warm and safe while listening to plinky plonkey music :)

Has she been checked out for tongue tie?

A lot of women don't respond to pumping especially when stressed so I think that sounds normal.

Well done for nip - plenty more where that came from :)

I'm sure others will have more suggestions tho. You're doing a wonderful job, you really will crack it :hugs:

Luci great job for Breastfeeding! Finding a good position like you said is important. Try to relax your body and shoulders. I know it hurts so much at the beginning but being tense can make let down harder.

It sounds like your LO is nursing frequently to up your supply. This is normal and they do it when they are approaching a little growth spurt. The best thing ti do it allow her to nurse because she will stimulate your milk production. The more you supplement the more you could fall behind.

For the pain try airdrying your nipples between feeds. Also rub some breastmilk on them and let that airdry. BM has natural healing qualities.

If you have to supplement don't get frustrated, just keep nursing as much as you possibly can. Also drink LOTS of water and try eating oatmeal to help up your supply

Thank you so much for your responses, I'll watch the link when my OH wakes up! How he manages to sleep through Evie screaming I have no idea :haha:

I'm not sure what tongue tie is? We have our first visit from the health visitor today, is that something she'll look for?

Is it going to cause any harm using nipple shields over a long period of time? I know they're only intended as a short term solution, until cracked nipples heal, but they help so much with her latching, and means I can cope with the pain without having to relatch her all the time.

I was worried that me pumping what seemed like such a large amount, especially on the first try, meant that I'd emptied my breasts, which meant there was none left for Evie. Could that have been the case? She guzzled the 3oz I'd expressed, but still wanted more!

I didn't buy formula in the end, but I'm starting to think it could be a good idea to have some in the house, just in case. I think part of my stress sunday night was that my baby was hungry, my body didn't seem to be feeding her, and the shops were all closed so we were stuck! Can it cause her harm to have the occasional bottle of formula? How do you decide which formula to use??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->